Contribute
Register

Lenovo ThinkPad X230 (Tablet) compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
..... the only things that need work are graphics (the HD 4000 has QE/CI working with resolution changing, but the UI is a little laggy compared to a real MBP) and sound .....

I believe I had the sound working correctly using VoodooHDA-2.7.3.pkg . However I had to reinstall because of a stupid mistake and now the sound, using the same package, is not working well at all.

Sorry for no updates on this, I've only just settled into life in the South Pacific. Which includes ridiculously slow internet - if it works at all!

Freeman, let me know if you need help with checking your procedure - I'll have a lot of time to play for the next few weeks and happy to help in anyway.

what about the progress that has been made on the Samsung 700t tablet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVTk_VNURAU

shows that this group, Touch-Base has modified some software of theirs, to work with the wacom digitizer within that.

http://touch-base.com/documentation/Slate.htm

Actually, they have drivers for the X230t. I saw them about 3 weeks ago. However, they are unsuitable for two reasons:
1. These drivers are paid software ($270+). Prohibitively expensive for most of us.
2. The pen support is apparently crap (although touch is apparently great). That's useless to me. My end goal is full pressure sensitivity.
I'll keep looking into it.

I believe I had the sound working correctly using VoodooHDA-2.7.3.pkg . However I had to reinstall because of a stupid mistake and now the sound, using the same package, is not working well at all.

Sorry for no updates on this, I've only just settled into life in the South Pacific. Which includes ridiculously slow internet - if it works at all!

Freeman, let me know if you need help with checking your procedure - I'll have a lot of time to play for the next few weeks and happy to help in anyway.

Hey Dave,
I got VoodooBattery working soon after you did your move (glad that went well by the way!). It was installed in E/E.. silly me.
I installed VoodooHDA once upon a time, but it refused to work at all. Plus it's extremely crash prone and breaks sleep. Not a fan.
Modding our AppleHDA.kext is our best hope of full compatibility, but it's really hard. I'll keep checking to see if anyone's done it yet.
This appleHDA.kext (credit to TakeAwayDave of these forums) is designed for a speaker config extremely close to ours (a different version of the alc 269VC), so a small part of it works. Sound output from the headphone jack is operational. Progress can be made.

Install to S/L/E AFTER backing up your original AppleHDA.

Attachments

• AppleHDA.kext.zip
    728.3 KB · Views: 210
aw man, that's just disappointing, i bought this tablet thinking it'd be in the full realm of possibility, guess not :( i'll just stick with windows 8 for now and i'll keep an eye out, i wish i had some experience or know-how when it comes to creating kext's and whatnot

I also own a x230 laptop and would like to install OSX86 as the second OS on a mSATA SSD drive which I have just installed into the system. The original OS is a Win 7 partition on the default 500 GB HD. I have been running OSX already on a desktop hackintosh beside a real MBP.
I have already installed Mountain Lion on the SSD in the X230 using UniBeast but would like to know what MultiBeast options I should use to properly patch the system. Are there any guides already available somewhere describing the installation processes (even if it is not with Multibeast)? I´m willing to contribute and do some testing if I get some guidelines, despite I am not a full time OSX hacker.
regards -attila

Hi guys,

just want to share my experience. I have the x230 tablet 3434-CTO (i7-3520M) Multitouch with 16Gb RAM, Windows 8 on SSD, linux and Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on mSATA SSD.

I followed this thread (http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=102098) for kexts modifications and patches and SSDT and DSDT creations

I'm quite satisfied at the moment, it has a good boot up time on the mSATA SSD (15 secs).

What's working:

- Intel HD 4000 with QE/CI and screen rotation (in Sys Preferences) using this in "org.chameleon.Boot.plist":

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HD4000PlatformId</key>
<string>3</string>

- Backlit keyboard, trackpad and UltraNav: ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
- Camera: out of the box
- Ethernet: AppleIntelE1000e.kext
- SDHC card Reader: modified VoodooSDHC.kext from (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctfk0iroj4zr3ya/VoodooSDHC.kext.x220.zip)
- Sound: VoodooHDA.kext with modifications of Device and Vendor id (followed example: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267905-voodoohda-common-problems/); commented out HDA in DSDT to avoid kernel panic from AppleHDA.kext
- USB 2 port: out of the box
- USB 3 ports: out of the box for USB 3 devices, however, cannot recognize USB 2 devices?
- Restart: I believe that it's EvOreboot.kext but not sure.
- Shutdown: DSDT patch (but sometimes still need to press the flashing power button for 8 secs, think it depends if you choose to shutdown with the menu or the button)

Does not work:

- WIFI
- Mic (should work but need to put time on testing different settings)
- Mute Mic and Thinkpad Advantage (is it called like that?) buttons
- sleep and wake-up, the DSDT is patched ok for the USBEHCI 1 and 2 however I think I need to patch for ISD-V4 tablet and USBXHCI, don't know.

Workarounds:

- Pen and touch are recognized out of the box however pen is not well calibrated and touch, well, it can only touch where the cursor is found. With an external program (ControllerMate), I've calibrated Pen and Touch so it works, however, the program (ControllerMate) and UserEventAgent are using the IOHIDDriver at the same time so touch is usable but not the pen cause two calibrations are working at the same time (two cursors). It should be possible to either change the data in the ReportDescriptor of the driver to have good calibration or to stop the UserEventAgent and have only ControllerMate control the tablet. An other option would be to try modifying the plist of the kexts files used by the Wacom drivers (I tried a lot of modifications without any results).

- WIFI: Nano USB device

Don't know if it works:

- Bluetooth: don't have
- Fingerprint reader: don't have
- VGA or display ports: didn't try yet

If you have any recommendations or questions, please, give or ask away.

I'll keep you up to date with any modifications.

Does not work:

- WIFI
- Mic (should work but need to put time on testing different settings)
- Mute Mic and Thinkpad Advantage (is it called like that?) buttons
- sleep and wake-up, the DSDT is patched ok for the USBEHCI 1 and 2 however I think I need to patch for ISD-V4 tablet and USBXHCI, don't know.

Well, I think you need to remove nullcpupowermanagment.kext. Sleep and wake should work fine after that.

I tried messing around with controllermate a few weeks ago and couldn't figure it out.. thanks for that. And congrats for doing this on your own!

I'm going to make a new thread with all of this information, organized. Nag me so I'll remember.. haha

Also, here's my DSDT if that helps.

And now for the boring disclaimer stuff.
** ATTENTION: If your computer quits working or decides to jump off a cliff, I cannot accept responsibility. This DSDT is experimental (though it works fine on my machine). Apply my changes to a DSDT that you extract. **

Attachments

• dsdt.aml.zip
    28 KB · Views: 222
Hey hey,

thx a lot, I compared DSDTs and I think my problem was that the DTGP patch was not at the right place. I removed the nullcpupowermanagment.kext and yeah sleep and wake work!!!

For ControllerMate, you could try the file I attached and see if it lets you control the multitouch, and you'll understand the problems of the dual cursors.

Thx again.

Unrelated stuff, my SSD with Windows 8 just died, BIOS not recognizing it and an other computer with Linux doesn't see it either. really sucks.

Attachments

• X230t Virtual Tablet.cmate.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 224
yeah i was running into that dual cursor problem back when i tried to use controllermate

would it even be possible to allow only Controllermate to handle all the tablet/touch input? because speaking of touch, that works pretty well too besides the fact that it registers a touch the instant the screen is touched, thus making a selection wherever you touch

blocking the tablet and the touch would make it so much better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back