Contribute
Register

Lenovo Ideapad U410 Mountain Lion 90% working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, now I want to ask something that is little bit offtopic (sorry about that). I want to install Ubuntu 13.10 alongside the OSX. I have installed OSX on external disk. Now if I make paration on the external disk a install Ubuntu there, will I be able to boot OSX a Ubuntu succesfully? Thanks for answer and sorry for offtopic. :?:

If you're using Chameleon, yes but only if you do not do a UEFI install. The easiest way to avoid that accidentally happening is to remove bootx64.efi and the efi folder from the Ubuntu installation media (i.e. USB stick); leave the boot folder intact. This will insure that it can't boot UEFI.

For a setup of OS X and Ubuntu only, you will actually need 4 partitions, FAT 32 EFI partition, JHFS+ partition for OS X, Linux-Swap partition (size in mb of your ram 8gb=8192mb, 6gb=6144mb), and EXT4 partition for linux install. Make sure that the grub boot loader is installed to the EXT4 partition.

The EFI partition is created by OS X Disk Utility automatically if you select GUID Partition Table as the type...

See rehabmans "blog" for instructions on multiboot setups http://racerrehabman.wordpress.com

Can mountain lion be installed on the U410 Touch version of this laptop?
Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F93MB7I/?tag=tonymacx86-21

and would a whitelist removed bios be required for the AR9280 wifi card?

I've also hear that you can install 16GB of ram in this laptop,
can anyone confirm this and perhaps write down the steps that
they took to get it to work?

Thanks in advance :)

Before I do something real stupid lol.....i just need to ask.....can I run the free Mavericks update that keeps popping up on my Lenny U410???? Or is there more to it?? Great thread btw...i posted on here over a year back....Thanks in advance.....

P. S sorry to be a pain....lol:banghead:

Before I do something real stupid lol.....i just need to ask.....can I run the free Mavericks update that keeps popping up on my Lenny U410???? Or is there more to it?? Great thread btw...i posted on here over a year back....Thanks in advance.....

P. S sorry to be a pain....lol:banghead:

Check out the dedicated Mavericks thread for U410s here: Combined U310/U410 Mavericks Thread

There is quite a bit more to the process than just clicking update, but you should be able to do it if you're willing to put in a little effort!

Can mountain lion be installed on the U410 Touch version of this laptop?
Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F93MB7I/?tag=tonymacx86-21

and would a whitelist removed bios be required for the AR9280 wifi card?

I've also hear that you can install 16GB of ram in this laptop,
can anyone confirm this and perhaps write down the steps that
they took to get it to work?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, Mountain Lion can be installed on the touchscreen version of the U410, however I wouldn't expect touchscreen functionality within ML. You're in the right place to get it up and running! :clap:

Yes, a whitelist removal would be required for this card (or any card that is unsupported by the manufacturer). Simply post a link to your bios backup on the U410 whitelist removal thread that corresponds to your BIOS version here on bios mods: http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Forum-Wifi-WWAN-Whitelist-Removal?datecut=9999

16GB RAM is unofficially supported on the U410; meaning yes, you can install 2x8GB memory modules and they will most likely work. However, you will be unable to compare them against the qualified vendor list to determine if they'll work for sure. A quick google search and some reading will inform you of a few different RAM modules that are known to work: 16GB ram u410 :thumbup:

but i've problem about the sound. the icon shows maximum volume and will not change in speaker mode but work fine when using earphone. any ideas
I am having the same problem right now...
No, just changed it and everything is fine.
How did you get it to work? My sound does not even come out through headphones, though.

On a side note, my right side USB 3.0 ports are not working except for keyboard and mouse, but my AppleUSBXHCI kext isn't even in my Extensions folder - I didn't delete it, though! I don't know - should I just use the new Mavericks thread?

*Edit:* Someone kill me... I forgot that the AppleUSBXHCI kext was under IOUSBFamily.kext.
So now, my main problem is finding a fix to the audio. Argyle said something about IRQs but I have no idea where to even start with that as I am a total noob when it comes to this. Like he said, it's a cookbook. If you need my exact specs they're at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CNUIYAS/#productDetails

Thanks,
HTM

I am having the same problem right now...

How did you get it to work? My sound does not even come out through headphones, though.

On a side note, my right side USB 3.0 ports are not working except for keyboard and mouse, but my AppleUSBXHCI kext isn't even in my Extensions folder - I didn't delete it, though! I don't know - should I just use the new Mavericks thread?

*Edit:* Someone kill me... I forgot that the AppleUSBXHCI kext was under IOUSBFamily.kext.
So now, my main problem is finding a fix to the audio. Argyle said something about IRQs but I have no idea where to even start with that as I am a total noob when it comes to this. Like he said, it's a cookbook. If you need my exact specs they're at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CNUIYAS/#productDetails

Thanks,
HTM

Refer to this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114648-combined-u310-u410-mavericks-thread.html

I bought an Atheros ar5bhb92 (no BT module) to throw into my u410 to replace my Intel Wireless-N 2230 and have flashed a non-whitelisted bios successfully, however when I put the new card in and try to start the laptop it won't turn on. I'm thinking this could be caused by an FRU mismatch or just a dead card. What do you guys think?

Mr. Citysurrounded:
Can I use your bios? if not can you tell me exactly what to do?

Thank you Rehabman. :) Finally got it to work. I now know why errors are appearing. Because I was using dsdt editor rather than Maciasl. My bad.

One question I have atheros 9285 but my sleep isn't working?
How Do I add the pid/vid into your info.plist? Thank you again,

Here is the info of my Bluetooth

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.1.7f2 12718
Hardware Settings:
Address: 68-A3-C4-FB-7B-7F
Manufacturer: Qualcomm Atheros
Name: ---- MacBook Pro
Firmware Version: 5.39321 (5.39321)
Bluetooth Power: On
Discoverable: Off
Connectable: No
Remote wake: On