Contribute
Register

kextd question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
mac pro 1,1
CPU
2x Intel Xeon> Need full CPU model name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
7300 GT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
this might not be the right place for this...my apologies if not.

when I first installed 10.9 on my fusion drive, i CCC'd a copy to a second hard drive.

later I repurposed the second hard drive into a data store and removed mavericks from this disk (did not reformat, just deleted files/folders to free up space)

now i am getting this 'error' message in the console:

com.apple.kextd: kextcache error while updating /Volumes/my second hard drive (effort count: 18)

obviously this is because system/library/extensions does not exist anymore (and because the cpu is not a neuro-net processor:think:).

question: is there a way to make kextd ignore this volume? I'd like it to stop trying to scan this volume because it is no longer a valid boot drive.

I've read the man page for the kextcache command... not really that helpful.

ran the following guessing that kextd is looking to cache all boot volumes. i didn't want to format the drive (lots of data) and just wanted to get the system off to free up the last tid bits of space for storage. My hunch is that once the system doesn't see my second drive as a valid boot volume, it will stop trying to cache the #### out of it.

very easy, but lets see if it works. :beachball:

Code:
sudo bless -info /Volumes/myseconddrive
the blessed folders are missing... and the system is like little bo peep
Code:
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[0]: 107460 => Blessed System Folder is <missing>[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[1]: 1406718 => Blessed System File is <missing>[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[2]:      0 => Open-folder linked list empty[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[3]:      0 => No alternate OS blessed file/folder[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[4]:      0 => Unused field unset[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[5]: 107460 => OS X blessed folder is <missing>[/FONT]

then I ran:
Code:
sudo bless -unbless /Volumes/myseconddrive
which hopefully tells kextd to stop looking at this drive as a bootable volume.

then i re-ran this statement to ensure it worked...
Code:
sudo bless -info /Volumes/myseconddrive
this revealed the following:
Code:
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[0]:      0 => No Blessed System Folder[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[1]:      0 => No Blessed System File[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[2]:      0 => Open-folder linked list empty[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[3]:      0 => No alternate OS blessed file/folder[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[4]:      0 => Unused field unset[/FONT]
[FONT=Andale Mono]finderinfo[5]:      0 => No OS 9 + X blessed X folder[/FONT][COLOR=#29F914][FONT=Andale Mono]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I will update the thread if unblessing my second volume prevents the kextd job from trying to cache nothing...

This did not work, just lipstick on a pig. KextD still tries to update my ex-mavericks drive.

:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back