Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
2x GTX 970
I have a MSI GP60 2PE and it has a bar across the top with various buttons, both the eject button as well as the power button do not do anything in macOS Sierra... The eject button works with the SmartTouchpad kext. It doesn't work with the OSXPS2Voodoo kext. The power button isn't recognized with either kext. I have no idea why it isn't working, any help would be appreciated!

I have a MSI GP60 2PE and it has a bar across the top with various buttons, both the eject button as well as the power button do not do anything in macOS Sierra... The eject button works with the SmartTouchpad kext. It doesn't work with the OSXPS2Voodoo kext. The power button isn't recognized with either kext. I have no idea why it isn't working, any help would be appreciated!

What does the power button do on Windows?
What does the eject button do on Windows?
Show photo.
Explain what you'd like these buttons to do.
What codes do they generate in the system.log with the debug kext?

What does the power button do on Windows?
What does the eject button do on Windows?
Show photo.
Explain what you'd like these buttons to do.
What codes do they generate in the system.log with the debug kext?

I attached a picture of the buttons... I want the power button to be recognized and gimme the menu with the shutdown options... as of right now the only thing it does it a hard shutdown, after holding it down for 8+ seconds. On my Windows install all the buttons work exactly as intended. I will run the debug ACPI kext and post those.

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 736
I attached a picture of the buttons... I want the power button to be recognized and gimme the menu with the shutdown options...

Power button by default does sleep with a short hold/press. It does nothing with a quick press (just as on a real Mac).
If you want the menu, press Ctrl while pressing the power button.

as of right now the only thing it does it a hard shutdown, after holding it down for 8+ seconds.

As should be expected with a very long press (it is hardware initiated forced power off).

On my Windows install all the buttons work exactly as intended.

Microsoft and Apple have made different decisions regarding the functionality of the power button.

As should be expected with a very long press (it is hardware initiated forced power off).

I understand but if I press it for a few seconds nothing happens... the only function that works is a forced shutdown. The assumption I'm making is that a hard reset is handled by a low level system rather than that OS... where as the OS options aren't recognizing a key press at all. It may be worth noting that all the buttons in between the power and eject buttons mute the volume. Leading me to think that something isn't mapped correctly.

I understand but if I press it for a few seconds nothing happens... the only function that works is a forced shutdown. The assumption I'm making is that a hard reset is handled by a low level system rather than that OS... where as the OS options aren't recognizing a key press at all. It may be worth noting that all the buttons in between the power and eject buttons mute the volume. Leading me to think that something isn't mapped correctly.

It is probably an ACPI issue. Did you patch ACPI as per guide?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Did you implement power management?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

Also, you should use the debug VoodooPS2Controller.kext to see what codes they are generating (refer to your kernel log as you press the keys).

Also, you should use the debug VoodooPS2Controller.kext to see what codes they are generating (refer to your kernel log as you press the keys).

Well I tried using the VoodooPS2Controller with debug, and it doesn't recognize the power button as a button in the System Log... that being said I assume I'll have to patch the DSDT to fix the power button but how would I get the system power button to trigger the event in macOS? Also how would I be able to assign functions to the other keys that do return a valid value?

Well I tried using the VoodooPS2Controller with debug, and it doesn't recognize the power button as a button in the System Log... that being said I assume I'll have to patch the DSDT to fix the power button but how would I get the system power button to trigger the event in macOS? Also how would I be able to assign functions to the other keys that do return a valid value?

Did you verify that other keys are generating a log? (eg. to verify that you're looking at the logs correctly).

Note: The power button is generally not handled via PS2... It is handled (special case) in ACPI.

Did you verify that other keys are generating a log? (eg. to verify that you're looking at the logs correctly).

Yes the keyboard as a whole works fine... however the top row of buttons does absolutely nothing as is... at least with the other kext (SmartTouch) I could use the cd eject button.

Note: The power button is generally not handled via PS2... It is handled (special case) in ACPI.

Within the DSDT what would I put after "Device (PWRB)"?

Yes the keyboard as a whole works fine...

I was not asking about the keyboard itself. I was asking about the logs when you press each key.

Within the DSDT what would I put after "Device (PWRB)"?

Generally, you do not need to change anything there.
Did you patch ACPI as per guide?
Did you implement power management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back