Contribute
Register

Lenovo T420: type 4177, How did I get the wireless to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i5-650
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Centris
  5. iMac
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I have been troubleshooting to no end with this thing :banghead: :beachball: . I was able to get High Sierra to install without issue and everything installed except for the wireless. I originally used a guide that was based on an X220 (http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com) and used the linked kext packages, Clover and .plist. Everything installed except for the wireless.

I am using a Broadcom BCM94322HMS P1 P302 Half-Mini card. I know the card worked because I swapped it between my HP EliteBook 8470p which is using the same card to verify it was not the card where it worked without any issues. I tried various versions of the Broadcom divers in the correct places, tried various other configurations, etc. nothing worked.

I figured I had nothing to lose and decided to try applying the same method used for post-install for the my HP EliteBook 8470p, the UEFI Hotpatch method from RehabMan :idea:. I compared the hardware of both my Lenovo T420 and my HP 8470p. Both had similar enough or matching hardware. I updated Clover, then followed the steps for post install. Everything went through and applied in the same way it did on my HP 8470p with the exception of building the .plist files for the HP laptops the method is supposed to be for. I restarted, still no wireless. Disappointment and some foul words ensued :evil:, but relieved I had not messed up the install :thumbup: (did not have a cloned back-up). I ran the command to configure the new SSDT and DSDT again and the wireless showed up! I restarted and I had WIRELESS ! (much elation :clap::headbang: and also confusion:confused:o_O ). It's never that "easy" and never just "appears".

To be honest I am not 100% sure how I got it to work. The only change I made to the install other than using the hotpatch method was to change the .plist that was included on the original X220 guide was to set "fixAirport" to "False". I should have documented my process a little better but it's been over the course of a few months and have gotten frustrated and put it away each time something didn't work.

I've included the troubleshooting files for anyone interested in trying to decipher what made it work. I only have an idea but not 100% sure as I how it started to work.

Feel free to report your findings.

Attachments

• debug_6931.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 116
So I have been troubleshooting to no end with this thing :banghead: :beachball: . I was able to get High Sierra to install without issue and everything installed except for the wireless. I originally used a guide that was based on an X220 (http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com) and used the linked kext packages, Clover and .plist. Everything installed except for the wireless.

I am using a Broadcom BCM94322HMS P1 P302 Half-Mini card. I know the card worked because I swapped it between my HP EliteBook 8470p which is using the same card to verify it was not the card where it worked without any issues. I tried various versions of the Broadcom divers in the correct places, tried various other configurations, etc. nothing worked.

I figured I had nothing to lose and decided to try applying the same method used for post-install for the my HP EliteBook 8470p, the UEFI Hotpatch method from RehabMan :idea:. I compared the hardware of both my Lenovo T420 and my HP 8470p. Both had similar enough or matching hardware. I updated Clover, then followed the steps for post install. Everything went through and applied in the same way it did on my HP 8470p with the exception of building the .plist files for the HP laptops the method is supposed to be for. I restarted, still no wireless. Disappointment and some foul words ensued :evil:, but relieved I had not messed up the install :thumbup: (did not have a cloned back-up). I ran the command to configure the new SSDT and DSDT again and the wireless showed up! I restarted and I had WIRELESS ! (much elation :clap::headbang: and also confusion:confused:o_O ). It's never that "easy" and never just "appears".

To be honest I am not 100% sure how I got it to work. The only change I made to the install other than using the hotpatch method was to change the .plist that was included on the original X220 guide was to set "fixAirport" to "False". I should have documented my process a little better but it's been over the course of a few months and have gotten frustrated and put it away each time something didn't work.

I've included the troubleshooting files for anyone interested in trying to decipher what made it work. I only have an idea but not 100% sure as I how it started to work.

Feel free to report your findings.

AirportBrcmFixup.kext + Lilu.kext are correcting for SMBIOS whitelist.
FixAirport always a bad idea.

AirportBrcmFixup.kext + Lilu.kext are correcting for SMBIOS whitelist.
FixAirport always a bad idea.
That is what I thought it might have been. Thanks again for your input and knowledge. I have another question. DVI and VGA are not outputting through the Lenovo T420 dock. I would try DisplayPort but I do not have one of those cables. What would be the reason for this? Do I need to make a modification to the .plist to allow this to work?

That is what I thought it might have been. Thanks again for your input and knowledge. I have another question. DVI and VGA are not outputting through the Lenovo T420 dock. I would try DisplayPort but I do not have one of those cables. What would be the reason for this? Do I need to make a modification to the .plist to allow this to work?

VGA generally not supported.
And for the DVI, you may need to patch the framebuffer to add the required connector.
Read WhateverGreen documentation and other guides on patching framebuffer connectors.

VGA generally not supported.
And for the DVI, you may need to patch the framebuffer to add the required connector.
Read WhateverGreen documentation and other guides on patching framebuffer connectors.
I have a bin of random cables and found a DisplayPort to DVI Adapter. I hooked it up and has worked well so far. I had to change the BIOS so it would show the boot screen on the external output for the laptop being it will be in a closed mode while it is in use on the desk. Has anyone been able to change the "official" splash screen to something else other than the OEM without a BIOS flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back