4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I found out today that Khronokernel the dev over at Dortania has managed to get legacy Metal support on Ventura working after many months of work. It not only works on older GPUs but also previously unsupported Macs such as the 2008 Mac Pro, 2012 Mac Mini & 2014 5K iMac.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.29.00 PM.png

On top of that, I was recently informed that there is a new plugin for Lilu being developed called WhateverRed.
It specifically targets support for the AMD APUs/IGPUs and laptops such as Picasso/Renoir/Raven and Vega3/Vega 8. It has already achieved
early stages of driver initialisation which also means users of systems like the Atari VCS like myself (which uses the Picasso chipset) could see hardware acceleration arrive soon!

So I found out today that Khronokernel the dev over at Dortania has managed to get legacy Metal support on Ventura working after many months of work. It not only works on older GPUs but also previously unsupported Macs such as the 2008 Mac Pro, 2012 Mac Mini & 2014 5K iMac.

View attachment 554118

On top of that, I was recently informed that there is a new plugin for Lilu being developed called WhateverRed.
It specifically targets support for the AMD APUs/IGPUs and laptops such as Picasso/Renoir/Raven and Vega3/Vega 8. It has already achieved
early stages of driver initialisation which also means users of systems like the Atari VCS like myself (which uses the Picasso chipset) could see hardware acceleration arrive soon!

Very exciting news!, I'll be keeping on eye on this.

A build I have in mind is a new Ryzen 7000 series with iGPU and hopefully a 620 series motherboard, I might be waiting a while I know for these to appear, but that’s what I’m sticking with. And if macOS can run with graphics acceleration from an AMD iGPU then bonus!.

I am stoked to hear about keeping old Mac Pro alive because I have one of those — well I just retired it but it's still on my desk.

But I keep getting stuck at why people are fighting so hard to keep new macOS going.

My Phone has 4x the raw single core compute, 2x the multi core, 4x the drive IO, and at least equal GPU to GTX 680, plus neural net engine, etc, and I never think about how much RAM it has. And it does it in a 5W envelope, instead of 150W.

Yes the climb the mountain... but I think this all feels a little weird. I'm stoked at the accomplishment, but not the prospects. And it's weird.

I say so because I'm famished for a new way to look at the PC that makes it more useful for knowledge, and I feel that looking backwards is fair in the sense of taking stock. But there's also this cultural fetish of return to a bygone era: nostalgia for a future that never came to pass, to paraphrase the late Mark Fisher. We are looking back partly because we can no longer look ahead.

Don't confuse keeping old ways alive with a vital future. Know where we come from but don't cling to the past, blah blah

Anyway,

Wondered if you were aware of this on the Insanely forums. Started in 2017 and last post was from 2020, But the WhateverRed-master linked at the bottom of the page was last edited 22 hours ago!, is this the official thread for WhateverRed?.
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 10.50.10 AM.png

Last edited:
After the recent OpenCore 0.9.2 update, changes were made to... what's it called now?. AGPMInjector.kext was removed from Assets, with the comment 'It's useless' attached. Partial acceleration with the help of a boot-arg can be achieved on Ryzen 4000 series, the Ryzen 4600G is currently $100 on Newegg!.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 8.30.07 AM.png

Back