Contribute
Register

KP after Chimera Update on SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
ed

As to your post w several OSX version on a HDD ... this has been one of my concerns.

Do to SL age and using older versions of Chimera - the advancements in Chimera 3 and 4 have left SL in the Dust so to speak.

Suggest you use a two Drive method for this situation. And older Drive for SL and make the new Drive for Mav or Yos...

ed

this is how I do mine.. SL to me is my fav OSX and I always have to on its own HDD...

As for others like Mavericks and Yosemite they can go on another drive w 2 or more partitions. Using CHimera 4 etc.

Of course I have it (SL ) on systems that can support it.... chipsets that were intended for it...

Thanks for this Totenkopf, it might be an option...

You might get in to your Yosemite installation by booting to your Installation flash drive first. This should bring up all you installation options. Long term Totenkopf4 is correct.

The best solution is not to have both drives connected in the computer at the same time. Apple is also changing things with the OS. I suggest that you look to get something like this hot swap drive bay for HDDs:
http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=305&area=en

You can also get an anti static container for the unused drive for protection:
3.5 hdd anti static case

Thanks guys for all this information.
Yes SL is so far the best system that has run on my machine, I suppose also it is an older setup more designed for this system, I also use it as it is the only OS that support my old UAD dsp card with an old legacy PCI connection!
10.6.8 is my "music" system, and my girlfriend needs a newer system...

So should I install both system on a separate HD with different boot loaders?
What does happen if I keep both HD connected?

Yes SL is so far the best system that has run on my machine, I suppose also it is an older setup more designed for this system, I also use it as it is the only OS that support my old UAD dsp card with an old legacy PCI connection!

Good reasons for continuing with Snow Leopard for a little longer - certainly as long as everything continues to work.

Yes. There is no doubt about this. The Bootloader for Snow Leopard is not compatible with any other version of OS X. Avoid potential problems by keeping then separate.

I don't think that we know or understand everything about Yosemite as well as we would like to. There is a new file system called core storage. It would appear that it interferes with other installations on the same drive - but people with more that one drive are having problems and experiencing some strange effects too.

Stork has made a brief comment regarding the issue:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...00-no-graphics-card-needed-25.html#post916396

In addition to this if your installations use a SSDT or DSDT then there are known issues with having multiple installations connected in a single machine at the same time.

The world will not end tomorrow if you chose not to follow any of the options that I have given but most of the mods that are running Multiple OS versions or multiple test installations of a single version of OS X are using a similar product to the Silverstone *hot swap drive bay. Swapping over power and Sata cables inside a computer case between two drives is not a practical long term option that anyone will be bothered with.

*Obviously you cannot hot swap the OS disk with a machine powered on.

You would have boot conflicts no matter which you set as the default. I would suggest what I use ( I have Kingwin, but they don't seem to carry them on Newegg anymore). Try one (or both) of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007599%2050002177&IsNodeId=1&Description=hotswap%202.5%22&name=Rosewill&Order=BESTMATCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back