Contribute
Register

KNNSpeed's Build: DZ77RE-75K - Core i7-2600k - XFX 5670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I got Mavericks to install!! YAY!! :headbang:

This is what got me up and running:

1) Following the link below, EXCEPT, in the UniBeast section, when it states to format the USB drive as MBR ("Master Boot Record") in Disk Utility. Instead, I needed to format the stick as GPT ("GUID Partition Table"), or else UniBeast would throw an "Installation Failed" error. This was set in the little "Options" menu in the bottom left of Disk Utility's "Partition" section.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

2) When I first booted from the USB stick--which I had plugged into a blue USB port on the back--I found that I absolutely had to boot with the Intel HD Graphics set as primary in the UEFI, or else I'd get this when I tried to boot with my AMD 7970 (or with the UEFI set to auto, but then that's the same thing):
Boot0: GPT
Boot0: test
Boot0: test
Boot0: done_

3) When I got the Chimera screen for the first time after booting to the USB stick, I had to use "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" because otherwise the Mavericks installer displayed on a monitor connected to my HD 4000 (which at this point was only displaying half the screen and was having seizures when the installer showed up on it). While it seems counterintuitive considering that the new Chimera is supposed to use "GraphicsEnabler=No" for AMD cards, setting it to "Yes" forced the installer onto my AMD card so I could actually see it. Note that this would have been necessary on the first reboot after installation, too, although I didn't realize it at first since my Mountain Lion org.chameleon.Boot.plist already had "GraphicsEnabler" set to "Yes" in it.

4) On reboot after installation, I had a Kernel Panic! Joy! :crazy:
Solution: Use ONLY "UseKernelCache=No" at the Chimera screen right after installation. DO NOT USE -v!!! I know it sounds weird, but I think the way Mavericks loads some things now (behind our backs at the login screen) caused my screen to display a blinking cursor when I tried "-v UseKernelCache=No." Whatever the reason might've been, using "UseKernelCache=No" worked. :thumbup:

5) MultiBeast time! :D
Using MultiBeast 6.1.0 for Mavericks (after updating to 10.9.1 via Software Update):
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 10.44.02 PM.png

A couple really important things to note:
  • GraphicsEnabler=Yes is required for using both the HD 4000 and the Radeon 7970. Something got changed in Chimera (as evidenced by the Radeon's entry in System Information now being "Radeon HD 7970" instead of the old "Radeon HD 7xxx Series")
  • Shutdown doesn't work any more--I think it has something to do with FakeSMC, since it worked in the weird way it used to before I installed the kext. :banghead:
  • I FOUND A FIX FOR THE USB PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

To have all the USB ports work as they should, I needed to install this (making sure it got installed alone after everything else was installed and rebooted; when I tried to install this kext with all the other stuff my system froze):
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 10.49.22 PM.png
*I encountered a message saying it's an "unsigned" kext, but just clicking "continue" didn't seem to cause any issues.

YAAAAAAAAY!!!

I'm including my MultiBeast configuration file (minus the USB fix) since MultiBeast now allows for saving and loading configuration files:
View attachment MultiBeast610Config.mb

On another note, I also encountered a frequent issue when, after forcibly shutting off my hack, turning it back on would cause my slowest-activating monitor (incidentally it's my primary monitor) to tell me "No Signal." Easy fix; log in as normal on the other monitor that the login windows shows up on, and go to the "Display" preferences. Holding down ALT then changes the "Gather Windows" button to "Detect Displays," and clicking that springs the undetected display back to life.

Finally, the obligatory org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:
orgchameleon.png

EDIT: AMAZING NEWS! The HD 4000 can be set to use more than 64MB minimum in the UEFI!! (It looks like it can be given up to 1GB according to System Information, but I'm content leaving it at 512MB.) :D

Hi Guys,

I just started installing Mavericks using the way out KNN suggested in the last post.

I successfully installed Mavericks. I forgot to disable IVT in Bios initially.

But the Multibeast failed. I made ALL files to be visible on OSX from the terminal, but I still can't find the org.chameleon.boot.plist in the Extra Folder.

Also WIFI is not working....:thumbdown:. Rest all seems to be working fine.

Please help for WIFI and org.chameleon.boot.plist

KNN: Thanks a ton for the detailed instructions.

-Ram

Glad it helped--the reason the installation failed was because it couldn't put GraphicsEnabler=Yes in the plist. I forgot to mention that MultiBeast only generates one if you select certain options (none of which apply to this board). I attached an old org.chameleon.Boot.plist somewhere recently in this thread (I'm on my phone now and can't add attachments); put it in /Extra and modify it in TextEdit to suit your situation (meaning, you may need to remove Graphics Mode and AtiConfig).

For WiFi, check page 20 of this thread, in gldnbrwncouches's post.

KNN you are just awesome :thumbup:. I got everything fixed except the WIFI.

I downloaded driver from Ralink site and installed.
Restarted the system
Edited RT2870 Kext (Changed 1st entry of MSI --> idProduct to 14449)
Installed modified Kext using Kext Utility and also repaired permission and rebuilt cache
Shutdown-ed the system and disconnected the WIFI module
Restarted the system and booted to Mavericks. Then shutdown-ed again.
Connected WIFI Module and booted to Mavericks.

After these steps, could not find WLAN listed in the Network in System Preferences:(:cry:

Please suggest.

-Ram

With this wireless card, you don't use System Preferences.

You need to run the "Ralink Wireless Utility" in /Applications to activate WiFi each time you go into OS X. It's a stupidly cumbersome process, but then we have Ralink to blame for that.

Also, this is what I wrote about WiFi in the first post:
KNNSpeed said:
Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Module:
Now for the Wi-Fi card, there's a little bit more to do. Thanks to gldnbrwncouches on page 20 of this thread, there is now a working solution to get Wi-Fi out of the dongle included with the motherboard! (Bluetooth worked out of the box, by the way.)

gldnbrwncouches said:
Hey, I just built a similar Ivy Bridge version of this build on the same motherboard, excellent tips and nice build! I have also found a way to get the WiFi module for this board working as well! It uses an Ralink chipset and there are drivers for it available at the Ralink websitehttp://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...ort.php?sn=502 It's the top USB driver (USB(RT2870/RT2770/RT3X7X/RT537X)) and the only one that supports Mountain Lion. It asks for a name and e-mail before downloading but it will take anything in the field. :) Install the downloaded driver and utility, then restart.

If your build is like mine, then the System Information on OSX will list the WiFi + Bluetooth Module under the USB devices. It showed the 802.11 N WLAN but it wasn't working or recognized in the System Preferences -> Network pane. If you click on it, it shows the Product and Vendor (in this case MSI) ID's. After conversion of these ID's from hex to decimal, we get this:
Product ID: 0x3871 -> 14449
Vendor ID: 0xdb0 -> 3504

Open the RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext in System -> Library -> Extensions and find the MSI entries with vendor ID 3504 and change the first listing Product ID to "14449". No need to change the Vendor ID as it should be the same, please double check this or it will not work. Reinstall the kext with your preferred program, (I like Kext Utility or Kext Wizard) and make sure that you repair permissions and rebuild kext caches then shutdown, NOT restart. While shutdown, unplug the WiFi + Bluetooth module (I find it easiest to do this at the module itself rather than at the motherboard) then turn on and boot back into ML. Check to make sure your modified kext has been installed properly and then shutdown again. Plug the module back in and boot the computer back up. Your System Preferences -> Network should show a WLAN device now and the System Information will have a BSD name listed in the description as well. You can now use the Ralink Utility that installed with the driver to connect using WiFi!

Hope this works as well for others like it is for me. WiFi isn't necessary, but it's nice to have working. Also, unplugging the module after installing the kext, boot and shutdown, then plugging the module back in was crucial to get this to work for me. It didn't seem to want to just recognize it the way it did with the bluetooth.

One minor thing to note: When I did this after following it through to the letter, it didn't work. I had to actually reboot into safe mode (using -x at Chimera) because my kernel cache was NOT properly rebuilding itself. Booting into safe mode ignores the cache completely, so it basically "forced" a cache rebuild. If your system gets to the login screen, but you can't type in anything with a USB keyboard or move your USB mouse (like what happened to me), you may be able to remedy this by simply rebooting into safe mode a second time. I actually shut down, plugged in a PS/2 keyboard just to be safe, and then turned it back on and went to safe mode. I was able to login from there, allow everything to load, and then reboot normally.

This worked perfectly, so a big thanks to gldnbrwncouches for the guide! :D

Hi KNN,

IS WORKING NOW!!!! :D HURRAY!!!!

I am excited:)

I thought i read on your instructions line by line and to the letter, but realized that I missed the last paragraph to reboot in safe mode. I now booted in safe mode and restarted.

I got my first super working Hakintosh. Thanks KNN Thanks Again. You made my day today.:thumbup:

-Ram

Quick update on going to 10.9.3, and please read everything here before doing anything.

Before updating, MAKE SURE TO CREATE A HACKINTOSH RUNNING OFF ANY KIND OF EXTERNAL USB DRIVE. It sounds crazy, but it saved me as you're about to see. Note that the process to make this is quite simple: Using a UniBeast flash drive, install OS X Mavericks to a different flash drive plugged into the target system. Then, configure it with MultiBeast exactly how the main system is configured.

Alternatively, cloning an existing install to an external hard drive works, too.

So, now that that's out of the way...

I downloaded MultiBeast 6.3 and used this config file: View attachment MultiBeast630Config.mb
This was so everything would be up-to-date with the new system.

Next, I downloaded the 10.9.3 Combo Updater from Apple's website (just search for it and it'll show up), and installed that. It forced my system to reboot to finish, and then I was greeted with, my favorite, the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext kernel panic.

So then I booted my special USB install, which was created per the instructions above, and loaded up MultiBeast 6.3 on that (it was kinda slow, but that's because I was using a USB 2.0 flash drive). I installed the Patched AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement to the main hackintosh drive, not the flash drive, and I could now reboot into my main mackintosh system (YAY!! :D).

Next step was to load up MultiBeast 6.3 again and install the Patched Realtek ALC898 kext, followed by a reboot to find that "VoodooPS2controller.kext is damaged." Easy fix: Loaded up MultiBeast again and installed PS2 keyboard support under the "misc" section. I'm sure this PS2 fix could have been done at the same time as the audio fix, but I didn't get the message until after I had installed the audio kext anyway.

So 10.9.3 is working, minus reboot and shutdown, of course. Strangely, though, if I boot from the USB hackintosh, I can reboot perfectly fine. Weird.

Has anyone updated successfully to Yosemite?

I'm having kernel panics even when I boot with the "-f" flag.

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Unfortunately I won't be able to update until mid-December, but usually this motherboard requires a patched AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext that is not part of MultiBeast. For some reason the MultiBeast-provided ones just don't work, while random user-patched ones do.

usually this motherboard requires a patched AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext that is not part of MultiBeast.

I do know about the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement kext that you are talking about but in it is a very easy fix that just involves booting via a Unibeast flash drive and installing it with Kextbeast.

I am not able to get this far because a second kernel panic pops up pertaining to a FakeSMC issue.

EDIT:

The suggestion below about running Multibeast via a Hackintosh on a flash drive worked and I was successfully able to install the FakeSMC kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back