Contribute
Register

Laptop Compatibility

please update your hardware profile as per rules

AMD not supported

Hi have 3 computers 1 mac 1 AMD and the laptop

in the laptop i want to install mac os i live the model and the intel chip

I have been the (mostly) happy owner of a 2011 17" MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM, until a few weeks ago when I caught the GPU issue that's been plaguing MBP made around the same time. Long story short: Because I'm in California Apple will still fix it, but it would cost me over $600 to fix a 6 year old computer without correcting the defect, leaving it susceptible to a repeat performance. I'd consider that throwing good money after bad.

Honestly, I'd like another MacBook Pro, and don't mind paying a premium for the privilege, but I don't like a single laptop that Apple currently makes. I do a lot of virtualization, so if I want something to last me more than 2 years, expandability to 64GB is a must, and the idea of system RAM and the SSD soldered down makes me almost ill. So I'm trying to explore what non-Apple hardware might be a viable alternative.

I've done the OSX86 thing on a now-antique 4GB HP before, around the time of OS X Leopard, and found it primarily a headache. While I was using it, I ended up lugging around a mini USB hub with my Bluetooth, WiFi and audio adapter jangling from my USB port. This was not something I consider viable.

I'm taking for granted that I'll need a PS2 kext to handle my mouse and trackpad, but I'd like to stick to Apple supported chipsets and peripherals as much as possible, so I don't need to carry a "compatibility keychain" with me everywhere I go.

Can any of you suggest a laptop in the $2-3.5k range that meets the following specs:

MUST HAVES:

• Expandable to at least 64GB replaceable SODIMM RAM
  • Replaceable SATA drive. (Bonus points if a 2TB SSD is included)
  • 8+ CPU cores
  • Fully supported modern GPU with Metal compatibility, and accelerated video decoding.
  • Built-in peripherals (except PS2 keyboard & track pad) all compatible with High Sierra out of the box, including at least:
    • Bluetooth >= 5
    • WiFi >= 802.11ac
    • audio (bonus: surround sound)
    • webcam
    • bonus: SD Card reader
    • bonus: fingerprint scanner (not holding my breath)
  • 15"-19" HiDPI screen.

Nice to have:

• Rugged durable body... not expecting "aluminum unibody", but I appreciate something well built.
  • BluRay burner
  • 8+ hour battery life (bonus: removable battery)
  • 2nd drive bay for Time Machine backup drive.
  • pie in the sky: intigrated Wacom digitizer tablet with place to hold stylus when not in use.

I get that most people here are trying to run OSX86 on the machine they already have, or get it running on a bargain laptop. What laptop can I get if I truly want an awesome purpose-built Mac laptop, and Apple doesn't make what I want? I won't say money is no object, but I don't mind paying for a quality product.

All advice appreciated?

Last edited:
Hello dear friends. I want to ask a question if my laptop okay for hackintosh(and which version) or not. I have read the first post but I couldnt make it.

My pc is a ASUS ZENBOOK UX42VS-W3028H

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-3317U Dual Core
GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 640
RAM : 6 GB 1600 Mhz

Thanks for comments.

I need help I have a hp envy notebook - 17-s043cl (touch) is this hackintosh compatible??

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:
"Q. What are typical "Problem Reporting" files?"

Hp pavilion g6
i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50 GHz
6 GB DDR3 ram
on board graphics intel HD4000
which step i have to use for successful installation?

Hp pavilion g6
i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50 GHz
6 GB DDR3 ram
on board graphics intel HD4000
which step i have to use for successful installation?

Read post #581.

Hello,
I'm sorry for my bad English.
Would you help me to find out if my laptop can be installed Hatsikintosh.
Specifications
HP Pavilion 15-bc005nu
CPU:
Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz 42 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM:
8GB (2x4GB)
Motherboard:
HP 820D (U3E1)
Graphics:
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 530 (HP)