Contribute
Register

Largely successful: HP ProBook 470 G0 10.8.5 with ProBook Installer 6.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA- H87-D3H
CPU
Core i5 4570 Prozessor (3,2GHz, Sockel LGA1150, 6MB Cache)
Graphics
Asus GeForce GTX660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hardware:
HP ProBook 470 G0 i7-3632QM 8GB 750GB HD 8750M Win 7 + 8 Pro (H6P56EA)
Upgrade to 16GB RAM
Chipset Intel HM 76 Express
Display 1600 x 900
Dual graphics Intel HD 4000 / Radeon HD 8750M
750GB HD
DTS Sound+
HD Webcam
GB LAN
WLAN 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth 4.0

Connections:
VGA
HDMI
USB 2.0 2 x
USB 3.0 2 x
Card Reader 5 in 1

Installation:
  1. Essentially followed the sticky "Guide to Installing Mountain Lion on HP Probook" word for word
    1. updated to newest BIOS firmwar
    2. chose BIOS options according to the guide
    3. installed OS X ML 10.8.4 from Unibeast USB stick with "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=no -x" boot flags
    4. booted from USB stick into chameleon bootloader
    5. chose and booted from newly installed OS X ML 10.8.4 installation with "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=no -x" boot flags
    6. ran Probook installer 6.1.6
      1. chose the "4x40s support kexts"
      2. chose 4x40s ivy as Probook model
      3. chose quiet fan patch
      4. chose high resolution as display type
      5. chose SSDT generator
      6. ticked i7 quad core under system definitions.
      7. ticked latest chameleon boot loader
      8. ticked EDID generator under optional hardware specific fixes
      9. under misc OSX fixes chose
        1. Color profiles
        2. blinkscreen
      10. Let Probook installer do its magic
    7. Fixed boot0 error with the help of "boot0 Error: The Official Guide"
    8. booted into OS X without problem
    9. Updated to 10.8.5 with Probook installer 6.1.7 following the upgrade advice in the wonderful "Guide to Installing Mountain Lion on HP Probook"
  2. Interim result:
    1. working:
      1. 10.8.5 booting without problem and relatively fast.
      2. Display with 1600x900
      3. keyboard and some function keys (not sound volume)
      4. USB 2.0 and 3.0 plugs
      5. HDMI video (did no test HDMI audio so far)
    2. not working:
      1. audio
      2. 5 in 1 card reader
      3. WLAN
      4. Bluetooth
    3. not sure
      1. quiet fan behavior: not sure whether it works as intended and how to test
      2. battery management: Not sure about the accuracy of the residual capacity readout. Had one occasion where system apparently shut down at about 30% residual capacity. Have only a 46Wh battery which is less than in a 4x40s as I understand. Maybe changes need to be made to the battery management kext.
  3. Further installations
    1. changed original Wifi card to compatible Atheros card. With that wifi immediately started working.
    2. RehabMan generously crafted an AppleHDA.kext that made Intel HD audio (8086:1e20 Audio device, Sub Device 0x103C1948, Codec ID 0x111D76E0, Rev 0x0303, Codec Name IDT 92HD91BXX) work (see http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...working-probook-installer-but-no-audio-2.html). Installed that text with kext wizard and audio started working after a restart. Please give a big hand RehabMan!!

This is the current status. If you have hints on how to make the 5 in 1 reader work, test the fan behavior or eventually optimize the battery management, please do not hesitate to contact me.

best regards,
Ludwig

Probably typo at the beginning '4740s' should be '470s G0'

And for ethernet, you used AppleIntelE100e.kext, right? I did not see this mentioned, but maybe I missed it. Correction: This laptop has Realtek ethernet.

As for the card reader, what card reader is in it? Check DPCIManager to see if it is a PCI device. If not there, check USB device listing in System Information.

[*]quiet fan behavior: not sure whether it works as intended and how to test

If your fan is anything like the 4x40s, you probably don't really need it (because the fan is already relatively quiet). But if your fan is off until reaching 51C, then it is working.

On my 4530s, I've done a hardware mod to make the fan (be able to) spin slower, so I don't use the "silent" fan patch anymore, preferring to let it run (I use a modified fan DSDT patch from my patch repo).

[*]battery management: Not sure about the accuracy of the residual capacity readout. Had one occasion where system apparently shut down at about 30% residual capacity. Have only a 46Wh battery which is less than in a 4x40s as I understand. Maybe changes need to be made to the battery management kext.

Battery kext just reports what the DSDT reports. If the DSDT says there is X mA available, that's what it reports. Could be DSDT issue or BIOS DSDT bug. You might try an EC reset, as sometimes the EC gets a little confused and needs a power cycle: Shutdown, remove battery, remove AC plug, hold power 30 sec, put everything back & restart.

And for ethernet, you used AppleIntelE100e.kext, right? I did not see this mentioned, but maybe I missed it.

As for the card reader, what card reader is in it? Check DPCIManager to see if it is a PCI device. If not there, check USB device listing in System Information.

Ethernet: I did not do anything additional than to just choose the 4x40s profil in Probook Installer.

Card reader: Attached are screenshots of DPCIManager PCI list and system report USB list. I can't seem to find anything pertinent, can I?

best regards,
Ludwig

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-17 um 11.14.00.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-17 um 11.14.00.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 678
  • Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-17 um 11.21.01.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-17 um 11.21.01.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 1,445
Ethernet: I did not do anything additional than to just choose the 4x40s profil in Probook Installer.

OK, cool. Your ethernet is Realtek, same as the ProBook 4x30s/4x40s.

Card reader: Attached are screenshots of DPCIManager PCI list and system report USB list. I can't seem to find anything pertinent, can I?

What about after a sleep/wake cycle?

OK, cool. Your ethernet is Realtek, same as the ProBook 4x30s/4x40s.

What about after a sleep/wake cycle?

Actually, I have the impression that the 470 G0 might be something of an successor to the 4x40s. Could that be right?

After a sleep/wake cycle the system info USB list looks the same as before. DCPIManager PCI List looks a bit different though, see attachment. Is 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller the desired information?

regards,
Ludwig

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-17 um 17.17.28.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-17 um 17.17.28.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 654
Actually, I have the impression that the 470 G0 might be something of an successor to the 4x40s. Could that be right?

After a sleep/wake cycle the system info USB list looks the same as before. DCPIManager PCI List looks a bit different though, see attachment. Is 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller the desired information?

regards,
Ludwig

I don't see any difference... but I was expecting something from the USB section (wondering if there is some kind of USB/USB3 problem where the device is not showing up).

Maybe you should find out what bus the device is actually on. Check on Windows Device Manager... see if the card reader is a PCI device or if it is a USB device.

I don't see any difference... but I was expecting something from the USB section (wondering if there is some kind of USB/USB3 problem where the device is not showing up).

Maybe you should find out what bus the device is actually on. Check on Windows Device Manager... see if the card reader is a PCI device or if it is a USB device.

You're right, there is no difference.

Is there an alternative to windows device manager on a linux live cd? I do not have a bootable live windows CD and would have to install windows from scratch.

regards,
Ludwig

You're right, there is no difference.

Is there an alternative to windows device manager on a linux live cd? I do not have a bootable live windows CD and would have to install windows from scratch.

regards,
Ludwig

You could run 'lsusb -v' in Terminal from Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back