Contribute
Register

Layman's guide to access Mac App Store with NullEthernet.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a dell 9360 and a working usb-c external ethernet adapter. This is not seen as built-in so I tried the following:

- Installed the NullEthernetInjector kext, changed the Mac address in the plist file to match the one of my adapter (converted to Base64), rebuilt the cache

- Decompiled, edited, compiled SSDT-RMNE adding the same address

Now I see the device RMNE in ioReg but the kext is not loading. I think that the problem could be caused by the fact that this is not seen as PCI device, is there a workaround, or, maybe, I have done something wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Hi,
I have a dell 9360 and a working usb-c external ethernet adapter. This is not seen as built-in so I tried the following:

- Installed the NullEthernetInjector kext, changed the Mac address in the plist file to match the one of my adapter (converted to Base64), rebuilt the cache

- Decompiled, edited, compiled SSDT-RMNE adding the same address

Now I see the device RMNE in ioReg but the kext is not loading. I think that the problem could be caused by the fact that this is not seen as PCI device, is there a workaround, or, maybe, I have done something wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Hi, sorry! I should have done that right away...

It looks like the USB ports do not behave like they should (external USB disks recognised as internal), I do not know if this could be related since my ethernet is attached to an USB port..

As for the ACPI folder: In the patched directory DSDT.bak is the result of an attempt of cleaning and patching my own DSDT, but this results in a kernel panic on boot. So the only files left are the SSDT that I got from a post by someone that has the same Dell 9560 (well, I have a standard 1TB+32GbSSD instead of their SSD)

Again, thanks for your help!

Hi, sorry! I should have done that right away...

It looks like the USB ports do not behave like they should (external USB disks recognised as internal), I do not know if this could be related since my ethernet is attached to an USB port..

As for the ACPI folder: In the patched directory DSDT.bak is the result of an attempt of cleaning and patching my own DSDT, but this results in a kernel panic on boot. So the only files left are the SSDT that I got from a post by someone that has the same Dell 9560 (well, I have a standard 1TB+32GbSSD instead of their SSD)

Again, thanks for your help!

USB is off-topic (read the laptop FAQ).

Your kextcache output shows NullEthernet.kext is not installed.

Thanks, that's embarrassing... I've just checked the main folder where I found NullEthernetInjector, I thought that the name of the kext has changed. NullEthernet was in the Debug folder..
Now en0 appears as Ethernet (instead of the name of my device) in Network preferences. It has the Mac address of my usb ethernet device and it is connected. However IOReg shows that it is not built-in. I attach the new IOReg and the kextcache output.
Thanks!

Thanks, that's embarrassing... I've just checked the main folder where I found NullEthernetInjector, I thought that the name of the kext has changed. NullEthernet was in the Debug folder..
Now en0 appears as Ethernet (instead of the name of my device) in Network preferences. It has the Mac address of my usb ethernet device and it is connected. However IOReg shows that it is not built-in. I attach the new IOReg and the kextcache output.
Thanks!

You need to reset network interfaces as per NullEthernet readme.

Thanks, I got it to work. Just in case someone else does my same mistake: I was trying change the status of a real ethernet device to built-in by assigning its MacAddress to the faked device. Now I just restored the default MacAddress in the SSDT file for RMNE and I have two ethernet devices en0 (fake) and en1 (real).

I'm getting bunch of errors when trying to save the patch with maciasl in .aml format, the likes of '4532, 6126, syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_IF, expecting PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN or ',''. anybody had same issue?

[EDIT] When trying to save the patch I get
The document “System DSDT” could not be saved as “System DSDT”.

The compiler returned one or more errors.

Last edited:
I'm getting bunch of errors when trying to save the patch with maciasl in .aml format, the likes of '4532, 6126, syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_IF, expecting PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN or ',''. anybody had same issue?

[EDIT] When trying to save the patch I get
The document “System DSDT” could not be saved as “System DSDT”.

The compiler returned one or more errors.

See ACPI patching guide linked from FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Note: It is easier to use SSDT-rmne.aml.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back