Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just installed Yosemite with Chameleon and my system keeps giving me a kernel panic during boot or immediately after booting into the desktop. I removed the serial/parallel card I have installed and now it boots fine. Is there any way to fix this problem because I am dual booting OSX 10.10 and Win7 and I need the serial/parallel for one of my devices that I use in Windows. Is there a way to disable the serial/parallel card with boot flags on boot into OSX because I would prefer not to have to remove my card everytime I boot into Mac. My specs are below:

i5-4690K
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5
OCZ Arc 100
Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB)
StarTech Serial/Parallel (removed at the moment)

I installed Yosemite following the guide at:
http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604

Rebuilt cache and repaired permissions.

With the offending card, booting with -x flag works, but it makes the computer screen choppy and I am not sure what other effects booting into safe mode will have on applications I use in the future.

Thanks.

I just installed Yosemite with Chameleon and my system keeps giving me a kernel panic during boot or immediately after booting into the desktop. I removed the serial/parallel card I have installed and now it boots fine. Is there any way to fix this problem because I am dual booting OSX 10.10 and Win7 and I need the serial/parallel for my windows installation. Is there a way to disable the serial/parallel card with boot flags on boot into OSX because I would prefer not to have to remove my card everytime I boot into Mac. My specs are below:

i5-4690K
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5
OCZ Arc 100
Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB)
StarTech Serial/Parallel (removed at the moment)

I installed Yosemite following the guide at:
http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604

Rebuilt cache and repaired permissions.

With the offending card, booting with -x flag works, but it makes the computer screen choppy and I am not sure what other effects booting into safe mode will have on applications I use in the future.

Thanks.

Why do you need a serial / parallel card to dual-boot? I triple boot and I don't need a serial / parallel card ... :crazy:

Follow the guides on this forum for more accurate results...

I dont need the Serial/Parallel Card for dual boot. I need it in my windows because I have a couple serial/parallel devices that need it.

Ah, alright. In that case I think you can try Disabler.kext. What I think it does is disables the device of any Product ID / Vendor ID you input, although I'm not sure as I've never used it before..

Not really sure how to work this. All the disabler kext files seem to be for specific devices or motherboards or something. I am not sure becuase I am a novice, but I am not sure how I would make my own kext to stop the kernel panics.

The verbose boot shows:
IMG_0690.jpg

The lines in the red boxes dont show up unless I plug in my serial/parallel card.

If I boot normally (not verbose), the kernel panic i get is below:
IMG_0689.jpg

If anybody could shine some light on this situation, that would be great. Thanks.

Ok I may have solved the problem. I just deleted the "IOSerialFamily.kext" file from the extensions folder.

I was going to recommend doing that, but looks like you found that on your own! :D

When you remove kexts from S/L/E you should rebuild cache and repair permissions, FYI.
:thumbup:

P.S. (Off-topic) How's the i5-4690K working for you? I'm thinking of getting it for a gaming-oriented build but wanted to get the opinion of people that have it in their systems ...:lol:

When you remove kexts from S/L/E you should rebuild cache and repair permissions, FYI.
:thumbup:

P.S. (Off-topic) How's the i5-4690K working for you? I'm thinking of getting it for a gaming-oriented build but wanted to get the opinion of people that have it in their systems ...:lol:

good point. the kext removal just ended up delaying a kernel panic so i just removed the serial/parallel card for now. i will rebuild cache and repair permissions and check again.

the i5 is good. havent run it through anything intensive because ive just been trying to set up the system. however, i sort of regret not spending 50 dollars more and just getting the 4790. it would probably be a better investment. although for gaming i dont think its as important.

good point. the kext removal just ended up delaying a kernel panic so i just removed the serial/parallel card for now. i will rebuild cache and repair permissions and check again.

the i5 is good. havent run it through anything intensive because ive just been trying to set up the system. however, i sort of regret not spending 50 dollars more and just getting the 4790. it would probably be a better investment. although for gaming i dont think its as important.

Thanks for the advice / tip! :D

You can try to remove the method in your DSDT that has the serial / parallel code to disable it (in theory), but I don't think that'll work as the serial / parallel card is plug-and-play PCI right? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back