Contribute
Register

Kiwi's Next Project - iMac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the hint, Kiwi. I will try that as soon as I've finished my new tests with a tiny little P-Channel Mosfet. See my thread.

MacTester

Kiwi,

I've just implemented your "OK handshake" in the slider applet and in my Arduino sketch. It appears, that the serial communication is fixed now.

Thanks again!

Kiwi,

I've just implemented your "OK handshake" in the slider applet and in my Arduino sketch. It appears, that the serial communication is fixed now.

Thanks again!
Glad it worked, i didn't think it would be too difficult. Are you able to post your code, so I can update, or if you have a Git Hub account create a pull request.

Kiwi.

Unfortunately it's still not 100% reliable during high fan RPM...

I've added the code you suggested to the slider app and the following to the Arduino sketch:

Code:
//----Serial interface

// This function processes the inverter related serial commands
void processCommandBrightness(String subCmd, String extraCmd) {

noInterrupts();

if (subCmd.equals("R")) {
    // Brightness Read (from the Arduino)
    Serial.println(inverterBrightness);

} else if (subCmd.equals("+")) {
    // increase brightness
    increaseBrightness();
    serialCommandReceived();

} else if (subCmd.equals("-")) {
    // decrease brightness
    decreaseBrightness();
    serialCommandReceived();

} else if (subCmd.equals("W")) {
    // Brightness Write value BWnnn - nnn is the value
    adjustInverter( extraCmd.toInt() );
    serialCommandReceived();

} else if (subCmd.equals("A")) {
    // Activate Inverter
    enableInverter();
    serialCommandReceived();

} else if (subCmd.equals("D")) {
    // Deactivate Inverter
    disableInverter();
    serialCommandReceived();

} else {
    Serial.println(F("Brightness Command Unknown: BR (read), BW (write), BA (activate), BD (deactivate), B+, B- (change)"));
  }
  interrupts();
}

// This function sends "OK" back to the Slider Applet
void serialCommandReceived() {
  Serial.println("OK");
}

Hi Mactester,

Another idea to try, what about increasing the serial baud rate e.g 115k, or higher, theory being serial messages will much shorter in duration, and less chance of of overlapping with fan interrupt.

Kiwi

Hi Kiwi

Any news from your SMC project?

I've just implemented some recent changes in my sketch for the SMC prototype board with the old pinout (which is still installed in the iMac G5). It allows me to use the current version of the Brightness Menulet on the iMac G5.

MacTester

Hi Kiwi,

And congratulations for the amazing job you did on your various iMac moding ! I'm now on the same kind of project involving an A1076 iMac, which is running no more > videoboard HS. I plan to do as it was successfully done by several members here with the Intel NUC, but using a macmini instead (A 1347). That's why I came across this topic with new informations about the macMini power supply.

According to these guys, there is an easy way to use direct 12V DC to run the macMini ! :eek:

06-Mac-Mini-DC-power.jpg

That's sounds pretty good, insofar as we have three 12V DC outputs and many more GND outputs from the original iMac PSU. I'll be glad to know what you think about that, and more if you have ideas about such a build. The next step will be to connect the macMini start-up button to the G5's one ; I'm far to be done with that !

I wish you the best luck on the iMac moding way and many thanks again for sharing your expertise !

Pixys

Part 22 - Breathing LED

There has been some work done on describing the breathing led on this forum, so thought would document my implementation. From what I have read there is a 5 second cycle, where the first 1.5 seconds is the fade up, and then 3.5 seconds fade down to zero. From my observations there is also a gap at the end of the fade down, and the start of the next fade up.

Very nice work - very inspiring. As I understand it this iMac model is the Ambient Light Sensor model, is that right? Did you try to integrate the light sensor into the design so that the breathing LED would be dimmed/off when the room is dark?

-ragev

kiwi, from page 18 on the back of I/O board, regarding the wires for power switch and LED. I'm using a laptop board, not a NUC. I'm hoping to accomplish to use the power button on the rear on the iMac as well. I'm hoping to attach other ends of the leads to micro board power switch ribbon cable somehow (see attached pic) from a laptop to trigger on. I'm hoping to solder them to the ribbon (4pin) connected to MB. I'm just a little confused about the 4 pin leads. Is there a simple way to figure out which leads I should connect to? BTW, all you guys have done a remarkable jobs with these iMac G5 mods. Inspiring for some of us.

Attachments

• power switch board.jpg
    power switch board.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 195
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back