Contribute
Register

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 get stuck on the loading screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried, nothing.
I also tried to make a USB2.0 that I found with Mojave and the same clover folder but nothing
wondering if it is a bios issue, you can upload your bios screens if you like

also what hard drive/ssd/nvme is in your machine? make and model

No problem, I realized a short videos on my Bios
I hope linking is not a problem
Drive SAMSUNG MZVLB512HAJQ-000L7

No problem, I realized a short videos on my Bios
I hope linking is not a problem
Drive SAMSUNG MZVLB512HAJQ-000L7
PM981 is not supported and causes issues, especially with booting

may need this:

Now, at least, we have a possible main cause.
Thank you. I tried with the new NVMeFix 1.0.2 (published some days ago, the developer writes that now it supports PM981!!!!) but it didn't work. (I think the only thing to do is insert the kext and try to boot, right?)
Meanwhile I made some research and I found a RehabMan guide to create SSDT-NVMe, that was the SSDT I have already had, and HackrNVMeFamily.kext. In the guide creating the kext requires a working MacOS so I used a kext that I found on the internet. Although I don't think this all is useful for Catalina because the guide was written for MacOS Sierra.
I found an interesting issue on GitHub where the user managed to install Catalina in another disk and then clone the image in PM981 disk, and boot. This could be a possibility I will explore in the future. They also wondered if it was possible to fresh install the OS on the drive, so I wrote my contribution saying that for me this isn't possible for now.
The only thing to understand is if the fact that boot get stuck depends actually on the drive (a user was doubtful, but at the moment it's the best hypothesis) or on something else. But we (mainly you) explored a lot of possibilities. If I have some news I will alert. If someone has other ideas I'm happy to listen to.
sorry for the length of the post, and sorry for the english but I'm Italian. Hope you all stay well and thanks again for the support!

Now, at least, we have a possible main cause.
Thank you. I tried with the new NVMeFix 1.0.2 (published some days ago, the developer writes that now it supports PM981!!!!) but it didn't work. (I think the only thing to do is insert the kext and try to boot, right?)
Meanwhile I made some research and I found a RehabMan guide to create SSDT-NVMe, that was the SSDT I have already had, and HackrNVMeFamily.kext. In the guide creating the kext requires a working MacOS so I used a kext that I found on the internet. Although I don't think this all is useful for Catalina because the guide was written for MacOS Sierra.
I found an interesting issue on GitHub where the user managed to install Catalina in another disk and then clone the image in PM981 disk, and boot. This could be a possibility I will explore in the future. They also wondered if it was possible to fresh install the OS on the drive, so I wrote my contribution saying that for me this isn't possible for now.
The only thing to understand is if the fact that boot get stuck depends actually on the drive (a user was doubtful, but at the moment it's the best hypothesis) or on something else. But we (mainly you) explored a lot of possibilities. If I have some news I will alert. If someone has other ideas I'm happy to listen to.
sorry for the length of the post, and sorry for the english but I'm Italian. Hope you all stay well and thanks again for the support!
have seen other posts and the installer refuses to work with the drive plugged in

you could test by removing the drive and see if you can get to the installer as a test

but i think you may need to replace it

have seen other posts and the installer refuses to work with the drive plugged in

you could test by removing the drive and see if you can get to the installer as a test

but i think you may need to replace it
Disassembled the laptop, removed the hard drive. It doesn’t boot :crazy: who knows
If in the next days someone manage to fresh install the problem could be another one

Disassembled the laptop, removed the hard drive. It doesn’t boot :crazy: who knows
If in the next days someone manage to fresh install the problem could be another one
best start fresh with your clover as we did so many edits to it :)

best start fresh with your clover as we did so many edits to it :)
Good idea, I don’t want to take advantage of your kindness but can you send me a tested working version of Clover? I don’t have other laptops to try if it’s a Clover problem, so if it works on your laptop it should work on mine without harddrive

Good idea, I don’t want to take advantage of your kindness but can you send me a tested working version of Clover? I don’t have other laptops to try if it’s a Clover problem, so if it works on your laptop it should work on mine without harddrive
we have different hardware and also I am using OpenCore, haven't used clover for awhile now, so sorry about that, you may have to test a couple here:

Some news: I removed the drive and I tried, both with OC and Clover. Nothing, boot get stuck on the same point.
I think there's some issue on a deeper level. Other users with PM981, for what I read, manage to boot. (there are problems during the installation with random reboots and things like these, but anyway without disk it should boot... i think)
I tried to edit BIOS setup and disabling CSM, Intel VTd (with dart=0), Security Chip, Secure Boot, Computrace and other things (following a video about Lenovo T440s, that has similar Bios setup). But nothing.
Who knows, maybe in the next days/months/years someone will succed to install on this laptop.
I attach a photo of verbose with complete clover just to make the point of the situation

Attachments

• C2B54FBA-726B-475A-B62D-6B9DAC6FCE0E.jpeg
    C2B54FBA-726B-475A-B62D-6B9DAC6FCE0E.jpeg
    608.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back