Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Last-Best

To set the stage I am sharing two photos of my “office/lab/machine shop”. I am very pleased with this work space.
Office-lab-1.jpg

Office-lab-2.jpg

Anyway I have started a slow roll case project as an outlet for my need to be creative.

The ITX Motherboard is an ASUS ROG STRIX B360-I Gaming with an Intel i7-8700T (35W TDP) and 16 GB of DDR4 memory.

I am using a Scythe Big Shuriken 3 Low Profile 120mm CPU Cooler. And an AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB GDDR5 Video Graphics Card - OEM for the GPU.

I selected a NOYITO PCI-Express 16x Riser Card 90 Degree Right Angle Riser Adapter Card so as to get the GPU card mounting down to the deck (see photo).

To get get the MB and GPU mounting height where I wanted them, I had to mod 4 taller standoffs (salvage from an Apple G5 Power Mac) down to 0.462 inches (11.66mm).

Starting-1.jpg

For those not familiar with my projects, this set of parts was selected with the idea of running Apple macOS as the primary OS. This board set currently dual boots Apple Mojave v10.14.6 and Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit Home edition.

In this project, the overall size will be (without panels and feet) 12.5 x 7.75 x 4.25 = 412 cu. inches (6,75L).

Some time ago I purchased the aluminum plate stock that I am using. The frame work for this system will be carved from 0.250 inch (6.3 mm) stock. As seen in these early photos, I have constructed a four sided box of the 0.250 inch, missing are the front and back panels which will be made from 0.100 inch plate stock.

Starting-2.jpg

Starting-3.jpg
Starting-4.jpg

Feel free to comment and or ask questions.

Neil

Last-Best

To set the stage I am sharing two photos of my “office/lab/machine shop”. I am very pleased with this work space.
View attachment 422848

View attachment 422849

Anyway I have started a slow roll case project as an outlet for my need to be creative.

The ITX Motherboard is an ASUS ROG STRIX B360-I Gaming with an Intel i7-8700T (35W TDP) and 16 GB of DDR4 memory.

I am using a Scythe Big Shuriken 3 Low Profile 120mm CPU Cooler. And an AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB GDDR5 Video Graphics Card - OEM for the GPU.

I selected a NOYITO PCI-Express 16x Riser Card 90 Degree Right Angle Riser Adapter Card so as to get the GPU card mounting down to the deck (see photo).

To get get the MB and GPU mounting height where I wanted them, I had to mod 4 taller standoffs (salvage from an Apple G5 Power Mac) down to 0.462 inches (11.66mm).

View attachment 422850

For those not familiar with my projects, this set of parts was selected with the idea of running Apple macOS as the primary OS. This board set currently dual boots Apple Mojave v10.14.6 and Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit Home edition.

In this project, the overall size will be (without panels and feet) 12.5 x 7.75 x 4.25 = 412 cu. inches (6,75L).

Some time ago I purchased the aluminum plate stock that I am using. The frame work for this system will be carved from 0.250 inch (6.3 mm) stock. As seen in these early photos, I have constructed a four sided box of the 0.250 inch, missing are the front and back panels which will be made from 0.100 inch plate stock.

View attachment 422851
View attachment 422852View attachment 422853
Feel free to comment and or ask questions.

Neil

Needs more cowbell!

More Cowbell - SNL

Last edited:
Gigamaxx that is a great assessment of my project. More Cowbell coming soon!

Good modding,
neil

More Cowbell …

I made up a hole drill guide from 0.5 inch aluminum angle stock.
Drill-1.jpg

I also made up an inner core size ABS plastic 4 sided box to aid in holding the parts for drilling.

Drill-3.jpg

Drill-4.jpg

Drill-5.jpg

More Cowbell to follow,
neil

More Cowbell …

I have mounted all of the major components into the WIP case. Not shown are the front and back panels which I have now cut to size but not mounted.

bare-1.jpg

bare-2.jpg

More to follow,
neil

And worked on the front and rear panels yesterday. Both blank panels are now mounted and ready to start cutting the features openings.

Rear-P.jpg

Front-P.jpg

I do have to go online and shop for USB 3 bulkhead mount dual ports as used in several of my past builds.

More to follow,
neil

Currently have the system components installed and the cables to the HDPLEX AC-DC and HDPLEX DC-DC fitted. I fabricated another multifunction power/reset switch which includes the power LED and drive activity LED.
Rear-Left.jpg

As seen here, I ran the system for an hour and it did get a little warm as I have no fresh air intake at this point.

I was not happy with the rear IO plate fit nor the GPU rear panel. My current solution was to add the black bezel seen here. This bezel will most likely undergo some refinement tweaks.
Bezel-1.jpg

Then I intend to start adding cut-outs (remove material) from so that the air flow through the case is fairly un-restricted.
Front-without-panel.jpg

I was amazed that I had cables that fit and did not have to build any. The one flat cable is too long but is not a problem other then an eye sore.

Multifunction-Sw-1.jpg

Multifunction-Sw-2.jpg

The sliding switch assembly fits in the small space between the HDPLEX AC-DC unit and the GPU.
Looking-down.jpg

Note at this point I have made no provision for internal hard drives or 2.5” SSDs. The system is running from a 500 GB Samsung EVO Plus M.2 device. I read that this device needs a firmware update so will go chase that down.

Edit: I found the Samsung package add-in slip of paper that indicates end-users should download the "Samsung Magician" application, for Windows, and and use it to update drivers and firmware. Anyway I booted this system into Windows 10 and installed and ran the Samsung application. Then back in Mojave I ran the latest 10.14.6 Supplemental Update. The update completed and the system seems tp be happy. Time will tell.

More to follow.
Neil

Last edited:
More Cowbell,
Top-Cutout-1.jpg

Top-Cutout-2.jpg

More to follow.
neil

On an early test of the mostly complete case I be came concerned with how much heat was being held in the upper area of the case.

So this is the mod to the case design. I moved the HDPLEX PSU units downward to make a little space at the top of the case. I added windows to the panels, added two 80mm thin fans in a fan tray at the top and moved the Samsung 970 M.2 SSD to the back of the motherboard with a large copper heat sink and good blower fan (repurposed CPU fan from an intel thin motherboard cooler).

There is still more to do before this project can be declared as finished, however it now can run for hours under full load of the Prime95 torture test.

Modding the top panel adding mesh.
top-1.jpg

The top area with the fan tray.
top-2.jpg

The left side with M.2 device cooling in place.
left-side.jpg

And the cables at the front. I need to re-make my sliding power switch assembly as it does not work correctly with the mod to the case.
open-front.jpg

More to follow,
neil

So here I sit trying to decide how to proceed.

The Last-Best is performing great. It was going to be my last project system. However I am not happy with the final form.

The temptation to do another project (Last-Best-Plus) is weighing heavily on me.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back