Contribute
Register

Latest custom Mac Pro Mini!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious, are you using internal wifi antennas on it? I'm having a rather hard time finding internal antennas that will behave with my half-mini broadcom card.

I'm curious, are you using internal wifi antennas on it? I'm having a rather hard time finding internal antennas that will behave with my half-mini broadcom card.

An internal wifi card must be connected to external antenna. Internal antenna do not work as the metal case acts as a barrier to the wifi signal - think of how a Faraday cage works.

Adrian B

An internal wifi card must be connected to external antenna. Internal antenna do not work as the metal case acts as a barrier to the wifi signal - think of how a Faraday cage works.

Adrian B

I don't know how I got the impression the OP was using internal antennas... or even wifi for that matter. In any case, for my build, the case is plastic. Internal is an option.

Even if the case was metal, there is always someplace you can hide an aperture. I haven't seen an external antenna on an Apple product since the G5 tower.

I don't know how I got the impression the OP was using internal antennas... or even wifi for that matter. In any case, for my build, the case is plastic. Internal is an option.

Even if the case was metal, there is always someplace you can hide an aperture. I haven't seen an external antenna on an Apple product since the G5 tower.

If you are building a machine using PC components then you need to use external antenna for wifi to work. Even in a plastic case you have other electrical fields that will cause interference in a wifi signal. External antenna can be adjusted for best performance. iMacs and Mac Minis have allowances made in the design process to allow internal antenna to function properly - this is not yet the case with PC products.

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back