Geforce
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
With stagnating single core performance at 1749 and only 11 542 in multicore,
Whereas Alder lake is at 1834 and 17370 not overclocked, and top of the chart 2320 / 21319 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

Not the intel camp is much more powerful. I was to ditch Hackintosh, but now it's even more useful. I just hope we'll have support from the awesome hackintosh community for the new AMD and Intel chips

Whereas Alder lake is at 1834 and 17370 not overclocked, and top of the chart 2320 / 21319 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

Not the intel camp is much more powerful. I was to ditch Hackintosh, but now it's even more useful. I just hope we'll have support from the awesome hackintosh community for the new AMD and Intel chips

If you need more multicore performance, you'll have to wait for Apple to release a desktop class CPU.

M1 Max was designed for laptops.

No, I need more single core perfs, I don't care at all about multicore past 4 cores
and unfortunately, it seems that their desktop class cpu, will jsut have have more core, and that the machine using it will be at leats 4k$

No, I need more single core perfs, I don't care at all about multicore past 4 cores
and unfortunately, it seems that their desktop class cpu, will jsut have have more core, and that the machine using it will be at leats 4k$
Thank you for doing the work to figure this out. So, how are we going to beat Apple moving into the future as it keeps trying to shuck off the Hackintosh community, without adding any new real value except the operating system itself, which, admittedly, is stellar.

But paying way beyond top dollar for crappy hardware, even if it is to run a stellar operating system, is just too infuriating to contemplate.

If you need more multicore performance, you'll have to wait for Apple to release a desktop class CPU.
What goes into the next Mac Pro will probably be called M2 Max, have no efficiency cores and be using the 3nm process ? Not exactly sure on that. The problem I see with comparing GeekBench scores between M1, Intel and AMD cpus is that Intel and AMD are not optimized to work with Mac compatible software. So just looking at scores is very misleading and leads to false conclusions. In real world usage running macOS Monterey M1 Max will perform much better than Intel or AMDs mega core chips.

Last edited:
What goes into the next Mac Pro will probably be called M2 Max, have no efficiency cores and be using the 3nm process ? Not exactly sure on that. The problem I see with comparing GeekBench scores between M1, Intel and AMD cpus is that Intel and AMD are not optimized to work with Mac compatible software. So just looking at scores is very misleading and leads to false conclusions. In real world usage M1 Max will perform much better than Intel or AMDs mega core chips.

I think there will still be at least two high efficiency cores for the "always on" feature.

He's comparing desktop Intel and AMD CPUs vs laptop Apple SoCs...

Also, macOS takes advantage of all the co-processors found on Apple Silicon and not available on those Intel and AMD CPUs such as the Neural Engine and the ProRes encoders.

Yes, let's wait to see the desktop version. Is there a potential annoucement date?

Last edited:
Yes I'm comparing Laptop to Desktop, because for me what matters is top single-core performance.
And this is a relevant comparison because last year when M1 came out it was much faster, single-core, than any PC available whichever the form or the price.

So last year we got the best single-core results on the planet, in a laptop form factor, revolutionary.
But now, we got, on their new model, up to 30% slower single core. So I call this stagnation.

Also, apparently, Apple is not willing to create a dedicated core architecture for desktop, and that's understandable since they sell only a fraction in desktops.
So the plan seems to be just add more cores. Which means we'll only get one single-core performance for a generation.

Apple could clock desktop cpus higher, but it won't for marketing reasons.

So my only hope is that M2 would improve this single-core, but It will be much more difficult to get a M1 like gap, cause everybody intel / AMD are also going to 3nm process.
one hope is that implement ARM 9 architecture we could get a nice 30%, but that + 30% is already available on latest PCs.

Therefore, hackintoshes will remain interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back