Contribute
Register

LaunchOption in OC 0.6.6 and how to mess it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shuhung was talking about adding an EFI partition (required for UEFI booting) to your macOS drive. Using an application called EasyUEFI in windows. As I think he is suggesting the Nvram clear has wiped the UEFI partition from your macOS drive. I don't think you need to do this.

Hitting the Clear CMOS switch would be best, as it should re-enable all bootable partitions.

Or am I not understanding your advice?

Use Windows EasyUEFI to add OC entry to UEFI BIOS boot menu, not add entry to UEFI section of OC config,plist

think this might be the key to my problem. I can't be the only person tripped up by this?

Common case when macOS and Windows are installed at same disk, Windows always has higher priority on PC.

I think I got it fixed.

I would like to change the title of this thread, to "LaunchOption in OC 0.6.6 and how to mess it up:.

Here are the contributing factors:
  • LaunchOption, and BOOT/Bootx86.efi of OC changed in 0.6.6
  • If one only copies the 3 essential files from OC 0.6.6 into your 0.6.5 version you can get really messed up
  • If you compound that with doing a NVRAM reset then you may lose the ability to boot on OC.
  • If you don't read the https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...ot/bootstrap.html#updating-bootstrap-in-0-6-6
    section for 0.6.6 carefully you can mess up the BIOS boot options
  • Finally don't have a left over Microsoft boot folder in your EFI folder as the whole boot sequence has changed in 0.6.6
  • You can't leave the old version of the BOOT folder in your EFI. You must replace it with the new 0.6.6 version
@shuhung : I have separate SSD's for Windows and for OSX. They don't share the same disk.

Basically to fix this issue, and I can't be the only one to see this (?), you have to follow the instructions in the OC manual regarding LaunchOption.

Now my BIOS gives me TWO options from the SAME EFI partition:

1. UEFI boot of OC
2. Microsoft Boot Manager

Don't ask me how it gives two options. Magic.

I have separate SSD's for Windows and for OSX. They don't share the same disk.

Means that your OC boot loader share same ESP partition with Microsoft boot loader.

Don't ask me how it gives two options. Magic.

1, Create a backup folder and move Mircosoft folder inside it, reboot, then BIOS will detect /EFI/Boot/BOOTX64.efi as UEFI OS.

2, restore Mircosoft folder back to /EFI, after UEFI OS option show in BIOS.

2, restore Mircosoft folder back to /EFI, after UEFI OS option show in BIOS.

Yes I did as you suggested. My DUAL boot option is now there.

This 0.6.6 update really messed my Hackintoshes up. It has broken my Z97 Motherboard Hackintosh. But there seems to be a hidden key, not documented as far as I can tell, to turn off Bootstrap mode buy setting a config.plist option of Misc -> BootProtect -> None.

Anyway thanks for all your help. Hopefully I'm in a stable place today, and going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back