Contribute
Register

Lenovo Ideapad U410 Mountain Lion 90% working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I decided to install windows 8 on my U410 last week. Of course it worked fine for about 2 days and started screwing up. I decided to wipe it and start fresh. I ran into some problems however. I used DBAN to wipe both HDD and SSD, but somehow the RAID that it comes from the factory with got in the way of installing windows 8 again. So I installed ubuntu and decided that I was going to go back to my old habits of trying to install Mac OSX on PCs. I'm currently installing Mountain Lion on my U410's SSD, hoping that I'll be able to follow all these posts and fix things one by one. I'll post results.

Ok so I went to boot ML and it skipped straight to Ubuntu on my HDD. Booted the USB with ML back up and formatted the HDD that had ubuntu and made a single GUID partition. Currently installing ML on HDD. Now my question is how do I install windows and or ubuntu in this configuration. I have the SSD wiped and ready.

I think there are many ways to install win8, depends on your need. You could install win8 in SSD or HHD in either MBR or GUID mode. But beware that installation of Win8 via EFI bootloader may permanently lock BIOS on U410. I had experienced once before, and had to shipped the machine to lenovo. The solution they had was to replace the entire motherboard and update the BIOS version.

Hi, in my U410 I have the core i3 2367m. Can I use your dsdt anyway or have I something to change?
It's the first time I work with a dsdt file so I have to ask. :confused:

Are there any updates to this thread? i was planning on tackling this in the next week or so and may be in need of some help. Windows 8 is just not working well and I want OSX back!!

Hey guys,

i found this thread and i hope here are some people who can help me :).

I have the Lenovo U410 too and want to test my notebook with OSX too. I use this notebook only for deejaying in clubs. I have never tried to create an hackingtosh pc.

Is there any tutorial for my notebook available?

Here's what I did to get things working:

yeaahhhhh buddyyyy NICE!!
got everything working, even wifi had an old wifi n dongle from sitecom recognized as airport :D nice
also i put osx on my ssd so my lenovo onekey still works :D.
finally can go producing with logic again, if it fits on there not much room left on ssd.

anywhay thanks for all the hard work guys!

how do you switch booting by the way? i have to set my bios everytime i change to windows because of uefi.
someone has a solution about that without having to lock the bios and replace the motherboard like in one of the older posts?

oh yeah and how do you guys determine if you have speedstep and turbo boost? how do you know that?

greeting easyfloww

I'm glad to see someone's working with a U Series IdeaPad. I will be getting a U510 in a couple of days, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the chances of getting that to run OS X. The specs for the U410 and the U510 are slightly different, the biggest difference being the U510 has an optical drive. What are the biggest common hiccoughs with the U410?
Also, everyone had to install Snow Leopard before upgrading to Mountain Lion, right? I'm pretty sure you can buy Lion and Mountain Lion discs or USB keys, but they're expensive where as Snow Leopard is $20 and Mountain Lion upgrade is $20 extra.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated. :)

Okay before we start getting annoyed of the new n00b (which I am :p ) I need help with my lenovo ideapad U410... I have this new laptop, with windows 8 running on it, BUT. I do not want anything to be erased... I want to keep my Windows 8 and install OSX ML my specs are a bit varied... although the main thing I care about is WI-FI and graphics...

Here are my specs Tell me if something is not compatible :S

NVIDIA GeForce 610M
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 - 1E14
Intel(R) HM77 Express Chipset LPC Controller - 1E57
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 1E12
3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller - 0154
Synaptics SMBus Driver
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 1E10
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2200
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port - 0151
Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)
High Definition Audio Controller

Also previously I've had problems with installing and using PS/2 devices here are mine...
HID Keyboard Device
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
Lenovo Pointing Device

And my USB devices that I so dearly love :p
(I have a mouse that works with Windows)
USB Root Hub
-Generic USB Hub

This is my Mic's name... I think: Internal Microphone (Conexant SmartAudio HD)
Speakers: Speakers (Conexant SmartAudio HD)

Raw - System Information - DxDiag:

Time of this report: 12/25/2012, 15:20:11
Machine name: MOHAMMADS-PC
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.121119-1606)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: IdeaPad U410
BIOS: 65CN90WW
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3517U CPU @ 1.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8050MB RAM
Page File: 7283MB used, 2958MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

PLEASE HELP. I used to own a Mac... and I made lots of use of it in the form of arts and theater (don't laugh at me ;) ) If you help me I'll help you with anything Windows (I hope xD)

I followed this thread and managed to get my hack-u410 with a i7-3517u running nicely, except for speedstep...

What bios version are you on? I'm on 65cn15ww and am considering updating to the latest 65cn21ww.

Could anyone upload their /Extra?

I also have i7 model and speedstepping works just fine. My 'About this mac' shows intel i7 1.7ghz but it goes up to 2.4ghz when needed. Install the HWMonitor from multibeast (Drivers & Bootloaders -> Drivers -> Miscellaneous -> FakeSMC Plugins)

That's great!

Using HWMonitor I get 8x and 18x multipliers, nothing in between, nothing greater. The graph that HWMonitor shows is a bit misleading, as it takes the average frequency during the sample period.

But, since yours is working great, can you upload your /Extra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back