i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have a process called "kernel_task" that is hogging 125% of my CPU resources and a large chunk of my available memory. I know it's kind-of normal on MacOS but it's really using way more than it should, making my computer run hot and fans blast full 24/7. It's also destroying my battery life which was previously 7 hours and now I'm lucky to get 90 minutes o_O

N3HDgRZ.png

I've set up everything correctly on this install including all the required DSDT/SSDT patches as detailed in the @RehabMan guide, correct config.plist settings, native power management is on point with XCPM, and a correct custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.

I literally can't figure out what could possibly be wrong? I've tried disabling all the usual suspects like photos agent and iCloud, Any ideas? :think:

Debug files attached:

Attachments

• debug_2271.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 79
I have a process called "kernel_task" that is hogging 125% of my CPU resources and a large chunk of my available memory. I know it's kind-of normal on MacOS but it's really using way more than it should, making my computer run hot and fans blast full 24/7. It's also destroying my battery life which was previously 7 hours and now I'm lucky to get 90 minutes o_O

N3HDgRZ.png

I've set up everything correctly on this install including all the required DSDT/SSDT patches as detailed in the @RehabMan guide, correct config.plist settings, native power management is on point with XCPM, and a correct custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.

I literally can't figure out what could possibly be wrong? I've tried disabling all the usual suspects like photos agent and iCloud, Any ideas? :think:

Debug files attached:

config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts should be set to "Detect".
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Your issue is likely due to AppleALC.kext (remove and test).

Okay I cleaned up my kexts and reset the cache, removed AppleALC.kext, rebooted several times... but the problem persists and is as bad as ever...

Any way to break down this kernel_task and find out what's calling on it?

Attachments

• debug_13479.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
Any way to break down this kernel_task and find out what's calling on it?

No. Process of elimination. Eliminate unnecessary kexts until you find the cause.

No. Process of elimination. Eliminate unnecessary kexts until you find the cause.

Okay thanks, I'll try now. If that doesn't work are there other causes outside kexts? Any usual suspects you know about with High Sierra?

Okay I found out the cause, it's the VoodooI2C.kext for my trackpad!! (the new VoodooI2C v2.0.1)...

Apparently the developer knows about the issue, high CPU usage is a bug unique to newer Elan 1300 trackpads, it's the same on all Linux distro's too... He's waiting for Elan to issue an update before integrating it into his kext, but they haven't for months.

Anyone else experiencing this issue, you need to revert to the old VoodooI2C.kext version 1 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back