NVIDIA GeForce 625M (1GB)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Greetings all,
I have a Lenovo U510 laptop, which meets Intel's criteria for an Ultrabook, on the way. This model is pretty new and there are next to no resources online for it, much less any Hackintosh advice. Here's a run down:
Intel Core i7-3517U dual core CPU (1.7GHz, TurboBoost: 3GHz, 4M L3 cache)
NVIDIA GeForce 625M (1GB) dedicated graphics (I'm not sure about switching between integrated and dedicated graphics)
8GB memory (DDR3 hopefully, not sure about frequency)
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
Bluetooth 4.0
Optical drive of some kind (DVD recordable, dual layer)
Intelligent Touchpad 2.0 (Elan?)
Ports: RJ-45 (gigabit, I think), USB 2.0 and 3.0, HDMI, combo audio jack, card reader
1TB 5400RPM HDD and 32GB mSATA SSD (unknown brand)
15.6" 1366x768 display
comes with Windows 8, I'm planning on playing around with Linux, probably Fedora until I graduate to a command line OS
I have a SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD that I was planning on installing, but since I'm going to be using this computer for college, I decided not to void my Accidental Damage Protection warranty (I guess I'm going to have to sell the SSD)

It's supposed to get to me in two days, then I might be able to provide more info about components.
I've seen the Lenovo IdeaPad U410 Mountain Lion 90% thread, but I'm more interested in Snow Leopard to begin with, and the U410 and U510 don't have an optical drive, so I wasn't sure if that feature on the U510 would cause problems.

Anybody know if I have a chance to install OS X?

I have the same laptop, just got it 2 days ago. Unable to install ML so far. Did you had any luck?

Thanks VSUBlazer for the idea. Success, only in installing ML 10.8.2, after many installs. So far nothing works and that includes USBs :beachball:. Now the real work starts. Will look into U410 install linked in your post. :problem:.

Did you get osx working with the u510? I'm thinking into buying one and wanted to see if it runs osx first!

As a matter of fact, I have not had any time to use the computer since I purchased it in mid-December. I sent it back to the warranty repair depot to have the keyboard replaced (because some of the keys were not set correctly) and have the touchpad replaced (because it was difficult to click halfway up the touch surface). I received it after 37 days, and they had replaced the touchpad with an incompatible one, so I just sent it back. As compensation for that, Lenovo sent me the Logitech MX5500 mouse/ keyboard combo (I'm still not sure if it was worth all the time lost, but it's a pretty sweet combo). So based on my experience, Lenovo warranty support is ridiculously incompetent (you can quote me on that), so I'd take that into consideration before you buy a computer from them.

Anyway, on to business, there's already a forum about installing Mountain Lion of a U410 (Lenovo Ideapad U410 Mountain Lion 90% working), and as I've mentioned before, the difference between the U410 and the U510 is that the former does not have an optical drive. If you pick up a Snow Leopard disc for $20 from Apple and download the files on the U410 Mountain Lion forum here, I'm pretty sure you'll have about the same experience as the U410 users.

When I finally get my computer back, I don't really want to try to screw around with Snow Leopard until I have a bootable disc of the Windows 8 that came with the machine (I don't care much for Windows 8, but since I have a $100+ OS, I might as well make sure I don't annihilate it). Does anyone know how to do that? I have a 32GB thumb drive, which I was thinking about creating a OneKey backup on, but will the computer boot from that so I can restore Windows in case of emergency? So far it has been impossible to get a straight answer from Lenovo (go figure..) and I can't find anything online about creating a backup disc of just the operating system.

I'll start working on OS X as soon as I get my computer back and make a backup of Windows 8.

Update:

I got my computer back and made a backup of Windows 8 and a OneKey image system backup, but I've already hit my first major snag. After I boot iBoot and insert the OS X DVD, pressing F5 gives me an EBIOS read error. I can't even get iBoot to recognize the Snow Leopard disc; it just freezes... Has anyone had this issue and gotten around it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back