Contribute
Register

Kernel Panic with R9 290X GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm willing to try UEFI BIOS. Do I have to reinstall macOS if I do that or just Clover?

re: CPU - that's interesting. This CPU is compatible with the motherboard with the newer BIOS that I have. Would there be something that prevents macOS from taking full advantage of the CPU?

There should be no need to reinstall MacOS. Just reinstall Clover using UEFI mode. I suggest you make a new Unibeast USB boot stick using UEFI boot mode before you do the UEFI BIOS upgrade. Also remember to set the BIOS settings again after the UEFI BIOS upgrade.

I know that the GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard should work with Ivy Bridge CPUs with the latest traditional BIOS. However, Apple may not have used such a configuration in its Macs previously, and that might be a reason why you are seeing the "Unsupported CPU" and "Unsupported PCH" messages.

Flashed to UEFI BIOS, reinstalled High Sierra and it won't boot. No GPUs plugged in right now, getting ACPI error namespace lookup failure:

jCZGz8og.jpg

There should be no need to reinstall MacOS. Just reinstall Clover using UEFI mode. I suggest you make a new Unibeast USB boot stick using UEFI boot mode before you do the UEFI BIOS upgrade. Also remember to set the BIOS settings again after the UEFI BIOS upgrade.

I know that the GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard should work with Ivy Bridge CPUs with the latest traditional BIOS. However, Apple may not have used such a configuration in its Macs previously, and that might be a reason why you are seeing the "Unsupported CPU" and "Unsupported PCH" messages.

I read the first post they mentioned deleting all the AMDkexts. A reinstall would help if you want AMD graphics.

I read the first post they mentioned deleting all the AMDkexts. A reinstall would help if you want AMD graphics.

I've reinstalled and currently have no GPU plugged in. Just trying to boot with on-board graphics.

Would you mind attaching your config.plist or EFI folder? Might be very helpful - thanks!

I have attached the config.plist I used previously on that system. I have already removed the GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 board and put it back in storage, and replaced it with an older GA-Z68P-DS3 (uses traditional BIOS) in my Legacy Build.

However, I must warn you about the differences :
(1) I have never tried to run High Sierra on that system, so the config.plist is that under Sierra, which works under Clover 4045. It may be quite different from a similar config.plist under High Sierra and a more recent version of Clover.
(2) I only used older Nvidia GPUs like GT 640 or GT 240 on that system and have never tried using an AMD card or CPU integrated graphics.
(3) The CPU I used on that system was a Core i5 2405S, which is a Sandy Bridge CPU matched to the Z68 chipset.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.6 KB · Views: 126
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back