Contribute
Register

Largely successful: HP ProBook 470 G0 10.8.5 with ProBook Installer 6.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your fan is anything like the 4x40s, you probably don't really need it (because the fan is already relatively quiet). But if your fan is off until reaching 51C, then it is working.

On my 4530s, I've done a hardware mod to make the fan (be able to) spin slower, so I don't use the "silent" fan patch anymore, preferring to let it run (I use a modified fan DSDT patch from my patch repo).

Battery kext just reports what the DSDT reports. If the DSDT says there is X mA available, that's what it reports. Could be DSDT issue or BIOS DSDT bug. You might try an EC reset, as sometimes the EC gets a little confused and needs a power cycle: Shutdown, remove battery, remove AC plug, hold power 30 sec, put everything back & restart.

HWMonitor tells me that the fan speed is almost invariably fixed to 2318 rpm. The hardware mod is probably not for the faint-hearted?

Will observe the battery topic and in case of obvious misreadings follow your advice. Dare I ask what "EC" stands for? Energy controller? Emergency care?

best regards,
Ludwig

HWMonitor tells me that the fan speed is almost invariably fixed to 2318 rpm. The hardware mod is probably not for the faint-hearted?

Will observe the battery topic and in case of obvious misreadings follow your advice. Dare I ask what "EC" stands for? Energy controller? Emergency care?

best regards,
Ludwig

Which DSDT patch did you use for the fan? Do you have "Fan always on when AC power connected" disabled in BIOS?

EC == EmbeddedController. It is a small CPU/controller/firmware on the motherboard that controls fan speed, keyboard/trackpad controller, temperature monitoring, battery charging/monitoring, and who knows what else. It does not lose power as long as the battery is providing power, thus when it gets into a bad state, the only way to reset it is by cutting power to it. The holding down of the power button is to drain any capacitor that might be feeding it power.

Which DSDT patch did you use for the fan? Do you have "Fan always on when AC power connected" disabled in BIOS?

EC == EmbeddedController. It is a small CPU/controller/firmware on the motherboard that controls fan speed, keyboard/trackpad controller, temperature monitoring, battery charging/monitoring, and who knows what else. It does not lose power as long as the battery is providing power, thus when it gets into a bad state, the only way to reset it is by cutting power to it. The holding down of the power button is to drain any capacitor that might be feeding it power.

The "quiet fan patch". "Fan always on when AC power connected" is disabled in BIOS.

Thanks for the explanation. Actually my laptop lost power a few minutes ago with a readout of about 30-40% residual battery capacity. I proceeded as you proposed and now am loading the battery. Will see, whether this will change accuracy for the better.

best regards,
Ludwig

The "quiet fan patch". "Fan always on when AC power connected" is disabled in BIOS.

Thanks for the explanation. Actually my laptop lost power a few minutes ago with a readout of about 30-40% residual battery capacity. I proceeded as you proposed and now am loading the battery. Will see, whether this will change accuracy for the better.

best regards,
Ludwig

Post your ioreg, I'd like to take a look at what battery information is displayed. You might want to inspect your the data printed on the battery (voltage, capacity, etc.) to see if it correlates to what your DSDT is reporting.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

A native DSDT upload would not be a bad idea either.

As far as fan behavior, you should read this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

In there you'll find information on using RW-Everything (on Windows) to experiment with fan control registers in the EC. Maybe your EC registers are different than the older ProBooks.

Post your ioreg, I'd like to take a look at what battery information is displayed. You might want to inspect your the data printed on the battery (voltage, capacity, etc.) to see if it correlates to what your DSDT is reporting.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

A native DSDT upload would not be a bad idea either.

As far as fan behavior, you should read this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

In there you'll find information on using RW-Everything (on Windows) to experiment with fan control registers in the EC. Maybe your EC registers are different than the older ProBooks.

Ioreg is attached. It says design capacity is 0x1194 or 4500. Printed on the battery is 4200mAh, 10.V, 47Wh. That seems to fit.

Will look into others topics later.

best regards,
Ludwig

Attachments

• 470 G0.ioreg
    1.5 MB · Views: 154
Ioreg is attached. It says design capacity is 0x1194 or 4500. Printed on the battery is 4200mAh, 10.V, 47Wh. That seems to fit.

Will look into others topics later.

best regards,
Ludwig

What happens if you compare battery status from OS X to Windows? Let the battery draw down to 60%. Take note of CurrentCapacity. How does capacity at 60% and ~2700mAh compare to values displayed by Windows?

I'll take a moment to say thanks to community and especially to Rehabman. I've been running OSX since Lion on HP Probook 4530s! You are awesome!

I have an exact same configuration and attempting to install Maverick.
I'm stuck on first launch from USB, after I select "Installer" in Unibeast menu.
All I can see is the Apple logo and then the screen becomes black, that is it. I've tried to:
- Turn off graphics in BIOS by removing checkbox from "Switchable graphics"
- Type "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=no -x" before hitting an enter on "Installer"

I'll take a moment to say thanks to community and especially to Rehabman. I've been running OSX since Lion on HP Probook 4530s! You are awesome!

I have an exact same configuration and attempting to install Maverick.
I'm stuck on first launch from USB, after I select "Installer" in Unibeast menu.
All I can see is the Apple logo and then the screen becomes black, that is it. I've tried to:
- Turn off graphics in BIOS by removing checkbox from "Switchable graphics"
- Type "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=no -x" before hitting an enter on "Installer"

Use "IGPEnabler=No -x -v"

Great, it worked! :)

Another difference from this tutorial is that HP Probook installer now has HP Probook 4x0 G0 option. Yay!

Not working:
- WiFi. I hope in future it will support Railink wifi card. I've tried to tether WiFi from iPhone, but apparently iOS7 denies it. So I had to install HoRNDIS ( http://joshuawise.com/horndis ) to be able to tether wifi through Samsung GS3.
- Mic jack. It is ok, I will try USB headsets.

Big thanks RehabMan!

Great, it worked! :)

Another difference from this tutorial is that HP Probook installer now has HP Probook 4x0 G0 option. Yay!

Yes, you should be following the official guide (sticky guide at the top of the forum).

Not working:
- WiFi. I hope in future it will support Railink wifi card. I've tried to tether WiFi from iPhone, but apparently iOS7 denies it. So I had to install HoRNDIS ( http://joshuawise.com/horndis ) to be able to tether wifi through Samsung GS3.

Don't hold your breath. It will never be supported. Replace the card with a compatible card instead.

- Mic jack. It is ok, I will try USB headsets.

Use a stereo connection for the Mic jack (actually is an "Aux in", not a Mic, thus stereo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back