Contribute
Register

Laptop won't sleep/shutdown after a few hours of uptime

Status
Not open for further replies.
The WMI device is not used on OS X. Your deletions in patched files used on OS X will not affect the ACPI used on Windows.

Not sure I understand what you mean. I'm trying to chase down a weird issue in OSX (single boot on this laptop), where sleep/shutdown locks up when the laptop has been running for 2 or 3 hours. Since I have no clue as to what the cause of the lockup is, I'm trying to clean up the DSDT of anything that seems like a good candidate to trigger a lockup. Since the WMI device gets a lot of attention from various EC queries, I figured it could help to get rid of it.

Not sure I understand what you mean. I'm trying to chase down a weird issue in OSX (single boot on this laptop), where sleep/shutdown locks up when the laptop has been running for 2 or 3 hours. Since I have no clue as to what the cause of the lockup is, I'm trying to clean up the DSDT of anything that seems like a good candidate to trigger a lockup. Since the WMI device gets a lot of attention from various EC queries, I figured it could help to get rid of it.

I'm just saying that there is no harm in removing WMI as it is a Windows thing...

I do it as a matter of course for any hack I do...

I'm just saying that there is no harm in removing WMI as it is a Windows thing...

I do it as a matter of course for any hack I do...

Oh I got you! I'm hoping it will solve my lockups.. Debugging something that only happens after a few hours is a pain! :)

Oh I got you! I'm hoping it will solve my lockups.. Debugging something that only happens after a few hours is a pain! :)

Intermittent problems suck.

Intermittent problems suck.
They sure do! Worked perfect all day across multiple sleep/wake cycles, until I left it run for 2 hours and 30 minutes without sleep and it locked up again..
Code:
Nov  8 10:17:22 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: Version 0.1.2 starting
Nov  8 10:41:31 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x3, }
Nov  8 10:41:32 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_PTS enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 10:41:32 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_PTS exit"
Nov  8 10:41:32 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_WAK enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 10:41:32 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_WAK exit"
Nov  8 10:58:28 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x0, }
Nov  8 11:36:59 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x3, }
Nov  8 11:37:00 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_PTS enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 11:37:00 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_PTS exit"
Nov  8 11:37:00 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_WAK enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 11:37:00 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_WAK exit"
Nov  8 12:10:23 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x0, }
Nov  8 13:39:36 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x3, }
Nov  8 13:39:37 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_PTS enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 13:39:37 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_PTS exit"
Nov  8 13:39:37 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_WAK enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 13:39:37 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_WAK exit"
[B]Nov  8 14:32:01 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x0, }
Nov  8 16:58:10 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x3, }
Nov  8 17:01:25 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: Version 0.1.2 starting[/B]

Back to the drawing board I guess.. I was thinking of dumping the EC inside _TTS so I can maybe spot a difference in its contents between the times were sleep works fine and the times it locks up..
Or maybe trying Clover's FixRegions.. I don't have any other symptoms of floating regions though so I don't know if that'll help. Doesn't hurt to add it in there I guess.
Any other ideas?

They sure do! Worked perfect all day across multiple sleep/wake cycles, until I left it run for 2 hours and 30 minutes without sleep and it locked up again..
Code:
Nov  8 10:17:22 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: Version 0.1.2 starting
Nov  8 10:41:31 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x3, }
Nov  8 10:41:32 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_PTS enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 10:41:32 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_PTS exit"
Nov  8 10:41:32 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_WAK enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 10:41:32 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_WAK exit"
Nov  8 10:58:28 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x0, }
Nov  8 11:36:59 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x3, }
Nov  8 11:37:00 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_PTS enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 11:37:00 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_PTS exit"
Nov  8 11:37:00 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_WAK enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 11:37:00 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_WAK exit"
Nov  8 12:10:23 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x0, }
Nov  8 13:39:36 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x3, }
Nov  8 13:39:37 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_PTS enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 13:39:37 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_PTS exit"
Nov  8 13:39:37 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_WAK enter", 0x3, }
Nov  8 13:39:37 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "_WAK exit"
[B]Nov  8 14:32:01 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x0, }
Nov  8 16:58:10 mba kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: { "_TTS enter with state", 0x3, }
Nov  8 17:01:25 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: Version 0.1.2 starting[/B]

Back to the drawing board I guess.. I was thinking of dumping the EC inside _TTS so I can maybe spot a difference in its contents between the times were sleep works fine and the times it locks up..
Or maybe trying Clover's FixRegions.. I don't have any other symptoms of floating regions though so I don't know if that'll help. Doesn't hurt to add it in there I guess.
Any other ideas?

FixRegions can't hurt. From the sounds of it it is almost more likely to be some sort of memory corruption issue caused by bad kexts/drivers/etc. So you might review what you have installed and if possible eliminate kexts one-by-one. Also, you could compare against other version of OS X such as Mavericks...

FixRegions can't hurt. From the sounds of it it is almost more likely to be some sort of memory corruption issue caused by bad kexts/drivers/etc. So you might review what you have installed and if possible eliminate kexts one-by-one. Also, you could compare against other version of OS X such as Mavericks...

Guess where I got these bad boys :)
Code:
ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/
ACPIBacklight.kext       ACPIDebug.kext           FakeSMC.kext
ACPIBatteryManager.kext  CodecCommander.kext      VoodooPS2Controller.kext
Everything else is vanilla except an AppleHDA injector in SLE.

I'll give FixRegions a go and pull out my old Mavericks install to try to reproduce the issue if it still doesn't work. This would be much less of a hassle if I didn't have to wait 2+ hours before testing :)
Thanks for the help RehabMan, I appreciate it.

Guess where I got these bad boys :)
Code:
ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/
ACPIBacklight.kext       ACPIDebug.kext           FakeSMC.kext
ACPIBatteryManager.kext  CodecCommander.kext      VoodooPS2Controller.kext
Everything else is vanilla except an AppleHDA injector in SLE.

I'll give FixRegions a go and pull out my old Mavericks install to try to reproduce the issue if it still doesn't work. This would be much less of a hassle if I didn't have to wait 2+ hours before testing :)
Thanks for the help RehabMan, I appreciate it.

Any config.plist kext patches?

Are you using native WiFi (not USB)?

Any config.plist kext patches?
Sure, but nothing out of the ordinary:
https://github.com/vbourachot/Dell-XPS13-9333-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/config.plist#L119
  • AppleHDA
  • Trim
  • 2nd stage boot graphics fix for 10.10
  • Brcm4360 patches for wifi
  • I just added the handoff patch from the-darkvoid (issue predates this addition though, and the patch is probably not even applied since I don't enable bluetooth via BTFirmwareUploader so the kext is probably not in kernelcache. I just added it thinking someone following the guide I posted would ask for it at some point).

Are you using native WiFi (not USB)?
Yes PCi-E wifi - BCM94352Z, which is BCM4352 in M2/NGFF format.

Sure, but nothing out of the ordinary:
https://github.com/vbourachot/Dell-XPS13-9333-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/config.plist#L119
  • AppleHDA
  • Trim
  • 2nd stage boot graphics fix for 10.10
  • Brcm4360 patches for wifi
  • I just added the handoff patch from the-darkvoid (issue predates this addition though, and the patch is probably not even applied since I don't enable bluetooth via BTFirmwareUploader so the kext is probably not in kernelcache. I just added it thinking someone following the guide I posted would ask for it at some point).

Yes PCi-E wifi - BCM94352Z, which is BCM4352 in M2/NGFF format.

Seems pretty clean. Try without Trim for a while... Some SSDs have issues with Trim on OS X. My desktop Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 256GB)... I use without Trim as it slows boot down considerably. Check that you have current firmware for the SSD too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back