Contribute
Register

Let's talk about Broadwell's uknown(?) GPU hang/KP issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what you mean by "changed every value". To which kext?
Such experimentation must be done carefully. One value at a time.

And don't forget about the need to rebuild kernel cache (best to make changes outside /S/L/E, then install kext, then rebuild cache).

If you expect to solve this, it will require a certain effort to proceed carefully, verify everything...
I'm here just to suggest things to try.
Your responsibility to pursue the ideas.
AppleIntelBDWGraphics.kext/Contents/Info.plist. But why would someone tweak Apple's graphics drivers?

AppleIntelBDWGraphics.kext/Contents/Info.plist. But why would someone tweak Apple's graphics drivers?

Also see options in AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer.kext.

For the case some feature causes an issue with non-Apple hardware. Apple designs/tests their drivers for Apple hardware only.

Just to keep this post updated, here's what happens if you try Yosemite 10.10.5 on the same hardware.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 17021649_1483895068287910_8947017173279551120_n.jpg
    17021649_1483895068287910_8947017173279551120_n.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 1-4.jpg
    1-4.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 122
Just to keep this post updated, here's what happens if you try Yosemite 10.10.5 on the same hardware.

Not useful without "Problem Reporting" files.

Not useful without "Problem Reporting" files.
"Problem reporting" files in this case not useful either. It's clear from the verbose output that the GPU is "hanging". Broadwell drivers seem to be different on Yosemite.

"Problem reporting" files in this case not useful either. It's clear from the verbose output that the GPU is "hanging". Broadwell drivers seem to be different on Yosemite.

You provided the "output".
Useless without the "input".

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 99
I hope the files in ACPI/origin aren't old enough to be useless.

They are too old to compare against ACPI/patched.
Must be current.
It is the only way I can know that you didn't change BIOS rev, BIOS options, or hardware.

Also, is this a fresh install with everything on the system volume vanilla?
Why is ACPIBatteryManager.kext in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other? (it is not an essential kext).

config.plist/SMBIOS/Memory/Channels=0 is nonsense. Two memory modules implies dual-channel.
Note: You would be best off with matched memory modules (best practice).

Is the panic the same every time or does it change?

Last edited:
They are too old to compare against ACPI/patched.
Must be current.
It is the only way I can know that you didn't change BIOS rev, BIOS options, or hardware.

Also, is this a fresh install with everything on the system volume vanilla?
Why is ACPIBatteryManager.kext in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other? (it is not an essential kext).

config.plist/SMBIOS/Memory/Channels=0 is nonsense. Two memory modules implies dual-channel.
Note: You would be best off with matched memory modules (best practice).

Is the panic the same every time or does it change?
Updated the files. That Yosemite installation was 100% vanilla and clean installation. About the memory, I figured out that this motherboard doesn't support dual channel at all. So if I set dual channel in config.plist, I will get 3 memory slots on System Information. I removed the battery kext as you suggested. The panic, of course, is random.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 92
Updated the files. That Yosemite installation was 100% vanilla and clean installation. About the memory, I figured out that this motherboard doesn't support dual channel at all. So if I set dual channel in config.plist, I will get 3 memory slots on System Information. I removed the battery kext as you suggested. The panic, of course, is random.

Something is going wrong with your memory information.
Suggestion you focus on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back