Contribute
Register

Laggy / unresponsive browser resizing Asus Z170 / Nvidia GTX 1080 running High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z270
CPU
I7
Graphics
I’ve recently put together my first Hackintosh. It’s running well with all hardware working quite well. However, although native GUI animations work buttery smooth, browser resizing, especially scaling of images looks like it’s running on a 2001 iMac. Somewhat frustrating considering GPU and CPU benchmarks are to be expected for the hardware.

Check out the mad jitter

To me, it looks like a memory buffering issue, but who am I to say. Here are all the hardware and kext details for one of you geniuses to look at. I've also attached my config.plist.

---------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: i7-7700 Kaby Lake, 3.6GHz (no overclocking)
MB: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming (with all advised bios settings)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 8GB (Web drivers 378.10.10.10.25.103)
HDD: Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
RAM: Vengeance 3200MHz, 2 x 8GB

Heaven: 2617
Valley: 3625
Cinebench GPU: 95.52
Cinebench CPU: 844

Kexts found in kexts/other:
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

---------------------------------------------------------------

Any tests you can think of that would help decipher the specific problem? Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. This nerd will be up all night awaiting a response so I can sleep easy knowing my software is doing my hardware justice (outside of Windows).

UPDATE:
Updated config.plist attached thanks to the advice of @P1LGRIM. Still unresolved however.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
If you have Nvidia graphics why are you injecting Intel in your config.plist ?
Inject Kexts should be Detect not Yes.

BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - Set PEG as Primary

If you have Nvidia graphics why are you injecting Intel in your config.plist ?
Inject Kexts should be Detect not Yes.

BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - Set PEG as Primary

Yes, good point. Took out the Intel injection and changed the inject kexts as well as checked the bios. Seems that none of these were the culprit.

Yes, good point. Took out the Intel injection and changed the inject kexts as well as checked the bios. Seems that none of these were the culprit.
This thread may help.

Last edited:
are you convinced this is a GPU issue? Could it possibly be a memory issue?
No, it just seemed like the most likely candidate.
Try this config.plist and see if there is any difference :

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 258
Hi
I have a similar build and the exact same issue.
Benjamin's solution on this thread helped quite well https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-update-simple-way-to-install-nvidia-web-drivers.244987/
yet.... it's still (not awfully) laggy, the build is indeed fully working but the overall osX experience i so depreciated...
and it is killing me haha

no one with a fix ?

Thanks, I tried this at some point as well. It did improve but I still didn't consider the issue fixed to my standard. On the plus side, I just ran the same tests on a 2017 MacBook Pro i7 with a Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB and it looked pretty similar. Given, this isn't the exact same hardware, but it might indicate we're nitpicking.

I also posted on ****** and got some interesting responses. https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/7yfv7p/in_your_opinion_does_macos_do_justice_to_your/

Here's a direct link to a video of one redditor's hackintosh running similar hardware but 1080p and with no CUDA. So, we know it's possible to get better results. https://streamable.com/ip3oi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back