i7 7500U
Graphics
Intel 620 / GeForce 940MX
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hello, everyone!

I feel truly ashamed that I had to open a new thread in order to have my issues solved, but I wasn't able to find a discussion about this particular laptop model, the required BIOS settings, and which of its parts work with MacOS Sierra.

I did try to use the basic guide on the forum (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/), but the system simply freezes after the Clover screen, after I choose to boot from USB. I've been patient and let the laptop load for about an hour, but it wasn't doing anything: I just sat there and watched the Apple logo and a bar that wasn't loading.

It's worth noting that the computer was heating and I noticed the cooler running faster than usual during some moments. But I thought that an hour of waiting for nothing is more than enough. I did try once again by changing the USB port, and got the exact same result.

I've followed the steps described in the guide very strictly and from the BIOS settings screen I've deactivated "Secure Boot" (though the other options are missing). Also, when creating the bootable USB flash drive, I've chosen to use UEFI and nVidia drivers installation - if it froze due to one of these choices, then I'd like to know.

The complete specs of my system are the following:

Intel Core i7 7500U, Kaby Lake, 2.7 Ghz
8 GB of RAM
Ramaxel 256 SSD storage
nVidia GeForce 940MX / Intel 620 graphics card (probably the former will have to be disabled)
Intel Wireless 3165 is a 1x1 AC-WLAN (probably won't work, but I bought this external USB adapter)
BIOS Version: 4QCN25WW (V 1.05)

I bought the laptop earlier today and chose it instead of a HP 440 G4 because I like the keyboard better and it has the dedicated video card which can be used for some gaming in Windows. Otherwise, I thought they were very similar. Hopefully, the card reader, the sound card, and the touch pad will work just fine. I currently own a 21-inch iMac 4K Retina, but I needed a Mac laptop to record music on the go using Logic. Since I can't afford a Macbook right now, I decided to take the Hackintosh way.

If there's anyone who can guide me to success, I'd be really grateful. So far, I can't even boot from the USB drive.

Hello, everyone!

I feel truly ashamed that I had to open a new thread in order to have my issues solved, but I wasn't able to find a discussion about this particular laptop model, the required BIOS settings, and which of its parts work with MacOS Sierra.

I did try to use the basic guide on the forum (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/), but the system simply freezes after the Clover screen, after I choose to boot from USB. I've been patient and let the laptop load for about an hour, but it wasn't doing anything: I just sat there and watched the Apple logo and a bar that wasn't loading.

It's worth noting that the computer was heating and I noticed the cooler running faster than usual during some moments. But I thought that an hour of waiting for nothing is more than enough. I did try once again by changing the USB port, and got the exact same result.

I've followed the steps described in the guide very strictly and from the BIOS settings screen I've deactivated "Secure Boot" (though the other options are missing). Also, when creating the bootable USB flash drive, I've chosen to use UEFI and nVidia drivers installation - if it froze due to one of these choices, then I'd like to know.

The complete specs of my system are the following:

Intel Core i7 7500U, Kaby Lake, 2.7 Ghz
8 GB of RAM
Ramaxel 256 SSD storage
nVidia GeForce 940MX / Intel 620 graphics card (probably the former will have to be disabled)
Intel Wireless 3165 is a 1x1 AC-WLAN (probably won't work, but I bought this external USB adapter)
BIOS Version: 4QCN25WW (V 1.05)

I bought the laptop earlier today and chose it instead of a HP 440 G4 because I like the keyboard better and it has the dedicated video card which can be used for some gaming in Windows. Otherwise, I thought they were very similar. Hopefully, the card reader, the sound card, and the touch pad will work just fine. I currently own a 21-inch iMac 4K Retina, but I needed a Mac laptop to record music on the go using Logic. Since I can't afford a Macbook right now, I decided to take the Hackintosh way.

If there's anyone who can guide me to success, I'd be really grateful. So far, I can't even boot from the USB drive.
Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Thanks for the reply!

Now here's a rookie question: I'm currently following the steps described in this guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/) and on the section "Preparing Essential Kexts" the downloads I get from the github links aren't in the .kext extension - they're just folders with files. On the other hand, Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext are in the right format (their source isn't github, bit bitbucket). I don't think it should be like this because the attached screenshot shows all the files in the .kext extension.

The download from github only allows me to get .zip files which get extracted automatically upon download. Is there another way of doing it that I'm not getting?

Also, I hope that the guide I'm using is the right one, I permanently have doubts about what I'm doing.

Thanks for the reply!

Now here's a rookie question: I'm currently following the steps described in this guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/) and on the section "Preparing Essential Kexts" the downloads I get from the github links aren't in the .kext extension - they're just folders with files. On the other hand, Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext are in the right format (their source isn't github, bit bitbucket). I don't think it should be like this because the attached screenshot shows all the files in the .kext extension.

The download from github only allows me to get .zip files which get extracted automatically upon download. Is there another way of doing it that I'm not getting?

Also, I hope that the guide I'm using is the right one, I permanently have doubts about what I'm doing.
the links to github have links for downloading the kexts a little further down the page

Thanks for the reply!

As per guide, read the README at each link.

Right now I'm having my first attempt with Clover, with modified files from your guide. The only small detail that I overlooked was the DVMT-prealloc jazz that far exceeds my understanding. I'll give it a try like this and see if I encounter any problems.

Also, there are BIOS settings that aren't even available, so all I can do is hope for the best. I'll keep you updated.

OMG, it worked and it says I'm running a MacBook Air 2.9 Ghz Core i7, 8 GB DDR4, with Intel HD 620 graphics. The apps work, the USB ports are functional, the keyboard is excellent, and I'm surprised by the quietness of the system (even in the FreeDos interface it used to generate more heat). Surprisingly, I was able to grab a few snapshots with the Photo Booth app (so the webcam also works).

Also, I'm really impressed by the image quality of the screen and the fact that the resolution runs at 1920x1080.

What I haven't tested: the HDMI port and the USB 3.1 C port.

What clearly doesn't work:
- the WiFi adapter (it was obvious, it's an Intel model and I've acquired an external Realtek USB adapter just for this issue)
- the SD card reader
- the touchpad
- the sound (neither input, nor output; in the System Preferences section it shows no devices)
- the battery status display (as a matter of fact, it doesn't even identify the presence of a battery)

OMG, it worked and it says I'm running a MacBook Air 2.9 Ghz Core i7, 8 GB DDR4, with Intel HD 620 graphics. The apps work, the USB ports are functional, the keyboard is excellent, and I'm surprised by the quietness of the system (even in the FreeDos interface it used to generate more heat). Surprisingly, I was able to grab a few snapshots with the Photo Booth app (so the webcam also works).

Also, I'm really impressed by the image quality of the screen and the fact that the resolution runs at 1920x1080.

What I haven't tested: the HDMI port and the USB 3.1 C port.

What clearly doesn't work:
- the WiFi adapter (it was obvious, it's an Intel model and I've acquired an external Realtek USB adapter just for this issue)
- the SD card reader
- the touchpad
- the sound (neither input, nor output; in the System Preferences section it shows no devices)

USB WiFi not recommended.
WiFi and other issues are covered in the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

USB WiFi not recommended.
WiFi and other issues are covered in the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Thanks for all the support! In the meantime, I've messed it up with a faulty installation of Clover on the internal SSD. I took the lazy way and did it from the visual interface. I don't know what went wrong, but now it takes 15 minutes to boot just to display a blank screen after it loads.

I can no longer boot from the USB, but I suppose that the drive is intact and can be used for a clean installation, right? But my question right now is, how do I reset everything on the internal memory? Is another formatting required?

Thanks for all the support! In the meantime, I've messed it up with a faulty installation of Clover on the internal SSD. I took the lazy way and did it from the visual interface. I don't know what went wrong, but now it takes 15 minutes to boot just to display a blank screen after it loads.

I can no longer boot from the USB, but I suppose that the drive is intact and can be used for a clean installation, right? But my question right now is, how do I reset everything on the internal memory? Is another formatting required?

Diagnosis not possible without problem reporting files.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back