Contribute
Register

kramz - Ruby Build - Sierra, Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5, i5-6600K 3.5ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice build!

I'm currently researching my first hackintosh and I was coincidentally looking at this exact case, but didn't find any high-quality reviews of it. I did see a video review (better than average video quality, but in French) and I saw some forum complaints (seemingly minor ones) about airflow, but nothing that gave me confidence to either buy or move along to something else.

So @kramz, thanks for spending the time to put this build together! Your notes about SSD placement are of particular interest. If you have a moment, please comment, with your beautiful new case in it's current configuration..
1) Are you satisfied with cpu temps at idle/load?
2) Do you think you'd be able to overclock your CPU comfortably and without changing your cooling solutions?
3) Do you have any regrets with the case, beyond the already-mentioned PSU length concern; Anything you wish you'd known prior to buying it?

Lastly, I'd like to humbly request pictures of your build, if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks again, and enjoy your new hack!

Nice build!

I'm currently researching my first hackintosh and I was coincidentally looking at this exact case, but didn't find any high-quality reviews of it. I did see a video review (better than average video quality, but in French) and I saw some forum complaints (seemingly minor ones) about airflow, but nothing that gave me confidence to either buy or move along to something else.

So @kramz, thanks for spending the time to put this build together! Your notes about SSD placement are of particular interest. If you have a moment, please comment, with your beautiful new case in it's current configuration..
2) Do you think you'd be able to overclock your CPU comfortably and without changing your cooling solutions?
3) Do you have any regrets with the case, beyond the already-mentioned PSU length concern; Anything you wish you'd known prior to buying it?

Lastly, I'd like to humbly request pictures of your build, if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks again, and enjoy your new hack!

@stilgarfifrawi Thank you for "nice build". The case does actually look as good as the promo pic.

Temps as reported by HWMonitor match tech reviews of this CPU cooler. With shade Outside Air Temps (OAT) of 30°C HWMonitor reports idle CPU temps typically of 36°C. Transcoding a 900mb movie with Handbrake pushes CPU temps to 54°C.

At the same OAT, full screen 2560x1440 video typically results in GPU temps of 45°C. Base temp in normal use is typically 40°C.

I am using the case fans as extractor fans as per the build description with the CPU cooler fan pointed at the rear 120mm extractor fan. One mod I have made post build is to replace the fine 1mm hole fan mesh grilles with a 2.2mm hole mesh. This is totally unscientific, however it does feel like there is a better airflow with the wider hole mesh.

At this point I am entirely happy with case air flow. I did initially wonder about the PSU exhausting internally to the top of the case but this doesn’t seem to be a concern in reality.

I wont know for sure until I do, but am believing a mild OC is not an issue based on the CPU cooler performance in tech test reports. There is also an option to add a second PSU fan (push/pull). The case fans are extracting case heat satisfactorily with a single GPU.

I’d buy the case again without any hesitation. Cons are that only one side is removable (a glass lift off panel, easily removed). Cable management was largely pushing cables up the space between the case front and the PSU. The USB and other front panel cables are much longer than required, my assumption is that it’s the same cable length for all the Jonsbo cases. With a little care it all fits OK.

The only unexpected item was that the vertical stand of the case 2.5" three tray drive holder is riveted to the case bottom so its not quite "easily" removed. I removed the horizontal trays and attached the 2.5 Spinner HD to the vertical stand, with the drive on its long edge. It did not obstruct the GPU in that position. Three small interconnected cable ties keep it snugly affixed, not elegant but easily changed. As mentioned in the build I was keeping the case bottom clear for extra fans if needed. Fixing fans to the case floor will require a "creative solution" as there are no mounting points. "Sugru" to the rescue perhaps. :).

Will make some pics and post in the next week.

I've just install Mac OS Sierra on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5, i5 6600K, everything works except the 2nd NIC does not work and I have not try HDMI Audio yet. I'll test everything out next few days

Attachments

• 452530_829853_01_front_mini.jpg
    452530_829853_01_front_mini.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 170
i've tried that, on a fresh reboot it sees my headphones when they get plugged into the front and it switches over but after sleep it does not. hmm

@imablackhat have worked at "losing" my sound in various ways. On rare occasions waking from sleep when last set to HDMI sound output results in no sound. Sending to sleep again to the point where the monitor shows "no signal" and then waking it again has returned working sound. Not perfect, but "good enough" for me.

I ended up fixing my sound. It works on wake from sleep, and front port detection works as well. I do use DisplayPort for signal to video. My method may work for you if you want it let me know.

Awesome! I have the same mobo running El Cap, without discrete graphics card. I'll give sierra a go when I get a chance and throw in a graphics card to solve the annoying sleep/wake problem.

Followed this guide (using last Sierra available)

Everything works fine (and fast, with nVidia Web Driver), except one thing: I can't use two monitors (the second one isn't detected).
Both monitors are similar (Samsung T27B350 and T27C310). Both work just fine (but not both).
It seems only one DVI port is working (HDMI is not, the second DVI (that without Analog pins) also is not).
I don't have DP adaptors, so, can't test this.

Tried Mac 14,1, 14,2 and 17,1.
Also tried the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy KextsToPatch.

Can anyone help me? I am this close to ditch Windows forever =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back