Contribute
Register

Laggy 5700 XT after update to 10.15.4 - pls. help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep us posted. My CPU is quite different from yours but I am curious to see if you can get it working. It might just be that a clover update will fix it. What about installing an older version of clover? Say 5103? I had to install 5107 in order to update to 10.15.4 or it would get stuck after booting to the install partition.

The funny thing is that I have 5107 installed now with 10.15.3 and everything is working fine. I would like to update to 10.15.4 but with the lag like that its completely unusable.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on :)

I figured out a quick fix. Not a permanent fix. After logging into the computer I force it to go to sleep. When I wake it, my CPU clocks all go back to normal (well, not fully normal, as they only go to 16X as a low state). I'll have to poke a bit more why the P States all of a sudden are acting weird. Somehow linked to sleep mode I guess. Over 8 years of running this machine and never had this problem. Just ran heaven benchmark and it is back up to 60 FPS (from 5-15 FPS). I am thinking I may need to finally make the SSDT I have been dreading to make :( ...

I figured out a quick fix. Not a permanent fix. After logging into the computer I force it to go to sleep. When I wake it, my CPU clocks all go back to normal (well, not fully normal, as they only go to 16X as a low state). I'll have to poke a bit more why the P States all of a sudden are acting weird. Somehow linked to sleep mode I guess. Over 8 years of running this machine and never had this problem. Just ran heaven benchmark and it is back up to 60 FPS (from 5-15 FPS). I am thinking I may need to finally make the SSDT I have been dreading to make :( ...

My 3770k has got a SSDT, I have the same problem witch stock and OC values. If related to CPU, why SMBIOS 14,2 solved the problem ? Why not many people are complaining about this problem ?

EDIT : on my 7700K (OC to 4,8Ghz with only plugin type=1) , SMBIOS iMacpro1,1 + iMac18,3 is working with RX 5700 XT.

Last edited:
My 3770k has got a SSDT, I have the same problem witch stock and OC values. If related to CPU, why SMBIOS 14,2 solved the problem ? Why not many people are complaining about this problem ?

EDIT : on my 7700K (OC to 4,8Ghz with only plugin type=1) , SMBIOS iMacpro1,1 + iMac18,3 is working with RX 5700 XT.

I just generated an SSDT with ssdtPRGen. Cleaned up my config a little. I now boot and it is running incredibly fast again. my frequencies are all up to x44 (overclocked). The problem I am having now is that they don't step down. they always hover at x35 - x44. I read somewhere someone having success long ago with flashing the bios over again. I am running a beta bios on the z77x-ud5h that has the intel cpu exploits patched. I might go down a step to an old bios. see if that helps without having to run the ssdt. I have never had to use an ssdt in all 8 year i have been running this machine. I am running the iMacpro1,1 SMBIOS with my i3770k only because the 5700 XT requires it. Technically this CPU is not supported with this hardware configuration. Previous to getting this graphics card I was running the iMac13,2 SMBIOS because that cpu was from that era of imac's. You are right, funny that no one else is mentioning this issue considering it was just working before this update.

I just generated an SSDT with ssdtPRGen. Cleaned up my config a little. I now boot and it is running incredibly fast again. my frequencies are all up to x44 (overclocked). The problem I am having now is that they don't step down. they always hover at x35 - x44. I read somewhere someone having success long ago with flashing the bios over again. I am running a beta bios on the z77x-ud5h that has the intel cpu exploits patched. I might go down a step to an old bios. see if that helps without having to run the ssdt. I have never had to use an ssdt in all 8 year i have been running this machine. I am running the iMacpro1,1 SMBIOS with my i3770k only because the 5700 XT requires it. Technically this CPU is not supported with this hardware configuration. Previous to getting this graphics card I was running the iMac13,2 SMBIOS because that cpu was from that era of imac's. You are right, funny that no one else is mentioning this issue considering it was just working before this update.
Interesting. I dont understand why they needed to touch the CPU frequency? Why aren't more people having the same issue? Iy makes no sense that this isn't more widespread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back