Contribute
Register

Laptop won't sleep/shutdown after a few hours of uptime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

Same problem here with my HP Pavilion 14-v065br: machine keeps on with black screen after some hours of work, supposely trying to enter sleep mode.

Can confirm the Intel ME update worked pretty well.

Don't know if somebody got this problem, the .bin file must be placed on the EFI root folder, otherwise FWUpDlCl.efi won't find it.

Thank you!

You have firmware 9.5.x.x. So:

how to discover the current version of mei?

assuming that my machine is this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-13-7348-laptop/pd?oc=fncww5003b&model_id=inspiron-13-7348-laptop

1. Download this: Intel ME 9.5 Consumer 1.5MB Firmware v9.5.45.1922 and extract
  2. Download this: Intel FWUpdate Tool for ME 9.5 Firmware v9.5.14.1724 and extract
  3. Then:

(assuming that you're using some 64-bit windows version)

Ah, I can't believe now I'm part of the club. Thanks for discovering this! Now my machine can behave like Macs more better :clap:
Anyway, is it just me or anyone here experiencing longer shutdown/restart after updating MEI? Well, in my case now restarting took few seconds longer be it before passing the threshold or after.
But I'm quite grateful that now it restarts/shutdown properly. Just wondering why, though.

It's pretty well explained on that website, but I'll paraphrase in a shorter form:
Start with section C1, and get Intel FWUpdate Tool for ME 9.5 Firmware v9.5.14.1724. Assuming you'll be using windows (adapt accordingly for DOS/EFI), open a command prompt as admin and run
Code:
FWUpdLcl -fwver
to confirm that you're running a 9.5 series firmware. If this checks out, get Intel ME 9.5 Consumer 1.5MB Firmware v9.5.45.1922 from section B1, and perform the update in the elevated command prompt by typing
Code:
FWUpdLcl -f WHEREVER_YOU_UNPACKED_THE_FIRMWARE\FIRMWARE_FILENAME.BIN
Reboot, and run FWUpdLcl -fwver again to check that the update was successful.
Note: No guarantee expressed or implied yada yada.. flashing a firmware carries inherent risks, and I am not responsible for any issue that may occur.

Thank you very much .. after several months of searching how to fix this, finally with ME firmware updates problem solved! Shutdown/sleep works perfect :thumbup:

Hi everyone
i ve been using hackintosh for a couple of year now. I was on mavericks and yosemite. Now i am on el capitan 10.11.6. I am now having a problem shutting down the system which is not completely stopped. the fan runs as if my hackintosh was on.
I dug info to find out how to fix this problem. I have found this thread BUT the problem is I don't know to start exactly.
I would like to update my i3 4005U firmware. I am running both windows 10 and hackintosh. I tried to run the FIRMWARE but it didn't work on CMD in windows and also in EFI (of course if it had work I wouldnt come here). Please tell me how to do this step by step. I am not smart. please help.

Hi everyone
i ve been using hackintosh for a couple of year now. I was on mavericks and yosemite. Now i am on el capitan 10.11.6. I am now having a problem shutting down the system which is not completely stopped. the fan runs as if my hackintosh was on.
I dug info to find out how to fix this problem. I have found this thread BUT the problem is I don't know to start exactly.
I would like to update my i3 4005U firmware. I am running both windows 10 and hackintosh. I tried to run the FIRMWARE but it didn't work on CMD in windows and also in EFI (of course if it had work I wouldnt come here). Please tell me how to do this step by step. I am not smart. please help.

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1880.JPG I have UPDATED core i3 firmware (Intel Haswell ME FW v9.5.55.1948) It is from DELL website, so it is pretty safe.
I don't know if it s gonna fix the shutdown issue or not. I hope it will as the other guys recommended.

I ran the program that i downloaded. once i said YES it ran and restarted automatically. it was very fast.

This issue (sleep/shutdown after 3 hours)has been fixed.I tested my laptop turning it on for 12 hours. it shuts down completely!!
I suffered from this issue for several months with editing SSDT DSDT and it couldn't be eliminated. I searched for various info how to fix and even I found the FIRMWARE I couldn't find it using DOS and EFI as the guys from posts above recommended. NOW if you guys have this problem

VISIT this https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...ptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=FW&DCP=DNDTAG

and look for firmware , download Intel Haswell ME FW v9.5.55.1948. IT WORKS WITH ALL HASWELL from i3 to i7.

CONFIRMED IT WORKS!

Last edited:
Guick note for those that don't have windows installed and aren't familiar with creating a DOS boot device: I just tested the EFI FwUpdLcl tool and it works like a charm through the Clover EFI shell. To use it:
  1. Drop FwUpdLcl.efi somewhere on your EFI partition
  2. Reboot and select Shell in Clover
  3. Navigate to FwUpdLcl.efi in the EFI shell (it works similar to DOS)
  4. Type "FwUpdLcl.efi <parameters>"

View attachment 138335
EFI FwUpdLcl tool gives version number, but it doesn't install firmware. It gave error: 'firmware update not initiated due to file open or read failure'. You didn't actually flash the firmware eh? Bootable DOS worked though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back