Contribute
Register

Lenovo ThinkPad X230 (Tablet) compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why, but while booting into system through the install disk I have speed stepping working out of the box. While booting directly by system disk it won't work even on the same kexts... o_O

I don't know why, but while booting into system through the install disk I have speed stepping working out of the box.

How do you know?

While booting directly by system disk it won't work even on the same kexts... o_O

Booting using the Unibeast USB is much different than booting directly from your HDD. There are a bunch of kexts loading from the USB that are not loading in the case of booting from the HDD. See your /Extra/Extensions on your USB.

I don't know why, but while booting into system through the install disk I have speed stepping working out of the box. While booting directly by system disk it won't work even on the same kexts... o_O

RehabMan is right. There is no way to tell if it's actually working short of installing a few things in terminal and recording speeds. I thought I had it working with a custom SSDT, but my machine runs at 1.2ghz unless started while plugged in. I really haven't had the time to look into it though.

Also, RehabMan, I've been meaning to talk to you. I'm using your VoodooPS2Controller to enable the nub (red pointer thingy, aka UltraNav) on my X230t but there are a bunch of issues, probably related to your ProBook having different hardware. Sometimes it doesn't work on boot, every click is a double click, and the refresh rate on the input seems a bit low. Also the scroll button acts as a middle click as well. A guy made an UltraNav Kext a few years ago, but it got abandoned and is no longer the best. Could you please look into this for me? Thanks for all your work.

RehabMan is right. There is no way to tell if it's actually working short of installing a few things in terminal and recording speeds. I thought I had it working with a custom SSDT, but my machine runs at 1.2ghz unless started while plugged in. I really haven't had the time to look into it though.

Also, RehabMan, I've been meaning to talk to you. I'm using your VoodooPS2Controller to enable the nub (red pointer thingy, aka UltraNav) on my X230t but there are a bunch of issues, probably related to your ProBook having different hardware. Sometimes it doesn't work on boot, every click is a double click, and the refresh rate on the input seems a bit low. Also the scroll button acts as a middle click as well. A guy made an UltraNav Kext a few years ago, but it got abandoned and is no longer the best. Could you please look into this for me? Thanks for all your work.

There is actually support for the nub in the kext. I made some changes a while back to support a PS2 device operating in pass-through mode (which some of the thinkpad nubs use). As far as I know that support still works. You could install the debug version to see if pass-through mode is being detected or not.

It could be your nub works in a different way. It might use PS2 multiplexing, which no PS2 kext for OS X supports; and adding it would be a fairly significant effort.

HI all, hi Freeman,

I came across this thread on my journey to install OSX on my x230 (no "t"-Version though, which seens to be not the worst according to the issues with the wacom device as far as I got from this thread)

I did not yet start tranforming my x230 just gathering all the information I could get so I don't run into the same issues other People ran in before.

My x230 has an i7 cpu, 512GB SSD form Samsung (pro Series), 8 GB Ram and I plan to install Snow Leopard since I have a license lying around. If it helps though, I would also be willing to buy a newer Version.

Freeman, I wonder if you managed to write down your findings in a new thread as mentioned before
I'm going to make a new thread with all of this information, organized. Nag me so I'll remember.. haha

I would totally be happy to receive the link, as this seems to be just what I need.

Oh. by the way: did anyone try to use the expresscard port in x230 already? I Need firewire under macosx and wanted to buy a expresscard firewire Adapter to go with the x230.

thanks a lot in advance for any input

HI all, hi Freeman,

I came across this thread on my journey to install OSX on my x230 (no "t"-Version though, which seens to be not the worst according to the issues with the wacom device as far as I got from this thread)

I did not yet start tranforming my x230 just gathering all the information I could get so I don't run into the same issues other People ran in before.

My x230 has an i7 cpu, 512GB SSD form Samsung (pro Series), 8 GB Ram and I plan to install Snow Leopard since I have a license lying around. If it helps though, I would also be willing to buy a newer Version.

Freeman, I wonder if you managed to write down your findings in a new thread as mentioned before

I would totally be happy to receive the link, as this seems to be just what I need.

Oh. by the way: did anyone try to use the expresscard port in x230 already? I Need firewire under macosx and wanted to buy a expresscard firewire Adapter to go with the x230.

thanks a lot in advance for any input

Please provide complete details in your profile.

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + screen resolution

Hi RehabMan,

done as requested...for some weird reason I still donno how to install Snow Leopard on my x230, so it didn't help ;-) haha, just kidding.

Ok, so here is what I did so far:
1.) Downloaded iBoot Ivy Bridge Version from the Downloads Section and burned to CD
2.) Bootet into iBoot, swapped iBoot cd with Snow Leopard install DVD
3.) F5 to refresh the selection of bootable devices until Mac OS Install DVD shows up
4.) Entered boot opion "GraphicsEnabler=No" as boot option (all other options or no options entered always lead to a Kernel panic)
5.) Installed Mac OSx (with external USB Mouse an Keyboard, since internal keyboard and mouse obviously didn't work)
(Setings for Installation where: GUID Partition Layout, 2 Partitions while basically the second partions was left blank for later subpartitioning for Windows 7 and some share drive for both systems, while first partion i Mac OS Extended (journaled) Format. Chosse German language in installer, deslected all installation packages possible to speed up installation since I already performed quite some installs before and didn't want to wait for another 40 minutes) after installation completed, reboot laptop
6.) during reboot swap medium again to have iboot cd in drive
7.) in iboot enter "GraphicsEnabler=No" again (failed without this option again)
8.) Boot into Mac OS X snow leopard
9.) Install the Combo Upgrade for Snow Leopard
10.) Run multibeast with the options to install the boot loader (Chimera) and the custom DSTS that was posted by freeman (nothing else)
11.) reboot first time without CD and the bootloader shows up, boots into Mac OS X partition but then the laptop instantly restart. I see a quick error message "Header real size 200 Incorrect image signature." before reboot, but thats it.
I tried several boot options, without cache and in verbose mode etc. But none of them worked. Also using boot options "-x" or "GraphicsEnabler=No" didn't do the trick.

Thats it, from here on I am lost and could need some help. Isn't just choosing the custom DSTS from Freeman enough of a selection do I need to install other packages too? Maybe I got the concept wrong :)
I googled the "Header real size 200 Incorrect image signature." Problem, and it seems to be related to some hibernation settings, so I might have missed installing something there.

Anyone an idea about what I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for your feedback
Paul

little update:
I installed some basic packages using multibeast (e.g. for the powermanagement thing that caused some problems and some others) and now I can start Mac OS X Snow Leopard. BUT I can only start it from iboot boot cd, not from the harddisk. Multibeast seems to install a boot loader that is not ivy bridge compatible (or whatever the reason is).

When I boot from cd I do have keyboard support (installed the PS2 package) but I run in 32bit mode it seems (only 4GB RAM available out of 8GB) and the video rsolution is limited to 1024x768

I found another posting on another forum where it says that Snow Leopard acutally does not support Ivy Bridge CPUs and thus als the HD400 Grpahics are not supported. Can you guys confirm that I need at least Lion to get my x230 running on Mac?

I tried donwloading Maverisk from the APP Store and it did some first installation procedures but then wanted me to reboot and then thats it, same problem I can boot from HDD and when I do from cd the Installer from Maverisk seemed to have forgotten that it was just about to Upgrade and Snow Leopard was still running but no upgrade being performed.

:(

little update:
I installed some basic packages using multibeast (e.g. for the powermanagement thing that caused some problems and some others) and now I can start Mac OS X Snow Leopard. BUT I can only start it from iboot boot cd, not from the harddisk. Multibeast seems to install a boot loader that is not ivy bridge compatible (or whatever the reason is).

When I boot from cd I do have keyboard support (installed the PS2 package) but I run in 32bit mode it seems (only 4GB RAM available out of 8GB) and the video rsolution is limited to 1024x768

I found another posting on another forum where it says that Snow Leopard acutally does not support Ivy Bridge CPUs and thus als the HD400 Grpahics are not supported. Can you guys confirm that I need at least Lion to get my x230 running on Mac?

Snow Leopard does not support Ivy. iBoot Ivy is just to allow access to the Mac App Store (provided update to 10.6.8 and working Ethernet) so you can download a supported version of OS X.

Only Lion 10.7.5, ML, or Mavericks supports Ivy.

I tried donwloading Maverisk from the APP Store and it did some first installation procedures but then wanted me to reboot and then thats it, same problem I can boot from HDD and when I do from cd the Installer from Maverisk seemed to have forgotten that it was just about to Upgrade and Snow Leopard was still running but no upgrade being performed.

You cannot use the OS X installer directly on PCs... That works only on Macs. Instead you must create a USB with Unibeast.

Thx a lot for this input RehabMan, that actually helps me understanding my situation :)

I found a tutorial on how to install snow leopard using a ML Kernel though, but at the end this is not a desirable installation.
I just orderd the ML Key in the App Store, hope to receive it soon.

In the meantime I have one more quesion:
How can I debug what the issue is with my installed bootloader on the primary hard drive or is it actually impossible to boot from HDD directly using snow leopard (with ivy bridge CPU even with the kernel "patch")?

As said before I can boot with the iboot (Ivy Bridge 1.1.0 Release) then select the Hard drive to boot into Snow Leopard, this works. Whatever I install using Multibeast though, I cannot boot directly from the HDD (I mean since it is possible to start it with the iboot ivy bridge version, it should be possible to start it also without it with a local boot loader even though it might neve be possible to use the full potential of the hardware with this approach).

I also installed a newer version of Charmelion to give it a try, no success. I copied the settings from the org.chaneleon.Boot.plist to my harddrives Chamelon installer for testing: didn't work either.

I will try creating the Boot usb drive using unibeast now with the downloaded Mavericks installer, lets see how that goes. Even though I do not really want tp use Mavericks after all these bad reviews in the app store about that relase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back