Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I have been attempting in vain for several weeks to get a new build hackintosh up and running. Here is where I am at...

System is built and BIOS settings completed per tonymac guide.

iBoot loads and I am able to read retail Snow Leopard Install disk.

Screen with Apple logo come up and spinning wheel starts.

After a few minutes, I get an error that indicates I need to restart the computer. The error is displayed in multiple languages.

I have retried hardware connections multiple times and even purchased another new hard drive (have tried a 64GB kingston SSD and 1TB WD Caviar).

One observation, in BIOS set up (Standard CMOS settings menu) it does not show any hard drives listed.

Has anyone encountered this error/problem? Suggestions on resolution?...I am tempted to give up and buy Windows OS but really would like to avoid this...

thanks!

Hmm, that's odd. Is the system you're building the one right below you name? If so, make sure your HDD is connected to the blue SATA ports, and not the white ones. The white ones won't run until you've set up your Mac and installed appropriate drivers.

Yes, the system I am trying to build is the one listed under my name. I tried to buy parts that were 'tried and true'. I did confirm that the hard drive is connected to the blue sata ports...I have the hard drive on port 0 (SATA2_0) and the CD drive on port 1 (SATA2_1). The hard drive is brand new...is there any formatting required?

Formatting is required but later on the installation process. Your BIOS should detect any HDD/SSD regardless of what formats it's in. I honestly don't know what to tell you other than suggesting that the motherboard could be defective. Don't take my word for it though, but when I installed OS X on mine - which happens to be the same motherboard - my BIOS detected my HDD right away. Sorry I couldn't be any more help... hopefully someone else can propose a solution. :think:

bchav said:
Hi all,

I have been attempting in vain for several weeks to get a new build hackintosh up and running. Here is where I am at...

System is built and BIOS settings completed per tonymac guide.

iBoot loads and I am able to read retail Snow Leopard Install disk.

Screen with Apple logo come up and spinning wheel starts.

After a few minutes, I get an error that indicates I need to restart the computer. The error is displayed in multiple languages.

I have retried hardware connections multiple times and even purchased another new hard drive (have tried a 64GB kingston SSD and 1TB WD Caviar).

One observation, in BIOS set up (Standard CMOS settings menu) it does not show any hard drives listed.

Has anyone encountered this error/problem? Suggestions on resolution?...I am tempted to give up and buy Windows OS but really would like to avoid this...

thanks!
Really need to see the full system component list. Optical drive make/model, for instance.

Did you check the compatibility of the graphics cards. IIRC some of the 4xxx series of ATI cards are no longer supported in SL. The Wiki section on graphics card h/w will give you some insight. Also search on your graphics card in the forums.

If you have to buy a new component or two (your motherboard and cpu are fine), check out the components in the tonmymacx86 recommend builds. (See my signature block for link.) These components work.

bchav,
There is another thread that seems to have the same issue. I just replied with how I got things to work. Check out the thread titled "10.6.8 combo update.....FORCED REBOOT (picture included)"

Good luck and I hope it can help you.

All,

Thanks for the direction on this. I will do the research on the video card to determine if that is the root cause.

B

After searching on my video card, it appears that several people have had issues with it so I guess it is not compatible :(. Now time find another that is reasonably priced and give it another go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back