Contribute
Register

Known Hackintosh issues with Time Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
I am having a problem with my WD MyPassport drives when running Time Machine, they start off at a reasonable pace then slow right down to a crawl, total back up size is 1.1TB and my drives are 4 and 5TB respectively, and the back ups slow down to almost stationary after about 800 to 900GB. I am not having these issues with my WD Black 12TB drive. The main Catalina drive is a fresh install of a week ago. I have one another drive, an APFS drive with my Music library on it only and no OS. Both of these are included in the TM back up. I have excluded all external back up drives from TM in settings in case it tries to back up another back up drive when plugged in. I have tried booting into safe mode, performing first aid on all the drives, including the source drive, reindexing the mac, tried running Onyx on the main drive, tried erasing the back up drives to perform a fresh TM back up, disabled my Avast real time protection, disabled TM throttling, and nothing has really helped. The WD MyPassport drives used to be ok and one is only a year old. Is there some Hackintosh specific problem that might be causing this? Thanks.

Edit: Investigating drive formatting / cable issues. Two of my cables are 10-20% slower than the others, but besides that, I wiped the 5TB drive several times and tested it with BlackMagic and all was normal in both NTSC and HFS+ except one time I reformatted it with HFS+ it was 10x slower read and write consistently, so maybe I just had bad luck before (guess). I am trying the TM back up again with a tested working normally HFS+ format and cable combo and will see if it actually finishes or not...

Last edited:
Update: after reformatting the drive and testing it as working normally with Blackmagic the back up proceeded very quickly but slowly down to a crawl again at around 850GB of 1.1TB. Any ideas please?

Update 2: Reformatted drive several more times and finally completed the last 250GB of the TM back up in about 36 hours which isn't bad considering!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back