Contribute
Register

Lean Mean editing machine for Final Cut Pro X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Supermicro X10SLL-F
CPU
Intel E3-1231 V3
Graphics
ASUS GTX 750 GTX750DCSL2GD5
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am about to built an system for video editing on Final Cut Pro X for a client and we need maximum performance and at least 2 monitors and a SDI video output for monitoring.

I was thinking about these parts.

2 x Intel Xeon E5-2660 SR0GZ (around 120€ used from ebay, both without heatsink)
Supermicro X9DRE-TF+ (around 450€ new from ebay)
Samsung 64GB 8x8GB ECC REG (around 110€ new from ebay)
2 x Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II (around 500€ new both)
2 x Zalman FX70 (around 100€ new both)
ORICO PA31-AC USB 3.1 2 Port (around 20€ new from ebay)

For video monitoring i was thinking using Black Magic's Declink SDI 4K pci-e card (around 300€) and a Pocket Ultrascope USB 3.0 (around 600€) for waveform monitoring.

Which part would you advice me to change and which do you suggest for this price for Final Cut Pro X?

Last edited:
Sounds great! But i think that you are maybe better off with a skylake pc. And i heard the r9 got some problems with OS X

But good luck building your system!

Check out this

It shows that for fcpx etc the graphics cards play a huge role on rendering times... Thats why you have big differences on dual gpu systems and single gpu one. Also fcpx is an opencl program which means that gpu should play a big role on it's performance.

Also on this forum and not only it is "proven" that the AMD R9 280x is the fastest, oob card for fcpx (brucex benchmark).

btw I really like the HP Z600.. A couple of months ago i built a z620 with Intel's w3690 and a GTX 960... Very cheap very powerful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back