Contribute
Register

Laptop Compatibility

what wifi card do you have.. out of interest
Hi, at the moment I use a Broadcom 4352 (I used brmc4360 also, but linux does not like that one) for this laptop, but original was Intel 8265NGW. I need to change back to that if I upgrade to Sonoma I suppose, or possible try the oclp patch. Maybe it will work. 4352 had much better reception than the Intel and I also like the possibility of airdrop.

Hi, at the moment I use a Broadcom 4352 (I used brmc4360 also, but linux does not like that one) for this laptop, but original was Intel 8265NGW. I need to change back to that if I upgrade to Sonoma I suppose, or possible try the oclp patch. Maybe it will work. 4352 had much better reception than the Intel and I also like the possibility of airdrop.
yes, broadcom has been dropped, but intel can work

yes, broadcom has been dropped, but intel can work
Hi, Is there a Intel wificard that is better than the others? I suppose there are different makers of Intel cards? I am quite happy how this HP 830 Elitebook (Kaby Lake) handles smbios 15.4 even if it is wrong cpu. Originally I set it up to work as 14.1 model, only changed the smbios to see if it will take on Sonoma. Is there a downside of this?

Edit: Updated to Sonoma 14.0 today. Had to use usb stick for install. Used SMBIOS 15.4 (HP Elitebook 830 in profile) and also used OCLP 1.0 to patch a Broadcom 4352 following this guide https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/pull/1077#issuecomment-1646934494. Everything seems to work just fine.

Last edited:
Hi, Is there a Intel wificard that is better than the others? I suppose there are different makers of Intel cards? I am quite happy how this HP 830 Elitebook (Kaby Lake) handles smbios 15.4 even if it is wrong cpu. Originally I set it up to work as 14.1 model, only changed the smbios to see if it will take on Sonoma. Is there a downside of this?

Edit: Updated to Sonoma 14.0 today. Had to use usb stick for install. Used SMBIOS 15.4 (HP Elitebook 830 in profile) and also used OCLP 1.0 to patch a Broadcom 4352 following this guide https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/pull/1077#issuecomment-1646934494. Everything seems to work just fine.
Did you use the same serials or generated new?
If you generated new serials, would this compromise our appleids somehow? Should I remove old macbook entry from my apple account and add this one later or is it safe to left previous device there and add another one?

Did you use the same serials or generated new?
If you generated new serials, would this compromise our appleids somehow? Should I remove old macbook entry from my apple account and add this one later or is it safe to left previous device there and add another one?
Hi, you have to generate new id if you change smbios. You do not need to remove a already working smbios, just log out from that id for a while. Then you can try something else, just keep things apart. I just returned to Ventura on one machine that I tried for Sonoma. Still to many hickups, but no problems to return.

@tonymacx86 @trs96
I am wondering if anyone here has done iOS Development on a hackintosh. I am thinking of trying this but would love to know any thoughts.

Secondly, I have gone through the laptop compatibility posts and I know that getting a laptop to 100% is very difficult. I have read that Intel Series CPU and GPU are supported. (up to 10th Gen)

Could you please recommend me some laptops that are easy to Hackintosh and most of the things would work? My main use would be to do iOS Development.

Here are some models that I have gathered.

1. HP Elitebook 840 G6

2. HP PROBOOK 450 G6

3. HP Probook 450 G5 with an i7-8550U CPU.

Should I pick any from the above list or would you suggest some other models? I am targeting Sonoma and it should be a budget-friendly laptop.

I had successfully hackintoshed an HP 8300 Desktop in the past and this would be my first hackintosh laptop.

I had also read on this site that getting a laptop to Hackintosh is difficult unless it has a well-written guide. Do we have any guides here for laptops?

Thanks.

@Feartech
Yes, I have already checked this and the 'Sonoma Laptop support' Guide. Most of the posts in Sonoma laptop support are about issues or other discussions. A very few are about success. So I am supposed to check who succeeded with their build and follow along?

I have observed that there are lots of well-written guides for desktops (in the Golden builds or user builds section). I had followed a guide by trs96 for hp 8300 in past. Do we have something similar for laptops?

I have found this one only for Sonoma:

Any other hints?

@Feartech
Yes, I have already checked this and the 'Sonoma Laptop support' Guide. Most of the posts in Sonoma laptop support are about issues or other discussions. A very few are about success. So I am supposed to check who succeeded with their build and follow along?

I have observed that there are lots of well-written guides for desktops (in the Golden builds or user builds section). I had followed a guide by trs96 for hp 8300 in past. Do we have something similar for laptops?

I have found this one only for Sonoma:

Any other hints?
find a 10th gen Intel laptop and hack it :)

some have had some success with AMD ones, not tried myself though

Back