Contribute
Register

Laptop won't sleep/shutdown after a few hours of uptime

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbo

After a few days of testing, I discovered some major issues with this fix. It breaks HTML5 videos in Safari: you can hear the audio but you don't see anything. Other browsers still work fine though, which I did for a while. Then I noticed the patch also breaks QuickTime's ability to play videos. VLC still works, but it takes a long time to load the video. Bootup also seems faster without the fix but I didn't time it. Looks like we need a real patch after all :p. I have a BIOS update available I'll try later to see if it fixes it.

Thanks for the feedback JVital. I noticed the same issue with vlc, but for me it's only when starting vlc after sleeping. There's something that is waiting for a timeout (it beachballs for 30s, always the same time), then vlc works fine as long as it's not completely closed (alt-q). I can play/stop etc as many videos as I want as long as I don't close it. I don't use safari or quicktime, but I saw some other threads reporting issues with HTML5/flash. Did you try without the patch to see if it works fine?

In any case, it is definitely not a good fix. Unfortunately since there is no way to log anything in osx, I have no idea what the actual issue is. If the intel guys update the kernel bug, I'll try to see if a better fix can be cooked up for osx.

For anyone else reading this, disabling intel MEI support as posted in the thread linked above is not a great solution by any means. It should only be a last ditch solution if nothing else works to fix intermittent sleep issues.

Motherboard
Lenovo U310
CPU
i5-3317
Graphics
intel HD 4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the feedback JVital. I noticed the same issue with vlc, but for me it's only when starting vlc after sleeping. There's something that is waiting for a timeout (it beachballs for 30s, always the same time), then vlc works fine as long as it's not completely closed (alt-q). I can play/stop etc as many videos as I want as long as I don't close it. I don't use safari or quicktime, but I saw some other threads reporting issues with HTML5/flash. Did you try without the patch to see if it works fine?

In any case, it is definitely not a good fix. Unfortunately since there is no way to log anything in osx, I have no idea what the actual issue is. If the intel guys update the kernel bug, I'll try to see if a better fix can be cooked up for osx.

For anyone else reading this, disabling intel MEI support as posted in the thread linked above is not a great solution by any means. It should only be a last ditch solution if nothing else works to fix intermittent sleep issues.

I 'think' I have the same problem on my haswell laptop. will keep an eye on this thread for further developments.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
not sure I follow. wasn't it an intel MEI issue?

Lots of stuff can go wrong when you have a system with an unsupported graphics device, with only partially complete patches to account for it (eg. HD4400/HD4600).

As always, implementing the current best practices before looking elsewhere is always a good idea.

Motherboard
Lenovo U310
CPU
i5-3317
Graphics
intel HD 4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Lots of stuff can go wrong when you have a system with an unsupported graphics device, with only partially complete patches to account for it (eg. HD4400/HD4600).

As always, implementing the current best practices before looking elsewhere is always a good idea.

after reading the OP again, I realize my problem is slightly different. For me, it is only after sleeping for a long period (over 2 hours or so, didn't really test), it wouldn't wake up. And I think it only happens when it's plugged in.

Also, after putting in the fakepciid kexts, it still happens (still testing).

A couple of times during reboot, during boot up one second after I see the apple logo, the screen would go dim. after a couple of forced reboots, I realize, it's just the screen. if I wait a couple of seconds to let it boot up and hit brightness keys, it will brighten.
I booted without cache and it resolved it.

Question - should pciid and 4400_4600 kexts be installed in S/L/E or can I just put it in clover/kexts?
Right now I have all non apple kexts in clover/kexts.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
after reading the OP again, I realize my problem is slightly different. For me, it is only after sleeping for a long period (over 2 hours or so, didn't really test), it wouldn't wake up. And I think it only happens when it's plugged in.

Also, after putting in the fakepciid kexts, it still happens (still testing).

A couple of times during reboot, during boot up one second after I see the apple logo, the screen would go dim. after a couple of forced reboots, I realize, it's just the screen. if I wait a couple of seconds to let it boot up and hit brightness keys, it will brighten.
I booted without cache and it resolved it.

Question - should pciid and 4400_4600 kexts be installed in S/L/E or can I just put it in clover/kexts?
Right now I have all non apple kexts in clover/kexts.

Just a guess... the failure after "sleep for more than 2 hours" is related to darkwake and the DSNresponder task that wakes the laptop periodically...

If you find a the steps to reproduce the zero brightness problem, let me know.

The FakePCIID kexts work from either location.

Motherboard
Acer Aspire E1-572-6870
CPU
Intel i5 5200U
Graphics
Intel HD 4400
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Rehabman/everyone else reading this:

I moved to FakePCIID so I could update to 10.10.2 and still have working graphics. While it works great, it doesn't fix this issue :p. The wait for a fix continues haha

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Rehabman/everyone else reading this:

I moved to FakePCIID so I could update to 10.10.2 and still have working graphics. While it works great, it doesn't fix this issue :p. The wait for a fix continues haha

I don't think anyone expected it would.

vbo

JVital: I wrote a new patch below: instead of preventing the ME driver from starting, this one prevents the driver from sending any messages to the intel ME. It solves the sleep/shutdown issues without any of the side effects from the previous patch (i.e. some applications taking a long time to start after sleep). Let me know if it works for you too.
Code:
<dict>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>Prevent ME driver from writing to ME</string>
	<key>Find</key>
	<string>84C90F84BC0100004489F1</string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<string>84C9E9BD010000904489F1</string>
</dict>

Status