Contribute
Register

Laughable FCPX performance despite decent specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried the AMDs and just honestly didn't care for them. But that's my personal opinion. I actually don't game. Unless it's poker. And the 1080ti can handle that in windows and OS X . I mainly do drone services for the community within a reasonable distance from me. I provide aerial video and pictures for anyone needing them. My YouTube page is for helping others learn how to properly use them. I've owned several mac pros and finally decided I wanted something that I can do what I want with it for less than half the price of a pro.
But then, why buy a very expensive graphics card not really "supported" by FCPX when you can get much better results with a Radeon? Not judging, just trying to understand :)

But then, why buy a very expensive graphics card not really "supported" by FCPX when you can get much better results with a Radeon? Not judging, just trying to understand :)
Sorry I forgot to add. Gaming is done by others in my household.

I understand ;) And as a geek I wouldn't care for a Radeon either!
And I'm a hill billy geek. Just listen to me on the YouTube page. People are shocked when they actually hear me.

For a quick update to the original 10.12.5 took a dive on FCPX performance even with the updated nvidia drivers. If your a serious FCPX user hold off. Hopefully Nvidia will release a better update.

As ekwipt said, if you really need tremendous performance in FCPX you should use an AMD card instead of buying 2 1080ti. A cheap Radeon will destroy the best Nvidia anytime in FCPX.
I'm a professionnal video editor and if I chose a 980ti it's because I wanted the right balance between gaming performance on windows and good performance in video applications on OSX (probably your case too?)

This is correct.

FCPX is designed for real Macs and tailored for AMD which has higher computational numbers than nVidia (which has better raw performance).

I really doubt Apple tests FCPX with dozens of GPUs. It's specficially for iMacs, MacBook Pros and Mac Pros.

So if you want steady performance even over time with different OS updates, get an older AMD card like the 280x.

I built a friend a rig for FCPX and specifically got a 280x card and he hasn't had 1 issue, even after upgrades from El Cap to Sierra. This is because Apple uses these exact same AMD GPUs.

If EVER Apple goes back to nVidia, especially their higher end consumer GPUs like the 1080Ti in the next Mac Pro (next year?) then FCPX will be tailored for that.

Now Premiere is another story. Adobe has to make it work with all sorts of GPUs.

FCPX and Premiere performance are apples to orange comparisons.

Maybe you can get a 280x and keep your 780Ti in the system? I'm not sure if FCPX will have issues.

Me, personally, I have a bigger problem with FCPX (which I don't use because I don't like it anyway)....but my playback just stutters because it doesn't like dual 980Tis.

I have a 1080ti and get terrible 4K playback performance in FCX compared to Premiere. Constant jitter/dropped frames. In Windows, it plays perfectly.

I haven't updated my drivers to the latest High Sierra version yet...curious for those that have, has there been any improvement? Any other suggestions or are we just waiting for Nvidia to make things work?

I was thinking of trying something and would be interested to know what others think...

If I were to (re-)install my old Radeon HD7950 next to my existing Nvidia GTX 1080ti, but without connecting a monitor to the Radeon card, would FCPX notice it and use it for rendering, bypassing the Nvidia card? Or, if it won't do that automatically, might there be a way to persuade it to? The performance in FCPX surely couldn't be any worse, at least.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back