CPU
i5-4590
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This may be a dumb question... I know that L3 cache boosts the performance of and backs up L1 & L2, but how important would it be for an operating system to function? For example, upgrading to an OS that states it needs 8MB and only having a 6MB L3 cache?

Long story short, I've inherited a hackintosh Early 2008 MacPro build running Yosemite and wondering how far I can update the OS before needing to install a new processor. The hardware I have matches everything, except the L3, up to a MacPro Mid 2010's running Sierra.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This may be a dumb question... I know that L3 cache boosts the performance of and backs up L1 & L2, but how important would it be for an operating system to function? For example, upgrading to an OS that states it needs 8MB and only having a 6MB L3 cache?

Long story short, I've inherited a hackintosh Early 2008 MacPro build running Yosemite and wondering how far I can update the OS before needing to install a new processor. The hardware I have matches everything, except the L3, up to a MacPro Mid 2010's running Sierra.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is that hackintosh the one listed in your Personal Details? What is the exact model of the CPU?

If so, that system should run all versions of MacOS from Yosemite up to Catalina.

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4590
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It is and the chip is the i5-4590 C, which is a bit confusing to me, because the chip on the motherboards website claims that that chip is a 3.3GHz but my systems is saying its a 3.7GHz... My assumption is that it's being overclocked and reporting that frequency instead? Anyway thank you for the reply, this should still be able to upgrade to Catalina?

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It is and the chip is the i5-4590 C, which is a bit confusing to me, because the chip on the motherboards website claims that that chip is a 3.3GHz but my systems is saying its a 3.7GHz... My assumption is that it's being overclocked and reporting that frequency instead? Anyway thank you for the reply, this should still be able to upgrade to Catalina?

You have a Core i5 4590 and the CPU is being automatically "overclocked" to 3.7 GHz as this is an Intel CPU feature called "Turbo Boost". It is normal.

And yes, your system should be compatible with MacOS Catalina.