Contribute
Register

Legacy BIOS + Clover + NVMe = Fedora 26 Booting OK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Rampage III Extreme
CPU
Intel Xeon X5650 Westmere-EP 6-Core
Graphics
ATI HD 5870
Hello,

Using a freshly created Clover r4128 USB 2.0 device today, and thanks to that I already have a booting Fedora 26 on a NVMe device, on a legacy BIOS machine, woohoo. However, something seems a wee bit off, and I am not sure I did it right. I feel like I should be manually installing Linux, not using automatic defaults. As you can see in the image below how Fedora set itself up on that NVMe device. It is obvious Clover is more tuned for macOS, but it also seems to be OS agnostic at the same time?

I have already created the Fedora USB installer, booted it using Clover and dropped in all of the efi drivers from the "driversOFF" folder to the "drivers64" folder (was this correct?). First off though, I managed to format the USB using "GPT for UEFI" formatted via Rufus in Windows 10. Booted to Clover, went into the shell and commenced to booting and installing from the Live Distro. Then, once I got Fedora booted I simply pointed Anaconda at the brand new Samsung SM961 NVMe SSD. However, I have already killed the install twice before when setting it up on my own (in dual boot), so on this 3rd try I simply let Fedora DIY it, not changing anything (single OS boot claiming the entire SSD). Now I have a working Fedora 26 booting on NVMe PCIe on a 2010 x58 system. Just WOW!....... BUT, I have questions and need tips.

QUESTION:
Is the default Clover setup "Out of the Box" good enough or should I be modifying Clovers plist file for an even better experience? I have already taken a look at the plist file using CCE, but LOL I had no clue what to do in their, not yet anyway, not until I can find some documentation on how to use CCE. I have made TWO Clover usb drives of course, just in case I break one with experiments, which I already done several times, haha.

So, the question is, Should I be modifying Clover for a better experience, or is the default good enough? Below is my machine.

Asus Rampage III Extreme x58 (legacy BIOS set to PnP=Yes)
Intel Xeon X5650 6-core (Westmere-EP)
12GB RAM
ATI HD 5870
Samsung SM961 NVMe SSD 256GB (using Asus M.2 MINI x4 adapter on full x16 slot #3)
ASMedia USB 3.1 x4 USB PCIe card.

All sata ports disabled, onboard usb 3.0 disabled, no other operating systems, just Fedora 26 on NVMe device.

Things to do:
Learn Clover like a Pro! First and foremost.
2. I need to set Clover to auto boot Fedora in 1 second. That should give me plenty of time to enter clover if I need to.
3. Figure out why the OS set CFQ as the default I/O Scheduler, when it should be "none". Is Clover at fault or is Fedora or my machine?
4. And finally, learn to dual and tripple boot OS's.
5. HAVE FUN!

I was already told that Fedora will set no scheduler when installing to NVMe, yet my Fedora install set CFQ? This seems to suggest my default Clover setup, or machine setup, seems to need some work to get the OS installed correctly.

I also want to use macOS maybe in the future (on new NVMe device tho), but for now I want to "learn to use Clover efficiently" and only run Fedora 26 at the time being. In the future I will want macOS+Win10+Fedora (I'm not even sure my machine qualifies for macOS). But for now I need to understand how to work with and edit Clover settings, and how to install OS's in this new way when not using legacy BIOS.

Thank you so much for any clover setup tips please. So damn happy to have found this amazing Bootloader. Just WOW! Now I want a Clover tattoo... lol

Best Regards
Rod

EDIT: I also uploaded the stock plist file, just in case it is requested.
UcaztyJl.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    17.4 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Oh, and I used the below instructions to Dual Boot Linux+Windows in UEFI mode. BOTH times Clover did NOT see any bootable operating systems after I followed that guide perfectly, which quite frankly makes no sense to me.

http://linuxbsdos.com/2016/12/01/dual-boot-fedora-25-windows-10-on-a-computer-with-uefi-firmware

I first installed Windows without any problem. Once Clover booted Windows and I setup Windows how I like, I then proceeded to prepare for Fedora. Used Clovers UEFI Shell, booted the Live USB installer, then used the above guide to install Fedora. Again, I tried this TWICE and both times Clover would boot and NOT give me any boot options, no OS to boot to. So something in that guide above is killing it. And I think it is the part where I use "boot/efi" ??? Maybe Fedora is breaking it?

Either way, I had to install Fedora by itself and letting Fedora have the entire SSD in order to get Fedora listed in the Clover boot menu. I am now 100% sure I am doing something wrong, although it is the same way I install Fedora on true UEFI machines.

UEFI mode does not work with Legacy BIOS. They are incompatible - if your build is Legacy BIOS, then your installation must be Legacy also. So, forget EFI on your X58 system and install everything in Legacy mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back