Contribute
Register

Latest Hardware vs Native Compatability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I will soon be building a new system to replace my MacBook Pro used primarily for Pro Tools. My interface is a Universal Audio Apollo so Thunderbolt is a must have.

I'm considering a i7-8700K with an ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac. This would give me 6 cores of Hyperthreading for Plugins and Thunderbolt for interface connectivity.

The more I watch the newest Coffee Lake builds and the more I read I have to wonder if Native Compatibility might be something I should be considering. It would sure make future OS updates more certain...

The problem is that for multicore (6 or more) with Thunderbolt choices have been pretty slim.

Am I over thinking this? Any thoughts or recommendations?

My rig works fine with Pro Tools 12 HD (& TB Apollo). I also have an UAD2 Quad.
Coffee Lake is really new, so beware. Do your homework.

TB works, but it's not exactly on the level of a real mac: you might have to do stuff in Windows before it starts to work in OSX, no hotplugging, some devices will simply not work, no TB video.

Last edited:
My rig works fine with Pro Tools 12 HD (& TB Apollo). I also have an UAD2 Quad.
Coffee Lake is really new, so beware. Do your homework.

TB works, but it's not exactly on the level of a real mac: you might have to do stuff in Windows before it starts to work in OSX, no hotplugging, some devices will simply not work, no TB video.

That's also one of my concerns. I have a TB Display as well so I'd like video to work but if it comes down to it I'm willing to get another monitor if that's what I have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back