Contribute
Register

Lepus48's Asus Strix Z370-F, with i7-8700k / RX 570 / 2x 4k Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you didn't enable iGPU, this will cause Quick-sync problems and overall GPU performance degradation.
I have this motherboard with an RX580, so i have experience.

Also, Madl0n created a DSDT for me, you can use it aswell, for native sleep and quick APFS booting.

Link for my EFI:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipklorzrdeeg34r/Z370-F 580X.zip?dl=0

Is there an easy way to test Quick Sync? I don't think I'd heard of the term before today and from what I've seen from google Final Cut Pro uses it to accelerate encoding, but thats not an app I have.

I'll check out the DSDT.

Could you please tell us what Firmware-Version your Board is using, just in case one must up- or downgrade to get it working like you. Eventually the RAM-placement problem gets fixed with a Firmware upgrade too(i have 2 16/3200 Sticks)?
Bios versions and downloads are listed here. The board shipped with the 0605 version, which is what I used originally, and I upgraded to 0606 when it came out. Both have worked without issue for me, but I would recommend holding off on updating.

0606 includes Intel's microcode mitigation for the Spectre security vulnerability and Intel has advised users to stop installing that update due to stability issues. They're supposed to be releasing a new version of the mitigation soon, which presumably Asus will push out as a BIOS update then.

Are you on High Sierra 10.13.3?

Yep, updated the day it came out.

Edit: Post showed up as one big link for some reason.

Suppose this guide should work for the ITX variant of this mobo as well?

Suppose this guide should work for the ITX variant of this mobo as well?

The BIOS and some of the other details yes, but the USB layout is likely to be very different.

Thanks for your Answers, @Lepus48 i finally have my install ready and thanks to @MatiCohen Sound Wake/Sleep and all Ports work finally. Here are my experience with this install which i posted also in the neighbourthread for the Z-370-G:

Thanks for this awesome Thread! Instead of the Asus ROG Strix Z370-G i have the Asus ROG Stix Z370-F Motherboard. I migrated from a Asus Z170 Deluxe. I simply moved my old Startup-Disk (a Samsung m.2 nvme 950Pro 512GB), installed it in this board and replaced the EFI-Folder with this one (Post #41, from @MatiCohen - maybe those from @pastrychef work too). But this EFI-Folder together with my already functioning 10.13.3 Installation brought me total compatibility. Sound works, all USB-Ports work, wake/sleep, no lag, you name it. I even overclocked like pastrychef suggested video. Unfortuntely, with 5GHz overclock i got crashes, so i set it to 4,7GHz and since then it is stable, my Geekbench Multicore is roundabout 29600 with 2x16 = 32GB 3400-RAM and the i7-8700K. not thad bad i guess.

More then once pastrychef saved my ass, maybe the best post/tip for me was his recommendation to manipulate the nvidia Driver in 10.13.2 then upgrade to 10.13.3. This worked for me, no lag whatsoever. I did this in my old install with the Z170 Board, then migrated my startupdrive to the new Z370-F Motherboard, switched efi-folders, overclocked and done!

For wifi i have a old TP-Link WND4800 (only 802.11n, but didn't use it much anyway). which gets recognized oob. For Bluetooth (4.0) i use a usb dongle which also gets recogniced oob. So no work here. I also have a second 1GB-Ethernet-Card in this rig which also is natively working oob (bought years ago, used it in several hack's). I have all but 2 internal USB2 Ports functioning, where i dont need those 2 of the 4 internal usb2 ports.

What seems like a straightforward install was an iterative process. Trying to install fresh on a new drive worked, but gave me no sound and only a few usb-ports. Several times i got the "OS X cannot installed on this computer" error which i eventually got resolved in trying another usb-port for install. Having installed a fresh 10.13.3 (with no nvidia drivers) enabled me to do the new efi install on my old startup-drive. I was even able to start from the old z170 install but with issues maybe because of iMac 14.2-Definition. Changing the EFI Folder and i was back in the game, now with 6 instead of (the 6700K) 4 cores and a few hundert MHz faster. While the Z170 deluxe was a nice board, i didn't got sound and usb working like it should, now with the Z370-F everything works and seems alot smoother. Highly recommended!

BIG, BIG thanks to this community here without you all i would be damned to use a sluggish macmini till the end of my days... ;)

I didn't have to do anything special.

I think that during the install the text might have been tiny. Afterwards though, the displays were both detected as 3840 x 2160 and everything was upscaled to be the size you'd expect on a 1080p 27" monitor, only much sharper.

agree unable to get 4k with HDMI but DisplayPort works perfect on my ASUS Pro Art Display

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 10.17.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 10.17.49 AM.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 187
Nice build. I am in the process of building a Mini ITX with similar specs. Probably redundant question given the date of your post, but you went with High Sierra on this one, correct?

Nice build. I am in the process of building a Mini ITX with similar specs. Probably redundant question given the date of your post, but you went with High Sierra on this one, correct?

Yep. I don't think that it would work with Sierra.

Check, thanks! Can't wait to get started on this one :)

By the way, why did you upgrade the WiFi? The integrated onboard WiFi isn’t compatible with Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back