Contribute
Register

KNNSpeed's Build: DZ77RE-75K - Core i7-2600k - XFX 5670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice build. I'm trying a similar build but I'm having a lot of problems. Here is my setup more or less:

MB: Intel dz77re-75k
cpu: i7-3770k
gpu: geforce gtx 670
memory: 16gb corsair 1.35v DDR3 1600
hdd: 2 Samsung 830 SSDs
1 3tb Samsung Spinpoint

So as you can guess, I'm using 2 seperate SSDs, one for windows, one hopefully for OS X. I eventually plan on using the 3TB to share data between the two. The initial setup of Mountain Lion with unibeast goes fine but once I start using multibeast things get really bad. (I'm using multibeast 5.0 btw). I can install the drivers for audio, network, graphics, etc with little trouble. FakeSMC is where I start getting into trouble. FakeSMC itself doesn't seem to be causing problems, but if I try and install any plugins I usually get a failed installation followed by a KP. If I try and install system definitions I also get a KP. I suppose I can live without FakeSMC plugins or system definitions, but I still have problems booting into OS X. My bios doesn't recognize my hard drive with OS X on it so I can't use the chimera bootloader. If I press F10 I can load it that way, but it would be nice to set the boot order to boot my OS X drive first. Thanks for any help in advance.

I had issues with MultiBeast 5.0, too. It seems that after you do anything with it you MUST run "Repair Permissions" from disk utility. I don't know why they removed that option from MultiBeast itself. I know my FakeSMC is working from MultiBeast 5.0--is the KP you're getting related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, by any chance? If it is, you can't use the vanilla kext or the patched one supplied with MultiBeast. You need to use this one: Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Use the system definition for the Mac Mini for this board--ignore the Mac Pro ones entirely. Also, you might need to try typing DropSSDT=Yes at the Chimera screen WITHOUT an SSDT installed in /Extra.

By your BIOS not recognizing the OS X drive, what exactly do you mean by that? As in, can you see the model number of the drive in "Classic Mode --> Boot header --> boot drive order?

Hi, I was trying to make my build with a Gt430, but for now has a lot of issues nvidia fermi cards with mountain lion, So I have the same HD5670 you have too, would you post your modified kexts for mountain lion to try with my build? BIG BIG TKS

Thanks a ton for the help! My Hackintosh is up and running now, I haven't done a full test to make sure everything is working properly, but it appears to be going good so far. Shut down and start up are working fine. The kernel panics I was having came from a number of issues it seems. First, I wasn't repairing my permissions. I didn't use the patched kext you linked, instead using the one in multibeast. I was also trying to use a mac pro system definition instead of the mac mini. So kudos to you on all three for helping me out :). The last KP I discovered on my own and verified with a little research on google. Apparently the FakeSMC nvidia plugin does not play nicely with the GTX670 so I dropped that as well.

I'm still having issues getting bios to recognize my OS X SSD. In classic mode, the boot drive order lists my DVD drive, my windows SSD, my 3TB HDD twice (which is also a little concerning although for some reason it doesn't list it twice when not in classic mode), then it lists all the slots for my AFT card reader I have installed. So the OS X SSD is missing, however when I press F10 at post, it's listed there as an option. Also, another strange quirk with this motherboard, it wasn't listing those card reader slots yesterday but it is today. Any idea what's going on? Thanks again!

So I tried switching the Samsung SSDs around so that they used different SATA ports. I was using the two blue SATA 6 ports and I just flipped them around. It still only lists one Samsung SSD, but now it boots into chimera instead of Windows 7. What's interesting is that in this method the Windows 7 volume no longer shows up in the chimera boot menu, only the OS X and 3TB volumes appear. Previously, when I had accessed the OS X volume via the F10 boot menu, all the volumes would appear. I'm going to try using the two gray Marvell SATA 6 ports tomorrow and see how that goes. I really don't want to use the SATA 3 ports for obvious reasons.

Hi, I was trying to make my build with a Gt430, but for now has a lot of issues nvidia fermi cards with mountain lion, So I have the same HD5670 you have too, would you post your modified kexts for mountain lion to try with my build? BIG BIG TKS
Absolutely! Here you go (attachment)!
For best results, backup your original kext (copy it somewhere), unzip the modified kext on the desktop, run KextBeast, repair permissions, set "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" and "AtiConfig=Langur" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist (like in the last screenshot of the first post), and reboot.

dcdsguy said:
Thanks a ton for the help! My Hackintosh is up and running now, I haven't done a full test to make sure everything is working properly, but it appears to be going good so far. Shut down and start up are working fine. The kernel panics I was having came from a number of issues it seems. First, I wasn't repairing my permissions. I didn't use the patched kext you linked, instead using the one in multibeast. I was also trying to use a mac pro system definition instead of the mac mini. So kudos to you on all three for helping me out . The last KP I discovered on my own and verified with a little research on google. Apparently the FakeSMC nvidia plugin does not play nicely with the GTX670 so I dropped that as well.

I'm still having issues getting bios to recognize my OS X SSD. In classic mode, the boot drive order lists my DVD drive, my windows SSD, my 3TB HDD twice (which is also a little concerning although for some reason it doesn't list it twice when not in classic mode), then it lists all the slots for my AFT card reader I have installed. So the OS X SSD is missing, however when I press F10 at post, it's listed there as an option. Also, another strange quirk with this motherboard, it wasn't listing those card reader slots yesterday but it is today. Any idea what's going on? Thanks again!
Glad to hear it works!

The duplicate drive listing issue happened to me, too. It turns out one of the two duplicate listings is probably actually your "missing" SSD. I'm not sure how I made this glitch go away exactly (I think changing between Advanced and Normal categories of boot items alleviated it).

The card reader slots are there because you have "Boot to Removable Devices" enabled. The fact that it didn't appear before also happened to me; I believe much of the BIOS weirdness is simply sloppiness on Intel's part, as it's all seemed GUI-related. You are using the latest BIOS version (0049), correct?

dcdsguy said:
So I tried switching the Samsung SSDs around so that they used different SATA ports. I was using the two blue SATA 6 ports and I just flipped them around. It still only lists one Samsung SSD, but now it boots into chimera instead of Windows 7. What's interesting is that in this method the Windows 7 volume no longer shows up in the chimera boot menu, only the OS X and 3TB volumes appear. Previously, when I had accessed the OS X volume via the F10 boot menu, all the volumes would appear. I'm going to try using the two gray Marvell SATA 6 ports tomorrow and see how that goes. I really don't want to use the SATA 3 ports for obvious reasons.
The Marvell ports will prevent your OS X partition from seeing the drives on the Intel ports, just FYI. I don't know why that is, but that's just what happens. Also, switching drives around on the various ports has weird effects like what you described. If you switch the ports around, you need to fix the boot order in the BIOS, too, because it also gets screwed up.

I recently did manage to get OS X booting from an option on the Windows 7 boot manager, if that interests you instead of using Chimera for the multiboot menu.

Attachments

• ATI5000Controller.kext.zip
    105.5 KB · Views: 318
Hey KNNSpeed,

I'm really considering your motherboard because it's awesome and what this build will turn out to be is a 3770K with a MSI GTX 670 Power Edition. How was the setup process with this board? Hopefully it works great because I really like this board and I really want to use it.

Thanks

The setup was actually really smooth; the UniBeast + MultiBeast guide on the main site works great! Just remember to repair permissions in Disk Utility after you use MultiBeast 5.0. I have no experience with a 3rd generation i7 or an NVidia card, but I'm under the impression that the i7-3770K would work better than what I used (an i7-2600K).

Pretty much everything about the board is functional under OS X except HDMI audio (haven't tried it) because the board requires a Realtek enabler that I think disables HDMI audio. Also, certain very specific Thunderbolt devices just don't work with the board in general at the moment, like the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter (which seems to just blink repeatedly when plugged in). Intel says this is a compatibility issue with "adapter-like thunderbolt devices," but I'm taking it up with their technical support to see what can be done about it.

Otherwise, it is indeed a really solid board!

The setup was actually really smooth; the UniBeast + MultiBeast guide on the main site works great! Just remember to repair permissions in Disk Utility after you use MultiBeast 5.0. I have no experience with a 3rd generation i7 or an NVidia card, but I'm under the impression that the i7-3770K would work better than what I used (an i7-2600K).

Pretty much everything about the board is functional under OS X except HDMI audio (haven't tried it) because the board requires a Realtek enabler that I think disables HDMI audio. Also, certain very specific Thunderbolt devices just don't work with the board in general at the moment, like the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter (which seems to just blink repeatedly when plugged in). Intel says this is a compatibility issue with "adapter-like thunderbolt devices," but I'm taking it up with their technical support to see what can be done about it.

Otherwise, it is indeed a really solid board!

Well in that case, motherboard here I come! I really like this motherboard like I said before and now I know it's not too much hassle to get it up and running on OSX

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back