Contribute
Register

Kiwi's 20" iMac i5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the positive feedback,

Kiwi this project documentation is over the top good. And I really appreciate your excellent re-engineering and innovation. Thank you for taking the time to put this post together and sharing with the community.
As you know first-hand writing up these posts takes a lot of effort, just my way of contributing back to the community.

A final product that was well worth the effort, brilliant work Kiwi... Cheers!
Thanks for ongoing support ;)

How did he manage to fit everything into that mac ?
I didn't put much explanation into basic fitting, a key is getting extension cables just the right length. The Haswell NUC just fits (with a little trimming of the NUC and the back of the case), I doubt the previous Gen NUC would fit.

Bravo! :clap: I'm planning on doing something similar so all of this is really important information.
My pleasure, Hope to see your thread real soon.

Wow! That is an awesome mod. Your attention to detail in the project AND the documentation is impressive. The resulting project is so clean and true to the original that it is a pleasure to read. Excellent job.
This project took longer than anticipated there was a lot to do, I considered getting all the ports connected, but wouldn't have got much benefit from the extra effort that would have been needed.

I was going to post more photos, but outwardly there is nothing much to differentiate from the original machine. From that respect it is my best mod, and sadly my last for a while. I have three of these mods around my home, the forth (G4 Cube) is with my after in law. so really no use for another computer.

Again thanks for all the positive comments.

Kiwi

Fantastic Job, I had hoped someone could make one of the newer non intel imacs live again. I just acquired a educational market Intel Imac model AA195 that works ok other than the LCD screen having lines thru it. It's a common defect for a lot of the early intel imacs and they made the logic board where you can't swap tie LCD for another one as the logic board reads the eprom on the controller board, if it isn't the one it's looking for, it won't work. I did find an adapter that lets you use other compatible models though, but for now I'm just using it with the mini DVI to VGA dongle cable running the display mirrored to a 17" lcd display.

I have it setup in my workshop to use as a itunes jukebox for now. Your mod has me pondering if it would be worth it to try a conversion.

Fantastic Job, I had hoped someone could make one of the newer non intel imacs live again. I just acquired a educational market Intel Imac model AA195 that works ok other than the LCD screen having lines thru it. It's a common defect for a lot of the early intel imacs and they made the logic board where you can't swap tie LCD for another one as the logic board reads the eprom on the controller board, if it isn't the one it's looking for, it won't work. I did find an adapter that lets you use other compatible models though, but for now I'm just using it with the mini DVI to VGA dongle cable running the display mirrored to a 17" lcd display.

I have it setup in my workshop to use as a itunes jukebox for now. Your mod has me pondering if it would be worth it to try a conversion.
My project was a big undertaking, but I think worth it. It really depends on what your goals are. Of course your build would be very different to my own, since the computers on the inside are radically different, the closest mod I am aware of to your model is this one.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/124456-ersterhernds-imac-g5-isight-17-project.html

However

Since your LCD has the vertical lines problem you would have to replace the LCD with I assume a third party one (cost reasons), which will come with its own complications in fitting it. Also remember that the LCD you get has to be TDMS, so it can be wired into the DVI/HDMI port on a traditional motherboard. Laptop screens are usually LVDS and require a board to convert.

I would suggest you consider purchasing an iMac G5 which is known to have a TDMS panel. When I was looking iMac G5's were inexpensive. with this you get a perfectly fitted LCD that is easy (relatively) to fit.

Kiwi

This is absolutely impressive!!!! What a great achievement!!!
And the informations you have shared are invaluable... I have an iMac G5 taking dust as it was affected by the well-known issue of the leaking capacitors, I am seriously thinking now to bring it back to life again.

Thank you!!!

When my teacher have a g5 die on her she said I can have it so might need your help I can't really explain it but damn can I fit a 4TB SSHD or 3TB or a 2TB SSHD. In there because I use alot of storage but this is nice I might need to ask you were to buy these parts
Also the codes

Kiwi, this is one amazing mod, and a fantastic guide as well! Brilliantly done, really really great. Thanks for taking the time to document your work in such detail!

Kiwi's 20" iMac i5
And here is the wiring guide

iMac%20G5%20LCD%20PinoutsV2.png

Kiwi
Im a little confused regarding the wire color on the LCD to HDMI pin allocation. Lets take HDMI pin 1-3, they are Brown/R, Brown, Brown/G. I can see Brown/R and Brown/G. What about Brown itself? There is no third. Does it mean both the red and green are spliced together and go to HDMI pin 2?

Update: I figured out its the shield wires. I missed it plain in site written on the chart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back