Contribute
Register

Lenovo ThinkPad EDGE E420 i3-2330. Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest is Chimera3.

You can inject it with DSDT or use the flag I mentioned in my previous post.

Good, will use the flag right now and post back the result.

Just noticed the latest was version 3.0 - I can confirm I have 2.2.1, I might upgrade, that won't be long. Maybe I will have to apply the patch again for 4k sector, I don't know (Either way, I can fix that, that's easy).

Rebooting right now !

..Oh, I assume I will have to install the Intel kext I removed, so that I could get the black screen back (Without the flag) ?

I will try the flag with and without the kexts, and post it back.

Good, will use the flag right now and post back the result.

Just noticed the latest was version 3.0 - I can confirm I have 2.2.1, I might upgrade, that won't be long. Maybe I will have to apply the patch again for 4k sector, I don't know (Either way, I can fix that, that's easy).

Rebooting right now !

..Oh, I assume I will have to install the Intel kext I removed, so that I could get the black screen back (Without the flag) ?

I will try the flag with and without the kexts, and post it back.

You will need all vanilla HD3000 kexts installed.

And with Chimera3 you don't even need to specify the flag as it is default.

Note: No matter what, you need IGPEnabler=Yes or GraphicsEnabler=Yes to enable the Chimera injection.

You will need all vanilla HD3000 kexts installed.

And with Chimera3 you don't even need to specify the flag as it is default.

Note: No matter what, you need IGPEnabler=Yes or GraphicsEnabler=Yes to enable the Chimera injection.

Ok, so I tried the flag "IGPlatformID=00010000", no quotes, with and without the Intel kext, no change. I should mention that the kext I install to get the black screen are AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin,
AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext and AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.

IGPEnabler=Yes was already present in my org.Chameleon.boot.plist.
You would suggest I reinstall OS X all over to avoid problems, and have vanilla kexts (Haven't installed much, but I don't have much of experience, I know I can have tried stuff / install kexts without complete knowledge, maybe. Maybe not. Especially from Multibeast, I installed NullCPUPowerManagement - I don't even really know his real purpose yet XD).

Will install Chimera 3.0 too.
I should move to proceed with the Mavericks reinstallation, I should move the previous kexts I showed on my picture, to avoid the black screen at install. Should I do this again?

I have to say, I don't know the logic on why, this HD3000 freak out, while all the others work out of the box.

Ok, so I tried the flag "IGPlatformID=00010000", no quotes, with and without the Intel kext, no change. I should mention that the kext I install to get the black screen are AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin,
AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext and AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.

IGPEnabler=Yes was already present in my org.Chameleon.boot.plist.
You would suggest I reinstall OS X all over to avoid problems, and have vanilla kexts (Haven't installed much, but I don't have much of experience, I know I can have tried stuff / install kexts without complete knowledge, maybe. Maybe not. Especially from Multibeast, I installed NullCPUPowerManagement - I don't even really know his real purpose yet XD).

Will install Chimera 3.0 too.
I should move to proceed with the Mavericks reinstallation, I should move the previous kexts I showed on my picture, to avoid the black screen at install. Should I do this again?

I have to say, I don't know the logic on why, this HD3000 freak out, while all the others work out of the box.

I would recommend a fresh install. There's also some other things that must line up... for example correct smbios (MacBookPro8,x). Also, you need to make sure you don't have other conflicting options (eg. PCIRootUID=1). And the flag is only valid with Chimera -- not with Chameleon.

You could test it out right now, by re-creating your Unibeast USB with "Laptop Support", then install Chimera3 to the USB. Then try booting into the installer without flags (except perhaps dart=0 if you can't disable VT-d). Although I don't think your i3 has VT-d...

I would recommend a fresh install. There's also some other things that must line up... for example correct smbios (MacBookPro8,x). Also, you need to make sure you don't have other conflicting options (eg. PCIRootUID=1). And the flag is only valid with Chimera -- not with Chameleon.

You could test it out right now, by re-creating your Unibeast USB with "Laptop Support", then install Chimera3 to the USB. Then try booting into the installer without flags (except perhaps dart=0 if you can't disable VT-d). Although I don't think your i3 has VT-d...

VT-d was enabled in the BIOS- I turned it off for now.
IMG_3995.jpg

Allright, so I recreated my Unibeast installer from the Mavericks retail package - from scratch.

I then applied the MBR patch as usual (No choice, apparently can't boot from GPT on this laptop), and installed Chimera 3.0.1 on the USB.
Booted on the USB, and started the installer, with no boot flag. I still have a black screen. :/

Should I move the Intel kext of the USB drive in another folder, like I did before, so that I could do a fresh install with generic 1024x768 resolution?

Note that this is the smbios.plist. It's a MacBook Pro, so I see no actual problem. :/

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>SMbiosversion</key>
    <string>UniBeast.tonymacx86.com</string>
    <key>SMboardproduct</key>
    <string>Mac-94245B3640C91C81</string>
    <key>SMfamily</key>
    <string>MacBook Pro</string>
    <key>SMproductname</key>
    <string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
    <key>SMserial</key>
    <string>C02F93FQDH2G</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I really don't get the logic for now. :/ It's a HD3000, and apparently a compatible motherboard - according to what you're saying.

I disable Intel VT-d feature in my BIOS. I keep "Intel Virtualisation Technology" on, however.

Thanks.

Allright, so I recreated my Unibeast installer from the Mavericks retail package - from scratch.

I then applied the MBR patch as usual (No choice, apparently can't boot from GPT on this laptop), and installed Chimera 3.0.1 on the USB.
Booted on the USB, and started the installer, with no boot flag. I still have a black screen. :/

Should I move the Intel kext of the USB drive in another folder, like I did before, so that I could do a fresh install with generic 1024x768 resolution?

Note that this is the smbios.plist. It's a MacBook Pro, so I see no actual problem. :/

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>SMbiosversion</key>
    <string>UniBeast.tonymacx86.com</string>
    <key>SMboardproduct</key>
    <string>Mac-94245B3640C91C81</string>
    <key>SMfamily</key>
    <string>MacBook Pro</string>
    <key>SMproductname</key>
    <string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
    <key>SMserial</key>
    <string>C02F93FQDH2G</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I really don't get the logic for now. :/ It's a HD3000, and apparently a compatible motherboard - according to what you're saying.

I disable Intel VT-d feature in my BIOS. I keep "Intel Virtualisation Technology" on, however.

Thanks.

MBR patch is not recommended and not allowed per rules. Start over and leave the installer as is.

MBR patch is not recommended and not allowed per rules. Start over and leave the installer as is.

Ok, I started over without applying the MBR patch, and without moving any kext from the USB. I still get a black screen with Chimera 3.0.1 installed on the USB, without any flag (How can I check the version of the bootloader on the USB ? I don't see this info, although it should be installed. I used Chimera 3.0.1 PKG from this site, and installed it from OS X to the USB drive without error).

May I ask why the MBR patch is not allowed (My guess, is that it is not developper/supported by TonyMacx86, or that you're modifying an installer file from Apple, which cause legality problem)? Or why you won't recommend it - what's the impact on performance/stability (OS X is not intended for MBR, but it's "just" a bootloader, I would like to know the stability hit. I don't think we can call the system "Vanilla" with a MBR patch).

How would I install OS X on the harddrive, if this laptop apparently doesn't support booting from GPT ?

Thank you

Ok, I started over without applying the MBR patch, and without moving any kext from the USB. I still get a black screen with Chimera 3.0.1 installed on the USB, without any flag (How can I check the version of the bootloader on the USB ? I don't see this info, although it should be installed. I used Chimera 3.0.1 PKG from this site, and installed it from OS X to the USB drive without error).

That's all you should need to do... Do you have control in BIOS for amount of memory dedicated to the IGPU? If so, try different values... Also, boot verbose in case that offers any clues.

You may need to inject EDID. See: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch, "Generic with EDID".

May I ask why the MBR patch is not allowed (My guess, is that it is not developper/supported by TonyMacx86, or that you're modifying an installer file from Apple, which cause legality problem)? Or why you won't recommend it - what's the impact on performance/stability (OS X is not intended for MBR, but it's "just" a bootloader, I would like to know the stability hit. I don't think we can call the system "Vanilla" with a MBR patch).

You can read the rules here, then you'll know as much as I do: http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

How would I install OS X on the harddrive, if this laptop apparently doesn't support booting from GPT ?

We'll see if it supports GPT boot or not... You can always convert to MBR after installing using gdisk in Linux.

That's all you should need to do... Do you have control in BIOS for amount of memory dedicated to the IGPU? If so, try different values... Also, boot verbose in case that offers any clues.

I don't have such an option in my BIOS; here's a video of all the options. In display, I selected VGA, which cause the BIOS logo + Bootloader to display on the VGA monitor rather than the laptop, was hoping for something different, but no (I am aware that making the VGA port work on OS X would be a challenge - I will deal with the laptop screen).
[Video currently uploading]

You may need to inject EDID. See: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch, "Generic with EDID".

I assume you mean this DSDT patch here:
https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/graphics/graphics_EDID.txt

I will try to apply it with MaciASL (From my current OS X install). Then I will compile my DSDT, and put it in the /Extra folder of the Unibeast drive.

You can read the rules here, then you'll know as much as I do: http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

Done.

We'll see if it supports GPT boot or not... You can always convert to MBR after installing using gdisk in Linux.

If that can help, the E420 has drivers offered for Windows 8, so it should support Win8. I don't know if Windows 8 support MBR at all, and never attempted to install it. Using GPT, I would have to probably backup all my partitions, and wipe the MBR disk I guess.

A video of the moment when it get the black screen, in Verbose mode.
[Uploading, done in a few minutes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back