Contribute
Register

Kiwi's Next Project - iMac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my D54250 i5 Haswel NUC arrived yesterday, and have installed the OS, based on posting by WonkeyDonkey, first main issue is the lack of audio support. :(

No microphone either???? Damn, I was planning on using the NUC audio port to connect up with the iMac G4 mic. This really sucks, time to re-strategize...

So my D54250 i5 Haswel NUC arrived yesterday, and have installed the OS, based on posting by WonkeyDonkey, first main issue is the lack of audio support for motherboard.
thanks for feedback on USB audio, and I agree this is probably the safest way to implement audio, but space is always a concern a was hoping for on motherboard solution.

Turns out, as I was posting the above comment, WonkeyDonkey was updating his post with initial onboard audio support, it has issues but these may be sorted out long term. Ersterhernd re-read WD's main post.

thanks for feedback on USB audio, and I agree this is probably the safest way to implement audio, but space is always a concern a was hoping for on motherboard solution.

Turns out, as I was posting the above comment, WonkeyDonkey was updating his post with initial onboard audio support, it has issues but these may be sorted out long term. Esterhernd re-read WD's main post.

While im no expert in audio, i feel sure it will be 100% soon. Minihack has done a good job already and it is close to being all working. Part of me thinks it is due to the fact it has a single 3.5mm combination port for both audio and mic, and presumably some form of dynamic switching.

There are also some headers inside the NUC; I haven't looked myself, but its possible one of them may have audio pins available.

I also have my original voodoo audio files that work for the audio without issue. Theyre a slightly older version but worked when i tested them without the drops in audio quality. Ive never posted the details publicly, but can do if it would help.

While im no expert in audio, i feel sure it will be 100% soon. Minihack has done a good job already and it is close to being all working. Part of me thinks it is due to the fact it has a single 3.5mm combination port for both audio and mic, and presumably some form of dynamic switching.

There are also some headers inside the NUC; I haven't looked myself, but its possible one of them may have audio pins available.

I also have my original voodoo audio files that work for the audio without issue. Theyre a slightly older version but worked when i tested them without the drops in audio quality. Ive never posted the details publicly, but can do if it would help.
The custom solutions header has DMIC (Digital Mic) clock and data pins, not sure what theses are, but would have to be converted to analog format anyway, so might as well use USB Mic interface.

WonkeyDonkey, would love details of Voodoo audio files if proper audio support doesn't work out. For my build don't have HDMI audio option, need analog audio to drive internal amplifier/speakers.

Yes the OS X app was written in Xcode. I did have some help though, my code was based on the following, that actually does brightness on a real Mac laptop.

Kiwi,

could you please provide your working "Brightness Slider" Xcode project? I'd like to do some more tests with my Arduino.

Thanks in advance

MacTester

Kiwi,

could you please provide your working "Brightness Slider" Xcode project? I'd like to do some more tests with my Arduino.

Thanks in advance

MacTester
Hi there, put some comments in, hope understandable. The main code file is "AppController.m"

Kiwi

Hi Kiwi

Thanks for reply! Unfortunately it does not work. Do I have to include "arduino-serial-lib.h" (from your Xcode project) in the Arduino program? I've used the Arduino code from your post No. 38. your "SimpleTimer.h" is in the library folder.

MacTester

Hi Kiwi

Thanks for reply! Unfortunately it does not work. Do I have to include "arduino-serial-lib.h" (from your Xcode project) in the Arduino program? I've used the Arduino code from your post No. 38. your "SimpleTimer.h" is in the library folder.

MacTester
When you say it doesn't work, I assume everything compiles, nothing is crashing. The programs running on Arduino/Mac are totally different, so nothing to copy. The only issue may be the correct serial port identification In the OSX code, look for the line.

serialPort = @"/dev/tty.usbmodem1a13121";

This is the Unix device name that OSX software is trying to communicate with, and will probably need to be changed. The easiest way to get the correct string is to go into the Arduino development software, the "Tools/Serial Port" menu. There you should see the device you have connected to, this is the string you need.

My intent was to enhance the OSX code with a preferences screen CMD P to allow the Serial Port to be chosen.

Kiwi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back