Hey thx for your great tips rehabman ;)

This is my first laptop build i have a Lenovo y5070

CPU i7
RAM 16 GB
GPU Geforce 860m 4gb + Intel HD 4600
Audio Realtek ALC 283
Lan Realtek (dunno the model)
WiFi: Atheros AR956x

same problem here have to boot with -x and when i install the 10.9.4 Combo Update instant restart.
I haven't patch my mach_kernal and power management yet (just found out about them) and haven't compiled any DSDT (never needed it before). will try the linux thing but seeing as i'm kinda new to all this patching and DSDT thing could you be so kind and like share a little guide for me and the guys here.

Thank you very much in advance.
BTW this is my first post here :D YAY!

What bootloader are you using?

Chameleon revision 2400

I have the 4k model and have been considering this, is the 4k screen a deal breaker?

Sorry for my total ignorance, haven't attempted a laptop before, I have stuck closely to the customac configs and only desktops. I am mildly and inexplicably terrified.

I have the 4k model and have been considering this, is the 4k screen a deal breaker?

Sorry for my total ignorance, haven't attempted a laptop before, I have stuck closely to the customac configs and only desktops. I am mildly and inexplicably terrified.

QHD info:

There is some detailed info here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...raphics-qhd-built-display-need-some-help.html

Also here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/137928-guide-dell-xps-9530-a.html

RehabMan you are the best in the business. I will report back my successes, or lack there of.

Thanks again!

Okay, my success has been...eh hem... very limited.

I was able to install, and I am able to boot into Yosemite and get a full UHD/4k resolution display (After waiting through minutes of beachball post-login) so long as I don't inject Intel GFX or implement any of the necessary graphics fixes. If I inject I either boot to a black screen or freeze after bluetooth.

I unlocked my bios in an attempt to mirror the QHD+ instructions and pre-allocate more DVMT memory. Changing the memory allocation to anything other than 32 MB results in a panic on boot.

I feel like I am close to a eureka moment. It is just out of grasp. Any thoughts?

Okay, my success has been...eh hem... very limited.

I was able to install, and I am able to boot into Yosemite and get a full UHD/4k resolution display (After waiting through minutes of beachball post-login) so long as I don't inject Intel GFX or implement any of the necessary graphics fixes. If I inject I either boot to a black screen or freeze after bluetooth.

I unlocked my bios in an attempt to mirror the QHD+ instructions and pre-allocate more DVMT memory. Changing the memory allocation to anything other than 32 MB results in a panic on boot.

I feel like I am close to a eureka moment. It is just out of grasp. Any thoughts?

You should read the QHD info very carefully. You also need to patch a framework...

You should read the QHD info very carefully. You also need to patch a framework...

Framework was patched, but changing it [EDIT: it=DVMT per-allocation in BIOS] to anything other than 32 still causes a panic. That said, in my tinkering I somehow (science?) was able to manage quasi qe/qi but the screen flickers and goes nuts. I am using ig-platform-id value 0x0a2e0008 (as used in the Dell QHD+ guide) and I have the patched framework in place and the Clover kext patch for 96mb DVMT pre-allocation... I just am unable to actually preallocate that without a panic. I think perhaps it might not be necessary (out on a limb here) as the card is recognized and is reporting ~1500 mb ram.

I am not sure how to continue to tune. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I also have the y50 4k model, and I have tried all the patches for the 4600 in this thread and others but have not tried unlocking the bios yet. I can boot into Yosemite 10.10.1 with quite a bit of rainbow wheel as well, but the display section in the system report shows no kext loaded under Intel 4600 no matter if i run a fresh install and use kext patches through clover or not. I have tried so many different config.plist files at this point and I'm not sure what to do next. I don't have a DSDT file for my system at all and I'm not sure if I should or if that would help.

I can use Yosemite but there's no transparency or QE/CI and under About Mac it only ever shows 31MB, no higher...even with the 96MB kext patch.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back