Contribute
Register

Lenovo Y50 will not boot to setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put in the "nv_disable = 1" and deleted the graphics kext thing from earlier and booted into verbose. The Geforce sensor messages went away but instead I am getting a "Still waiting for root device" and the circle with the line comes back. What else should I do to get this to work?

I put in the "nv_disable = 1" and deleted the graphics kext thing from earlier and booted into verbose. The Geforce sensor messages went away but instead I am getting a "Still waiting for root device" and the circle with the line comes back. What else should I do to get this to work?

Hard to know without a photo.

A guess would be you don't have GenericUSBXHCI.kext: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Generic-USB3, but there are other things that cause the same problem.

It will be hard to take a photo the failed screen because the text is distorted once the circle shows up. Here is a picture right before the circle shows up. 1974331_10205078185252079_3627721053094263140_o.jpg

It will be hard to take a photo the failed screen because the text is distorted once the circle shows up. Here is a picture right before the circle shows up. View attachment 110147

You have a USB problem. Try flags:
USBBusFix=Yes
EHCIhard=Yes
EHCIacquire=Yes

Same thing happened but less USB errors came up this time.

10687391_10205078560581462_6861855947856152506_o.jpg

Same thing happened but less USB errors came up this time.

View attachment 110156

Try different USB ports, USB sticks, and check for USB options in BIOS.

I assume you copied the GenericUSBXCHI.kext to /Extra/Extensions...

There is also USBLegacyOff=Yes/No...

I did copy the genericusb kext into the usb. I tried changing ports, changing sticks, and enabling/disabling USBLegacyOff and I am getting the same errors. Am I out of options?

I did copy the genericusb kext into the usb. I tried changing ports, changing sticks, and enabling/disabling USBLegacyOff and I am getting the same errors. Am I out of options?

Did you try the other flags I mentioned? (perhaps trying all of them).

Also, look at BIOS settings...

Try to use not-so-fancy USB sticks. Cheap USB2 sticks (8GB) are best (like the Sandisk that are sold in packs of 3 at costco).

Other options:
- try Clover
- put the installer on a partition on the HDD

I did use all the other flags you mentioned earlier. I am currently using a 16GB Lexar USB 2.0 stick that I got from Fry's on Black Friday a couple years back. Am I not using Clover right now? I thought I have been using it. I also looked at the BIOS settings on the computer and there are no settings involving USB other than Boot to USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back