Contribute
Register

Latest Haswell (LGA1150) Motherboard Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also featuring 2 Thunderbolt ports (on SJ's list): ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac

Does anyone actually try the ASRock H87M Pro4 with Maverick?
It's not too expensive, and it seems to just...do the work.

I now have an all-new, assembled system, (2 x 3TB HD, 120GB SSD, 2 optical drives, cables, PSU, fans etc. all cabled up) except for the CPU (i5 4750) and Corsair 16GB DDR3 CL8 waiting, like me, for their motherboard.

I can't remember anything about before I was born, but I wonder if this is how it felt?

OK the serious question is are there any good predictions of currently available 8-series Gigabyte motherboards at the cheaper end - I don't want to overclock or install a graphics card, but I need the option to install 32GB RAM - that will be so compatible with Mavericks they will be almost native? If the worst came to the worst, I am happy to go with Linux but I could do with buying a safe-bet, low-end likely Mavericks-compatible motherboard soon. The expectancy is severe.

There, question put. Phew.

Depends on what you consider inexpensive. Gigabyte is rolling out H81 boards with the H81M-HD3 for the home theater PC market. It will support 32 GB RAM in a micro ATX factor. Should be in the channel shortly and is expected to retail well under US$100. You'd need to ask Tony if he plans on supporting it with his installer.

Otherwise there are currently shipping H87 boards that will be as compatible as the Z87 boards of the same type. If you wait a month or so there should be others announced or in the channel. Right now there are H87 boards for around US$100 and Z87 for around US$150 and up, If you are going to wait until Mavericks anyway there should be more available by the time it ships.

http://www.techpowerup.com/188228/gigabyte-rolls-out-h81m-hd3-socket-lga1150-motherboard.html

http://hu.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-h81m-hd3rev_10/

Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean if a certain Gigabyte Z87 board is recommended, the H87 equivalent should work just as well? I know the Z range is for overclockers but is that the only difference?.

My case can take ATX, Micro ATX or Mini ITX motherboards so I am not restricted on size.

Does that mean if a certain Gigabyte Z87 board is recommended, the H87 equivalent should work just as well? I know the Z range is for overclockers but is that the only difference?.

The differences between the Z87 and H87 chipsets are in the ability to overclock and support for triple crossfire setups (which isn't applicable to OS X). There are boards, depending on the model, where there are differences in feature sets such as number of ports or headers and in some cases, though the H87 has the same memory config, only two slots are included. It 's pretty easy to find comparable boards in Z and H chipsets. Some may also provide Z versions for gaming and OC that have larger heat sinks on the chip or other gaming or OC specific features. For general purpose builds unless you are into OC or need a box that can do triple Crossfire or SLI if you have a Windows side you'll fine with an H as long as it has the ports and features you desire.

I have both version of motherboard for Gigabyte. With H87 I couldn´t install any OSX. But with Z87X, I have native 10.8.5 and Maverick DP5 with HD4600 working with injection. I don´t know the difference. Maybe in the bios. Double check your buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back