I got the same problem with ThinkPad x220: i5-2410M/4GB/250GB/HD3000
I partitioned the disk as 4 using windows 'diskpart' command:
clean
convert gpt
create primary partition efi size=200
create primary partition size=190000
create primary partition size=30000
create primary partition size=8000

Then, I restored 10.6.3 SL dmg to partition 4, then boot from it using iBoot-Legacy.
The install succeeded, and everytime I run 10.6.8 combo update package, it fails with five-languages error, or, sometimes a bunch of error log spreads full of screen.

update to 10.6.7 success, but the disk will not boot after chimera/chameleon installed (either by hand or by multibease 3.9.0).

10.6.7 can be booted by iBoot-Legacy still, but no kext loaded.

I managed to use grub4dos on a u-disk to chain-loader the harddisk, and the chimera boots, load SL, and stucked on SL loading white screen (an apple on center, even the loading wheel does not come out).

still waiting for solution.

Another thing, I guess that the BIOS of x220 simply ignores the MBR (so the boot0) when it founds that the boot disk is gpt-partitioned, maybe this is why the chimera/chameleon does not get booted.

of cause one can change the EFI partition's type in MBR to another signature, i.e 0xef, and the BIOS will treat the disk as a MBR disk, and the boot0 will get booted (I didnot try this, but I did get windows on partition 2 get booted after do so). But, SL setup program will now see the disk as an MBR disk also and refuse to install to any partition.

Hi guys,

thanks to napbird i managed to install Lion on my x220 and thought I'd share my experiences with you since some of napbirds explanations weren't clear to me on some points, maybe it helps someone out there ;). It get pretty easy if you have access to a working Lion,... then you can skip the first paragraph.

--- Take these steps if you DON'T have access to a working Lion somewhere else ---
For all boots until Lion was installed I used iBoot Boot cd. I formatted the driver as GPT with esenntially 2 partitions. And installed SL 1.6.0 to the larger one, where i wanten Lion later. After installing I ran Multibeast on it and Installed Chameleon and system specs for mbp 8.1. After a reboot (using iBoot) I used UpdateHelper and installed the combo update for 1.6.8. After the reboot I had a prpblem with my graphics hardware which prevented OSX from booting. Nevertheless the update was installed. I decided to postpone fixing the kernel panic and hoped updating to lion would solve the problem - it did. To get the Lion installer files I used a VM ware image of OSX SL in combination with xMove, to put the installer files to the second partition on the laptop HD. Then i used rBoot LE cd to boot the Lion installer. Installer didn'nt continue on "less than a minute" but it worked nevertheless. Afterwards I could directly boot into Lion with graphics working. Only the top left USB works so get a usb hub and a external mouse/keyboard. I took another HD and copied (restored) the Lion partition to that HD using Disk Utility. Then i formatted the laptop HD back to MBR with gparted and only one partition. I used my SL VM to copy/restore the saved Lion installation back to the laptop HD.

--- Read here if you have access to a Lion installation somewhere ---
Since Lion (like any unix based system) can be copied, the easiest way to get it on your x220 is find someone with Lion already installed, and just copy that system via disk utility and restore it to a MBR formatted Laptop drive using Disk Utility. Then you have to copy Chamelen, the boot headers and system specs (or just use Multibeast, if you have access to a mac/vm). Care if u copy another hackintosh installation, because you might have kexts in there that can cause kernel panics.

--- Thoughts ---
Another way would have been to clone a Lion VM directly on a drive,... this would probably work or update my SL VM and then clone it,... should, work, but i didn't try, so no guarantee here, just remember removing the necessary kexts for the virtual machine.

Ok. So far, the following works/doesn't work when you add VoodooHDA and VoodooPS2 to the kexts:
- Graphics with display port (I had to correct the color profile for my monitor und sys prefs)
- Laptop speakers (VoodooHDA) work, however no external speakers
- Upper left usb, the others jist have electricity, no data,... not sure maybe a USB3 issue, haven't looked into this
- Keyboard works
- Touchpad can move the mouse, but not click
- Trackpoint doesn't work
- Ethernet/Wi-Fi don't work,... I think I'll get a Asus n10 wifi stick here
- Fan control,... fan is really noisy although the CPU is at 45 degrees
- Brightness control, the IPS panel can really burn your eyes if the room gets a bit dark o_O
- VGA doesn't work,... I think that's only a problem for people wanting to do presentations
- strange enough, digitizer works..... somehow ..... just seems a bit miscalibrated. Then again I think it's just a wacom device on an internal USB

I think if we could get external sound to work,.. we could use it as a desktop (external mouse/keyboard). For mobile use,... the keyboard and the Touchpad/Trackpoint have to be fixed. And the USBs might also be relevant. Any ideas? I'm not really familiar with kext but it seems those worked for napbird, can you maybe give us the source where you got your kexts/versions from, or do we have to manually edit something else?

I hope this helped, and somebody got ideas what to do from here ;) I'm a bit out of ideas right now.
Cheers
Tom

Kouran, great article!

- Touchpad can move the mouse, but not click
Try tapping on the touchpad instead of clicking on the key.

- Trackpoint doesn't work
Same here.

- Ethernet/Wi-Fi don't work,... I think I'll get a Asus n10 wifi stick here
Use Multibeast's hnak AppleIntelE100e kext

- Fan control,... fan is really noisy although the CPU is at 45 degrees
Follow this article to enable CPU mgmt: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofive ... 58611.html

- Brightness control, the IPS panel can really burn your eyes if the room gets a bit dark o_O
It will work better with the CPU mgmt enabled.

- VGA doesn't work,... I think that's only a problem for people wanting to do presentations
Didn't test this myself.

- strange enough, digitizer works..... somehow ..... just seems a bit miscalibrated. Then again I think it's just a wacom device on an internal USB
I don't have the tablet version of x220.

Thank you Napbird and Kouran!

Kouran, would you mind giving me more details on the part you mentioned about "VM ware image of OSX SL in combination with xMove, to put the installer files to the second partition on the laptop HD. Then i used rBoot LE cd to boot the Lion installer."

How did you put the installer files to the 2nd partion with the image of SL?

I am still having trouble trying to install Lion on my X220 despite probably reformatting the machine almost 50 times already!!

I would be most appreciative if you could post step by step instructions on how to do this. I am close to losing all my hair after pulling at it repeatedly.

Thanks!

Hi,Thank you, Napbird.

I had got lion on x220.

but... After wakeup(from sleep),Lion missed USB.
I can't use USB before reboot.

How can I fix this issue?
DTDS patch?

someone, help me.
please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back