Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ikkoku, are you currently dual booting windows and mountain lion? im sorry I am sorta a noob at this kind of thing. i just want to have as much info as possible before i try this.

I just picked up a U310 and wanted to post my installation.

my U310 is the i5-3317

After I received the laptop, I wanted to preserve the windows partition on the HDD.
Given that it came with an intel wlan card, and I have a spare generic ar5b195, I needed to find a way to install the card and removing the whitelist. There is a whitelist removed bios of the latest version. Google will find it for you. After removing the whitelist, I replaced the card. Since this was setup on RAID0 with the SSD, I had to break RAID and the Intel Rapid Start and Rapid Storage that's on it.
I downloaded from the intel website some program to enable/disable intel rapid storage acceleration. Disabled it. Then went into bios disabled it there too and changed RAID to AHCI. To my surprise, I was still able to boot windows7 from the HDD. so I partitioned the SSD and followed the unibeast installation method. Using the kexts from this thread, I was able to get it up and running in no time.
Note: if you are having problems with blank/black screen during boot, use usb to boot into safe mode and put in efi injection into your boot list.

also for those plagued with the wifi issues that plague the u310/u410 you can do this mod message #616
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad...really-low-speeds-on-wifi/td-p/790527/page/62

mostly everything is working.
bluetooth is a little weird. the turning on/off switch is greyed out.

question from me is .... I want to make a backup/clone of my install. I can place the it on an mbr partition with carbon clone copy?

Hey ikkoku, are you currently dual booting windows and mountain lion? im sorry I am sorta a noob at this kind of thing. i just want to have as much info as possible before i try this.

I have the OSs on separate drives so its not a true dual boot. I use chimera as my boot loader and can choose which OS I want to boot from (osx by default)

best thing to do is backup and try try try. A lot is trial and error. But these posts are a lot of help.

So i tried and failed will try again in the morning. I imstalled it fine. But when i got to the portion where you have to multibeast thats where i had issues. I moved the dtst file to the desktop dont understand what that does. But anyway i rsn multibeast choose the drivers. Didn't have the option to choose what my laptop was similar to. But anyway it ran the installation and it errored out. Dont know why. I rebooted my laptop and now once i get back to mountain lion while loading the screen turns off and doesn't turn back on. Obviously ill start over but what should i change? Also after a full correct installation will i always need a usb stick to boot even if the os is installed on the hdd? Thanks so much

I have the OSs on separate drives so its not a true dual boot. I use chimera as my boot loader and can choose which OS I want to boot from (osx by default)

best thing to do is backup and try try try. A lot is trial and error. But these posts are a lot of help.

So i tried and failed will try again in the morning. I imstalled it fine. But when i got to the portion where you have to multibeast thats where i had issues. I moved the dtst file to the desktop dont understand what that does. But anyway i rsn multibeast choose the drivers. Didn't have the option to choose what my laptop was similar to. But anyway it ran the installation and it errored out. Dont know why. I rebooted my laptop and now once i get back to mountain lion while loading the screen turns off and doesn't turn back on. Obviously ill start over but what should i change? Also after a full correct installation will i always need a usb stick to boot even if the os is installed on the hdd? Thanks so much

where are you installing it to? your HDD or SSD?
multibeast will take your dsdt from the desktop and put it into the extra folder.

before you start over, try this.
Use your usb and boot into your new install in safe mode.
once you get in, you need to put the efi injection into the org.chameleon.boot.plist. see tutorial's u310 install for the code. you can do this by either using chameleon wizard or edit using textedit.

to set what your laptop is similar to, you can use the smbios file from the OP or use chameleon wizard to set it.

also, always boot with UseKernalCache=No until you have a stable release.

copy chameleon wizard into your unibeast usb.

here's the code you need in your org.chameleon boot file

Code:
7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002      010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c000000  4100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066  006f0072006d002d0069006400000008000000030066011400  00006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e62 6f6172642d31

after a full correct install, you will no longer need the unibeast usb to boot. Chimera works fine except that it shows the i5 chip speed wrong.

also, here's some advice I received before. After you get a stable install. get a backup tool like carbon clone copy. clone the partition so that you can always restore to that point in cases where you screw up beyond fixing when experimenting with installing kexts.

Hello ikkoku,
I have a few questions, since you've got your installation up and running EXACTLY like I'd want it to be.
First things first - the whitelisted BIOS. It's based on the bios update from february (or was it january?) of 2013, right? Also, how exactly did you flash it? Do you think it's completely safe?
Now, I've found this: http://allegro.pl/dell-wireless-dw1702-ar5b195-wifi-bluetooth-fvat-i3077170159.html on polish online shopping site. I'd like to know whether or not this will do.
And finally, how stable is the whole setup? Are you having a near-vanilla experience, are you able to update the OS without issues?
I was using Snow Leopard on my desktop hackintosh, but now that I travel a lot, I'm stuck with my U310 all the time, and I really REALLY miss OS X. Any help would be appreciated!

Hello ikkoku,
I have a few questions, since you've got your installation up and running EXACTLY like I'd want it to be.
First things first - the whitelisted BIOS. It's based on the bios update from february (or was it january?) of 2013, right? Also, how exactly did you flash it? Do you think it's completely safe?
Now, I've found this: http://allegro.pl/dell-wireless-dw1702-ar5b195-wifi-bluetooth-fvat-i3077170159.html on polish online shopping site. I'd like to know whether or not this will do.
And finally, how stable is the whole setup? Are you having a near-vanilla experience, are you able to update the OS without issues?
I was using Snow Leopard on my desktop hackintosh, but now that I travel a lot, I'm stuck with my U310 all the time, and I really REALLY miss OS X. Any help would be appreciated!

When I got my u310 it had the 13 firmware. I upgraded it to the 21 fw first. The I used the whitelist from http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thre...410-Whitelist-removal-request-65CN13WW?page=4 and reflashed the whitelist.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By-T_a8nGsPrVlJxcTVjVXVoalE/preview?pli=1 I think I just used the winflash32 and pointed to the wph file. Read through the entire thread on bios-mods, it'll give you instructions.

I did disable uefi from bios first (since its needed for ML install)

All flashing of bios done on existing win7 (of course)

Everything is working for me so far. I've installed a new WLAN card and upgraded it to 8gb. I didnt get a chance to connect it to a Bluetooth device yet. But ML shows its there (but always on)

Im on 10.8.2 so haven't tried any updates.

Right now I'm trying to hide some partitions so that it won't show during boot up. But that's just cosmetic.

I created this hack book for my daughter who's learning Mac from school. Everything is working for her so far.
I'll probably shrink the windows partition at some point and create a partition for osx data files

The install takes up 12-16gbs so you'll only have 18gbs remaining (give or take). If you have a lot of files, youll need to upgrade the msata ssd

Hope that helps

I picked up my ar5b195 from eBay for $8. It's based on the dell 1702. It took me awhile to find a win7 driver that worked (on windows side). If the driver from the atheros.cz site does not work, just go to the dell site to grab the driver to get wifi working. You can get Bluetooth working using the driver on the Lenovo site.

Hey, thanks for answering so quickly and comprehensively!
I've got the same BIOS at the moment, but I've got my Windows 7 installed in UEFI, on GPT disk (the msata ssd, HDD only serves as data/storage disk). Will I be able to flash BIOS without issues, or should I reinstall in MBR?
Also, one more question - how's the battery life under OS X (no need for numbers, just a brief note), and does the trackpad work as it should, ie. with multitouch gestures?
Thank you so much for your help

edit
also, one more thing - if, for some reason, the flashing goes wrong, or my PC wouldn't boot afterwards, is there any way to repair it in some kind of service without replacing the mainboard?

Hey, thanks for answering so quickly and comprehensively!
I've got the same BIOS at the moment, but I've got my Windows 7 installed in UEFI, on GPT disk (the msata ssd, HDD only serves as data/storage disk). Will I be able to flash BIOS without issues, or should I reinstall in MBR?
Also, one more question - how's the battery life under OS X (no need for numbers, just a brief note), and does the trackpad work as it should, ie. with multitouch gestures?
Thank you so much for your help

edit
also, one more thing - if, for some reason, the flashing goes wrong, or my PC wouldn't boot afterwards, is there any way to repair it in some kind of service without replacing the mainboard?

Bios on Gpt -- not sure. Never experienced.
battery life is pretty good. At least 4 hours. I think at full charge it says 5.5 hours remaining. But I never used it up in one usage.
Trackpad using rehabman's voodoops2 works great. 1,2,3 finger.
Not sure about recovering from failed bios update.

I kept windows and all original partitions on the hdd intact in case I need to use one key recovery (also because I don't have a windows install dDVD to do a clean install.

Hey ikokku, I was able to do the installation and booted fine. The only problem is , I can't get multi touch to work in the trackpad, and video playing is not watchable. have you been able to get the drivers to work properly?

Hi everybody,
in some days I'll get a Lenovo U310 with i5-3317U and HD4000 and I'd love to get Mountain Lion working on it.
From what I have read, I know that:
-Ethernet is a Realtek RTL8105E (it should work)
-Wifi is a Intel Centrino Wireless N 2200 (I think it won't work)
-Trackpad is "Synaptics, cypress" (should work as a mouse)
-Audio is Conexant (should work)
I will install it using the Unibeast for ML method.
Can you tell me what will I have to install using Multibeast 5? Oh, and is it possible to get the multitouch working? I've read that some people got multitouch working on their synaptics on other notebooks

Another question: what system definition should I use? I guess the best would be the 2012 Macbook Pro (is it 9,2?), but I think it is not possible to choose it in multibeast, so will I have to select Macbook Pro 8,1?

I just picked up a U310 and wanted to post my installation.

Note: if you are having problems with blank/black screen during boot, use usb to boot into safe mode and put in efi injection into your boot list.

Hi ikkoku

What/How do you put efi injection? Where do you get it?
I can only boot with HDMI connected.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back